The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Wish List
  Scotch Cap Alaska

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Scotch Cap Alaska
JChidester
Saint

posted 09-16-1999 10:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On April 1, 1946, Coast Guard Lightstation Scotch Cap was destroyed with a loss of all hands by a tsunami.

Although the Coast Guard crew felt the earthquake they did not evacuate. Approximately 45 minutes passed after the earthquake before the arrival of the tsunami.

The lighthouse was 40' above local sea level and it was a 5 story building atop that rock. But the tsunami was over 100 foot high and traveling at extreme speed - typically 500 miles an hour.

Dead were:
BMC Anthony Pettit
FN1 Jack Colvin
SN1 Dewey Dykstra
SN1 Paul Ness
MM2 Leonard Pickering

Since we haven't seen any Alaskan Lighthouses yet, this would make a great first - as well as serve as a tribute to the loss of the Scotch Cap crew.

The information above and much more is at this URL:

http://www.teleport.com/~alany/uscg/ltsta.html

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 09-16-1999 11:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good suggestion John, for the first GLOP!

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-16-1999 11:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Article in Summer 1999 GLLKA Beacon about Chief Petit. One of the USCG Keeper class of Coastal Bouy Tenders named in his honor was launced 1/30/99 in Marinette, WI. (WLM 558, USCGC Anthony Petit)

I agree with Mombo, producing Scotch Cap would be a good start for GLOP series. It would also be a tribute to the members of the USCG who served as lightkeepers.

Dave

Mike Seewald
WACKO

posted 09-17-1999 06:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Seewald   Click Here to Email Mike Seewald     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It would be a fitting tribute to the U.S.C.G. for Harbour Lights to make a replica of the Scotch Cap Light.

Perhaps an additional flag on the base could have the names of the men stationed there engraved on it as well.

TheLightkeeper
WACKO

posted 09-17-1999 09:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheLightkeeper   Click Here to Email TheLightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Perhaps HL could make this a special millenium piece honoring all those who have died while on duty in the Lighthose Service.

"TheLightkeeper"

JeffB
WACKO

posted 09-17-1999 10:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JeffB   Click Here to Email JeffB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I heartily agree. What a more fitting piece for the first Alaskan lighthouse?

LamarB
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-1999 11:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LamarB   Click Here to Email LamarB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I too agree and I like Mike's idea of an additional flag in honor of those who lost their lives at Scotch Cap. Excellent idea St. John.

------------------
Keepin' the flame [This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 09-17-99).]

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-1999 08:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It wasn't until I got involved in this forum that I began to understand the important and perilous job that the Coast Guard performs for this country. Just this morning the news reported how Coast Guard helicopters were rescuing people stranded on their roofs in New Jersey due to floods from Floyd.

I would like to see them honored in a special way and this would really be a great tribute to those men who have lost their lives.

Joanne

Stan
WACKO

posted 09-17-1999 09:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Stan   Click Here to Email Stan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I heartily endorse Sir John's recommendation that HL sculpt an Alaskan lighthouse. It's the only state with lighthouses not yet represented by HL's artisans. And the rationale for your recommendation, Sir John, is well stated.

RRohweder
WACKO

posted 09-18-1999 08:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RRohweder   Click Here to Email RRohweder     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add me to the list of WACKO's that agree with the idea of putting out Scotch Cap. That's always been a story of interest to me John. Sailed through Unimak Pass lots of times, and the story of Scotch Cap always sent chills up my spine.

Rich

------------------

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-18-1999 10:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rich,

Having spent a year on the Navy's vacation paradise at Adak, appreciated the possibility of tsunamis. We had a semi-active volcano on an island not too far away, and we were pretty much at sea level.

Dave

DonnaJLM
WACKO

posted 09-22-1999 12:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DonnaJLM   Click Here to Email DonnaJLM     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add my vote to the "great idea" sentiment. Is there any memorial to the lighthouse and crew? There should be, although probably not too many people visit the site.

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-23-1999 12:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
One of the most significan memorials that can be - a ship named in honor of Chief Anthony Petit, the Lightkeeper. The crew of the USCGC Anthony Petit will learn of the man the ship is named in honor of, and as the crew moves on so will the knowledge of Chief Petit's service.

Dave

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 03-22-2000 11:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Was looking for something else and came across this link about Scotch Cap and the tsunami.

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/tsunami/general/historic/aleutian46.html

Dave

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 03-23-2000 12:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave

Thanks for the link and bringing this thread back. Fits well with the Memorial lights idea. Sure hope HL does this one.

Dale|:-{

Brent
WACKO

posted 03-23-2000 05:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It was a handsome structure in its day! I think its an Excellent idea!

Kat
WACKO

posted 03-29-2000 04:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kat   Click Here to Email Kat     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks Dave for the info on Scotch Cap, the pic was great! I also would like to endorse the making of Scotch Cap by HL in order to honor those who lost their lives. Thanks John C. for the wonderful idea.

KAT {=^+^=}

Rusty
WACKO

posted 03-30-2000 06:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rusty   Click Here to Email Rusty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great idea John! It is a sad story and I appreciate Dave's link to the story.. It was a good looking lighthouse. It's unbelievable how destructive that tsunami was. I wonder what was going through their minds when they saw that wave coming... (If they did)...

Rusty

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 03-30-2000 10:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saturday will be the 54th anniversary of this tragic event. Let's all take a moment to think of and honor those who serve mariners.

Dave

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers