The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Postcards & Papers
  St. John's Postcard Exchange discussions #2

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   St. John's Postcard Exchange discussions #2
Rod Watson
Saint

posted 10-25-2000 07:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This is the continuation thread of St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange, for commenting on cards received, questions, general notes, etc. Have fun everyone!

The original sign up thread was located at:
St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange

The original discussion thread was located at:
St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange discussions

Rod Watson[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 10-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-04-2000).]

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-25-2000 09:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I got another postcard today! This one was from Derith Bennett and I believe it was a photo she took herself of Yerba Buena, San Francisco. What a great picture Derith! Thanks!

Bob

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-26-2000 04:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Two more cards in today's mail. One of the Tybee Island Light Station from Ed Huber, and the other of my favorite nearby light, Southeast Light, Block Island, from Tom & Joyce Abbott. Keep them coming!

Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-26-2000 07:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I got three cards tody- 2 from the same people as Bob, and the third from Suzanne Murphy . She sent a picture of one of her favorites, Wind Point, WI.

Nice card of SE Block Island from Tom & Joyce. I'm going to get there eventually. The other from Ed was of 4 different GA lighthouses.

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 10-26-2000).]

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 10-26-2000 08:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I took the day off from work and went to buy my postcards. I'll be writing them tomorrow. Clue - back and forth from Orlando the same day.

Joanne

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 10-26-2000 10:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We are getting what seems like 2 postcards a day from everybody. Today we got cards from Tom and Joyce Abbott and Derith. Wow what great pictures. We love them both. Southeast Lighthouse has always been a favorite of ours. That was the first piece I gave to Roy as a birthday present in '94 and we have been collecting ever since.
Yerba Buena is always just out of our reach. Derith I am envious of you. Roy's family lives in the Bay area and each time we go for a visit we try to figure out how we can get to see it. The closest we have been is the far left lane of the Bay Bridge. I was actually able to shoot a picture of it from the bridge while Roy was driving. Guess what? It turned out. Hey Derith, Can you introduce us to the admiral sometime?
We are thouroughly enjoying all our cards and we will be sending ours out soon. Keep'm coming

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 10-27-2000 08:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This has been a great sharing of our love of lighthouses. How about a second mailing after the holidays - sometime in the first quarter of 2001?

Nana
WACKO

posted 10-27-2000 08:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll vote to send out another set after the holidays. This has been great fun! Thanks again St. John

Derith

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 10-27-2000 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm ready to go for round 2 (or should I say 3 & 4 with both post card exchanges)! Even though it has been a little challenging to get my post cards to mail, I have used resources from vacationing and family members that are located on the coast. The reward of having all the beautiful post cards come to my home has definately been worth the efforts.

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-27-2000 12:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd go for another round of this. i'd have to get some different cards, but that's doable.

Dennis

DeDo
WACKO

posted 10-27-2000 08:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have thoroughly enjoyed receiving the postcards & notes from all over. Even more than I anticipated. Many of the lighthouses I've never seen before, (even pictures).

I particularly liked the actual photo ones as sent by the Abbotts, (Tom is it a hobby or career?), Derith & Bill (Oseabee). It is seeing the lighthouse thru the eyes & camera of the sender. Unique!

Gave me an idea for the post Christmas exchange. I, as many of the forum members have hundreds of lighthouse photos. Find(!!) the negative of a few favorites, have 25 duplicates printed up and no more searching for a different lighthouse postcard. Just need the details from someone as to where to find the cardboard backing. Bill's photo was sent as is but I'm afraid those postal machines might tear up a photo itself given the chance.

I know that I have had trouble finding cards near where I live. Yes, I could drive to Long Island or New Jersey. I mean locally.

I know there have to be other photographers in our group willing to share their view of a favorite lighthouse!

Donna

Gayle M

posted 10-28-2000 12:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gayle M   Click Here to Email Gayle M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What, no postcard in the mail today? I've enjoyed each and everyone I've received. The pictures and notes have been great. I also vote for a second round. I am finishing up my cards this weekend. I am a couple short but will send out the first 22. Thanks everyone.
Gayle McKay

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-28-2000 04:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I received four postcards today but they were all from the second postcard exchange. I've received 17 cards from the "St. John's" postcard group so far. They've all been great cards!

Bob

Nana
WACKO

posted 10-29-2000 02:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Donna,

I found the backs for the postcards at my local Winn Dixie grocery store. If your local grocery has a photo department they may have them as well. I have also seen them at Eckerd's and Walgreen's also in their photo department. It was fun doing them.
Derith

DeDo
WACKO

posted 10-29-2000 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Derith,

Thanks for the postcard info. No Winn Dixie or Eckerds here in NY, but Walgreens we've got.

My brother & family were visiting over the weekend. He is a photo nut & has sent his photos as postcards. He has used backings & also made his own with white poster board, paper cutter(?) and 3M photo spray/glue?

Anyway, I loved your photo/postcard, Yerba Buena, one I've never seen or heard of before the postcard,. Did the postal people kick a fuss about hand-cancelling??

I have received 15 cards from Exchange #1, & 14 from #2. I'm looking forward to more this week!

Donna

DeDo
WACKO

posted 10-29-2000 08:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Derith,

Thanks for the postcard info. No Winn Dixie or Eckerds here in NY, but Walgreens we've got.

My brother & family were visiting over the weekend. He is a photo nut & has sent his photos as postcards. He has used backings & also made his own with white poster board, paper cutter(?) and 3M photo spray/glue?

Anyway, I loved your photo/postcard, Yerba Buena, one I've never seen or heard of before the postcard,. Did the postal people kick a fuss about hand-cancelling??

I have received 15 cards from Exchange #1, & 14 from #2. I'm looking forward to more this week!

Donna

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-30-2000 12:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Donna,

If you go to the website listed on the backing of Derith's postcard you can get a list of stores that carry the supplies.

Dennis

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 10-30-2000 04:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Another great day for lighthouse post cards. I received 3 more in todays mail from Joanne and Gayle.

I now have 19 from exchange #1 and 15 from exchange #2. They have all been different cards. Thanks again to all of you who have sent me cards.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-30-2000 05:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three more cards in the mail today! A postcard of Esopus Meadows Lighthouse from Donna Martell, and two cards from Joanne Sinatra, Ponce de Leon and a tri-picture card of Ponce, St Augustine, and St. Marks.

Bob

Gary Toth
WACKO

posted 10-30-2000 10:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Toth   Click Here to Email Gary Toth     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We have received a total of 19 postcards to date and are still waiting to receive cards from eight more enthusiasts. No postcards in the mail make the day seem "lightless".

Kay

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 10-30-2000 10:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Two more postcards in today's mail. Both from Joanne.

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-01-2000 04:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I received a fabulous card of Heceta Head Lighthouse from Gayle McKay in today's mail. That card will make a great addition to my collection! Thanks, Gayle!

Bob

Brent
WACKO

posted 11-01-2000 06:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gee....no cards, today.....
'Goes to show just how "hooked" you can get with those things....

TDSimpson
WACKO

posted 11-01-2000 08:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TDSimpson   Click Here to Email TDSimpson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Received a second card today from Joanne. That puts our total up to 18. Some are really being torn up on their way here but they all are still very nice.

Tom & Diane

chris g
WACKO

posted 11-02-2000 05:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm really having fun with this postcard exchange. As I live in Missouri, I had no ready supply for LH postcards. I was fortunate enough to remember (in spite of my advanced age) the name of a gift shop where I had purchased postcards while on vacation in Galveston in August. I simply copied a postcard that I had, then sent it to the shop with a request for 24 post cards like it. The store was kind enough to call me, let me know that they had them, and then take care of the entire transaction by Discover card! The only draw back was that it took 2 weeks for the package to arrive, but I am currently in the process of writing them and sending them out. Some of you might have received my postcard of Bolivar Point, the rest are on the way (is that anything like saying that the check is in the mail??). Anyway, it has all been great fun and I look forward to the mail each day! So great to "know" so many of you!

chris g

(edited to correct spelling)

[This message has been edited by chris g (edited 11-03-2000).]

Nana
WACKO

posted 11-02-2000 07:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My total received is 18. I truly have enjoyed each one and made silent wishes that I could travel to each one. There is not a repeat of any of the cards and I guess I have been very fortunate because all of the 18 have arrived unscathed.

Let's do it again!!!
Derith

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-02-2000 05:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Another banner day from the post office. Three more cards: Bolivar from Chris Grass, New London Ledge (one of my very favorites!) from Keri Lancelot, and St. Joseph's North Pier from Stephen "Jakers" Sostaric. These are cards I haven't seen before and will be wonderful additions to my card collection. Thanks everybody!

Bob

oseabee
WACKO

posted 11-02-2000 05:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Today I also recieved St.Josephs from Jakers,a real beautiful card.Thanks Jakers.
Bill O'Brien oseabee

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 11-11-2000 12:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My last 15 in the mail yesterday. I hope it was worth the wait?
- Bob

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 11-15-2000 06:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,
It was worth the wait. Two weeks and no postcards. And then your postcard arrived today. Wonderful picture of Long Beach Bar Lighthouse, "Bug Light".

------------------
Tom & Joyce

chris g
WACKO

posted 11-16-2000 03:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I finally completed all my postcards Monday.I hope that they all arrive safely. So far, mine have all arrived in one piece, but a few of them had some minor scrapes and tears. It has been so much fun sending and receiving these postcards! Thanks to everyone for making it work!

chris g

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 11-16-2000 10:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey everybody, Fifty is Nifty We finally made it!! With this post we officially made it to WACKO status.

Hopefully by this weekend we will have all our cards ready to mail. Hope you all like them.

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-17-2000 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
From Maureen "Mo" Atwell:

quote:
Thanks to all of those who sent postcards to Nancy, Bill and I. I have mine displayed on the window of my office. All the crew stop by to see which new ones I've received each day.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-20-2000 04:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey kids! Another postcard arrived today! This one was from Ron Foster and is a great shot of Beavertail when it was tu-tone (gray/white).

Thanks for the great card, Ron!

Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-20-2000 06:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Got the same one today also. Nice card. It even showed the right color for the lighthouse.

Dennis

oseabee
WACKO

posted 11-20-2000 08:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I know now Bill and Nancy recieved my card.It is way over top right in that great picture. Bill O'Brien oseabee

oseabee
WACKO

posted 11-20-2000 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorry Mo I didn't read right the first time around ,goodnight all. oseabee

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 11-21-2000 10:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Picked up my second 25 Saturday for Round 2 - I know next year after the holidays! But you must act when you see them "out of season." Luckily our BOD meetings are in the closed museum next to the gift shop.
- Bob

Nana
WACKO

posted 11-21-2000 10:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Bob,

I really liked your postcard....Next time I am in your 'neck of the woods' we'll have to get a boat and go out to it.
Derith

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 11-21-2000 11:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great postcard of Beavertail, thanks Ron. Your card brought back some great memories for us from the second reunion. We are almost ready to send ours out. Took longer than we thought.

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 11-27-2000 09:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well, I finally got my 25 off in the mail tonight. They are, to say the least, an eclectic group. Tried to find whatever duplicates wee had from previous lighthousing trips and couldn't find enough. So, I have created a few of my own. Hope they arrive in decent shape.

Dave

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 11-30-2000 04:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I received a card today from Carolyn and Roy of Coquille River. Thanks for all your efforts to get those cards to mail! I'm sure everyone appreciates the effort. There is only 3 people left that I haven't received a card from. What a great bunch of people!!

Has anyone decided if they want to do it again the first of next year for St John's post card exchange? I am going to be in southern California over Christmas break and would like to pick up more post cards if we are starting over.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-30-2000 04:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Lorie, ...You can count me in for another postcard exchange if it becomes a reality. It is definitely a good idea to wait until after the first of the year.

Like you, I also received that fantastic postcard of Coquille River including the letter explaining about how Roy & Carolyn got them. This card is a very welcome addition to my postcard collection! Many thanks, Roy & Carolyn!!!

Bob

DeDo
WACKO

posted 11-30-2000 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also received the beautiful Coquille River today. Such a nice letter from Carolyn & Roy! I've received 22 of the 25 on the list (not counting myself).

Looking forward to the last three. I know Dave H. said his are on the way.

I'm looking forward to another exchange in the new year!

Donna

Suzanne Murphy
WACKO

posted 11-30-2000 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Suzanne Murphy   Click Here to Email Suzanne Murphy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yes, the Coquille River postcard was beautiful and the letter was great!

Suzanne

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 11-30-2000 11:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We are glad that our card is reaching people so quickly. We would love to join everyone again for another round of swapping. Just say when.

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

RRohweder
WACKO

posted 12-02-2000 12:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RRohweder   Click Here to Email RRohweder     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add me to the list for doing this again. And thanks for the card Carolyn & Roy.

Rich

------------------

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 12-02-2000 06:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I received a post card of Grand Haven in yesterday's mail from Dave Hannum. What a great card! It will be a welcome addition to my collection! Thanks Dave!

Bob

Nana
WACKO

posted 12-02-2000 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Carolyn and Roy, the Coquille postcard is so dramatic. I wonder what time of year it was taken.

Hey Dave, the Michigan lighthouse pc got to FL just fine. Maybe one day I will see them. Retirement sounds like a good time.

Hey Ron, Thanks for the great Beavertail pc.

Only 2 more to receive and I can hardly wait to be in round 2 of sending out more.

Derith

JChidester
Saint

posted 12-04-2000 12:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
For those who've indicated interest in 'renewing' this exchange after the first of the year, please post your desire to be in one of the two 2001 Postcard Exchanges - either mailed in an envelope or mailed without and envelope.

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 12-04-2000 12:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Time to continue the discussion onto a 3rd discussion thread:

St. John's Postcard Exchange discussions #3

Rod Watson

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers