LighthouseKeepers.com

Alaska Lighthouses by HL

Posted By: RezmanDale

Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/11/00 12:24 PM

Rumor has it two Alaska lights have been made by Younger and Associates. Any guesses as to which ones (Or any inside information?)

I think Scotch Cap and Five Fingers Island
No inside info here though.

Dale :=p
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/11/00 10:44 PM

I think Scotch Cap could be a 'Gone but not Forgotten' series piece.

Here's a past discussion on this one:
www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/000140.html

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/12/00 09:34 AM

John, thanks for the link. I agree that scotch cap woudl be the best choice. Since these peices seem to be already made maybe Bill and company took your ideas to heart. It would be indeed a great tribute to those lost in the tsunami.

Dale}:=P
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/12/00 04:12 PM

Here's an even further in the past, thread about Alaskan lighthouses that Harbour Lights should create! http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/000075.html
The following thread is about flags on lighthouses and it is where Jake posted about Baranof"s Castle at Sitka. Maybe not just an Alaskan lighthouse but maybe one with a flag or 2 flags (USA & Russian). http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/000067.html

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/13/00 03:41 AM

Scotch Cap has a lot of potential. Not only as a Gone but not Forgotten but also a then and now. The old wood frame structure was distroyed by the sunami and was replaced by a reinforced concrete structure that exists today as an automated station. HL could also do a memorial line In honor of those keepers that gave their lives in the line of duty. There would be several lights that could be done in a memorial line. I think the families of those keepers that gave their lives would appreciate the honoring of their loved ones.

Dale {:=)

Dale {:=)
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/14/00 04:32 AM

I thought it was a concrete structure that was destroyed by the tsunami.

Rich

------------------

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/14/00 05:45 AM

You're right Rich.

I looked it up after I posted my last post and found that the origional wooden structure was replaced by a concrete structure in1940. the tsunami occured in 1946. The new concrete one was built higher up the hill some 116 feet above sea level and was put into service in 1950.

Dale
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/14/00 11:31 PM

Are we still trying to find out what the new Alaska HLs are? If I see Nancy Younger AL-ASK-A. (lol)

Bob (that was bad...I know)
Posted By: easya

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/15/00 03:47 AM

Did Juneau that was a bad pun?
Posted By: Todd Shorkey

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/15/00 06:04 AM

I don't usually Anchorage this type of humor, but that was pretty funny!

-Todd

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/15/00 07:07 AM

Puns are fun even if they are bad ones. share um if you NOME.

Dale |:{O
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/15/00 08:59 PM

May Eldred Rock you for your clever post Bob.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/15/00 10:58 PM

"AL-ASK-A"??? (Very creative, Bob )

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 03-15-2000).]
Posted By: RRohweder

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/16/00 01:59 AM

I hope these puns have no BERING on the choice of Alaskan Lights.

Rich

------------------
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/16/00 05:53 AM

Right back ATTU, Rich

Dave
Posted By: mombo

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/16/00 06:31 AM

I have no ALEUTIANS as to which two they'll be.
Posted By: easya

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 03:58 AM

This is the best laugh I've had all day. Thanks!

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 04:03 AM

YUKON bet if Harbour Lights makes 'em, I'll buy 'em. My advice? KATCHIKAN (if you can).
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 05:07 AM

You guys are Sitka!

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 05:07 AM

A "reliable source" may have the answer to this question. Perhaps we should ESKIMO.

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 05:50 AM

Maybe if we SHEMYA up the mast we will be able to see into Bill's office to see what's in the works. If we get real lucky, we might need a wheel BARROW to bring home all the new Alaska HL!

Dave

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 06:16 AM

INUIT would come out someday. We've been talking about an Alaskan lighthouse for some time!

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/17/00 08:26 AM

Forgive me for starting this thread.

Any guesses on what two Alaska Lights HL has in the works?

I still like Scotch Cap and Five Finger Island.

Dale|:{

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/18/00 02:24 AM

now Dale,
Don't apologize for starting this thread. It will go down as a classic and a "keeper". Ya gotta admit there have been some creative uses of Alaskan names!

Dave

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/18/00 05:40 AM

Most of them appear to be a little stark looking:
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/WEBLIGHTHOUSES/LHAK.html

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/18/00 10:22 AM

Great link Mombo!
You're right Dave
I guess I don't have to take the blame for the puns Bob M started! I will just have to PALMER off on Him!

Dale|:-{
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/18/00 06:26 PM

How about if we combine the two lighthouses for a five fingers Scotch nightcap ?

..... just a thought
Posted By: jakescol

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/18/00 06:28 PM

I guess we will find out when we do. But it doesn't matter. In June we will be cruising the Intercoastal WaterWay from Vancover to Seward. Will get some photos from the ship.

Jake
Posted By: Stan

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/19/00 01:13 AM

For what it's worth, in reply to a letter I'd written to HL suggesting several possible "gone but not forgotten lights" for future production, Kim said that Scotch Cap was considered for their first Alaskan light; however, they decided to do another (unnamed) still standing light instead. She did indicate that "a couple" on my list were planned, but carefully avoided disclosing which ones. And so the guessing game continues!

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/19/00 07:40 AM

Well, Stan, what were the ones on your list? Inquiring minds want to know.

Dave

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/19/00 10:39 AM

They are All in the plans. Just ask Bill if HL is planning on doing any light and the answer you will get is Yes it's in the plans or not this year. but never a committment on a date.

Dale |:-{
Posted By: Stan

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/20/00 02:53 PM

Dave,
Sorry for failing to include the list in my previous post. Here they are: Old St. Augustine, FL; Timbalier Bay, LA (there were 3 on this site); Cape Sarichef, AK; Cleveland, OH; Racine Reef, WI; Long Tail Pt, WI (3 here also); and Scotch Cap, AK. All of these can be seen in the Harrison/Jones book "Lost Lighthouses".
In my humble opinion, Cleveland is far and away one of the most appealing (architecturally speaking) lighthouses of those no longer standing. I'm hoping it's on HL's "to do" list.

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/21/00 04:33 AM

Stan,
Cleveland Light has a lot of support from among forumites. If HL were to announce that one I think you would hear a loud cheer!

Dave

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/21/00 09:59 AM

I agree with Dave. Cleveland would bring a cheer from the forumites. Being my birth place it would bring a great cheer from me as well. I have been working on west coast lights for my collection but have picked up Toledo Harbor and both Marble Head versions. Would gladly add Cleveland to these!

Dale|:-{ (the displaced buckeye)
Posted By: vsnlex

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/22/00 03:50 AM

Rumors..........what if the 2 lights are a then and now type arrangement. Lots of great early 1900 vintage lights and many have a dull looking 1940-50 later light. Perhaps that is the 2 Alaska light deal???
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/22/00 02:57 PM

Looks like you guys solved the strange naming of discoveries in Alaska? - By a bunch of courageous explorers who did not have the advantage of spellcheck and who were hooked on phonics!

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/22/00 04:07 PM

Just found out that I am about to have a new neighbor who moved back to this area in January from Alaska where he worked as a commercial pilot. When I next see him I'll have to ask him if he's seen the lighthouses!

Re: Alaska Lighthouses by HL - 03/22/00 11:36 PM

Mombo,

Ask him if he flew for Reeve Aleutian. Some of the best pilots you could find. Some of them a tad bit on the not-so-sane side! The days I rode their planes, it seemed as if nothing would stop them- 3 out of 4 engines running & they would fly. Passengers & mail would get thru while the Air Force let our fresh food sit on the runway at Elmendorf (Anchorage) and rot. Some of the Reeves pilots flew 4 engine props like they were a bush plane! Great pilots.

Dave
© 2024 Collector Forums