The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Postcards & Papers
  St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange
JChidester
Saint

posted 09-11-2000 09:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, got this idea while cruising the Forums.

How about a Lighthouse Post Card Exchange?

Here's how I see it working...

The exchange will accept a limited number of 'members' - say 25.

Members post or email their snail mail address to each other and within the next six months, they all agree to mail all the others in the group 1 lighthouse post card. Either the same post card to all or different ones.

Might even be able to provide mailing labels to each of the members.

So within the next six months, if you are a member of the exchange, you'll receive 25 lighthouse post cards - each different.

Your cost? About $12.50 for a 25 cards and $5 for 25 20 cent stamps.

Or we could create a 'superexchange' or 50 or 100 individuals who will send and receive 100 lighthouse Post Cards in the next 12 months (or a shorter period).

Any ideas? Improvements? Any takers?

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-11-2000 11:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm in at the "basic" level!I think it will be fun, especially if we get a cross section of the country and all the lights represented in each area.

Dave

wheland
WACKO

posted 09-12-2000 12:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like a winner to me. you can count me in this one. I'm already trying to get certain postcards and have a few extras already.

Dennis

chris g
WACKO

posted 09-12-2000 03:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd love to be part of a postcard exchange, but the reason that I want to do it is because I don't get to visit LH very often. I don't know where I would come up with postcards to send out! I probably won't get to visit any LH until at least next year (and I will be lucky if I get to do it then). How could I participate in something like this???

chris g

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 09-12-2000 09:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great idea! Count me in.

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-12-2000 10:01 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have the same problem, Chris - not too many lighthouses in Arizona, but I figure in the next 12 months, my travels will take me to some city near enough to a lighthouse that the gift shops will feature lighthouse cards.

Even if that doesn't work out, I imagine I can send a check to one of the other WACKOs who is fortunate to live near a lighthouse and ask them to buy me 25 cards. Or I can call a Hallmark store in the area of a lighthouse (or the gift shop at a lighthouse) and order up 25 cards by phone.

Sounds like this idea will fly so as you 'sign on', please count up so it's easier to know when the 25 member cut-off is reached. Once that happens, someone else can start another 'exchange group' and name it. We've got 4 committed so far (+ Chris, if you're in.)

Since I started this one, I'll name it: "St. John's Lighthouse Post Card Exchange"

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-12-2000).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 09-12-2000 02:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd be more than happy to get some NJ postcards for anyone that needs them. I'll be at the NJLHS meeting this Sat and next month we tour 11 NJ LH's and I can get them then also for the ones I can't get this wekend. If anybody wants any let me know.

Dennis

Brent
WACKO

posted 09-12-2000 08:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
'sounds like a nice idea.....you can count me in as well, John.....

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-12-2000 10:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis,
You need to load up on those NJ cards for use in the exchange! I know I'll be looking forward to getting one. By the way, you need to post the question you sent LHD here....

Dave

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-13-2000 12:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Our Buddy Mo wants to be in - she's #6.

John

chris g
WACKO

posted 09-13-2000 03:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John- you can count me in. I will do whatever I can to make it work!!

chris g

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-13-2000 09:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to be part of the post card exchange. I even know which card I'm going to send out!

Joanne

bright eyes
WACKO

posted 09-13-2000 06:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bright eyes   Click Here to Email bright eyes     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A good idea...

count me in...

Mary

(some mail for my mailman husband to
delivery!)

Gary Toth
WACKO

posted 09-13-2000 07:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Toth   Click Here to Email Gary Toth     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like an entertaining idea to me. Count Kay and I in. We'll see what we can come up with from mid-Missouri.

Gary

RRohweder
WACKO

posted 09-13-2000 10:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RRohweder   Click Here to Email RRohweder     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK John, count me in too.

Rich

------------------

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 09-13-2000 11:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I love the idea John. Please count Roy and I in on the club. We only have one lighthouse in our backyard but I am looking forward to exchanging cards with everyone. I think our only competition in the Mid-West is Gary and Kay, but I'm sure they won't mind. Hi guys, call us sometime

------------------
Roy & Carolyn

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-13-2000 11:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just about half way - 12 signed in. Lets get 12 more so we can get this show rolling!
(JC, Dave, Dennis, LI Bob, Brent, Mo, Chris, Joanne, Mary, Toth's, Rich & the McBees)

Dave

wheland
WACKO

posted 09-14-2000 01:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave,

Iactually did when I put the results of my trip on the forums. No one jumped in with a response so I sent it on to another source.

I'll make a specific post asking about it and see what happens.

Dennis

Ed14

posted 09-14-2000 04:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ed14   Click Here to Email Ed14     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in. Sounds like fun. Not any actual lighthouses in Kentucky but I'll find some cards somewhere.

Nana
WACKO

posted 09-14-2000 07:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Me too, Me Too !

I'm a bit late as my computer has been under the weather and in the shop.

Derith

RFoster
WACKO

posted 09-14-2000 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to participate in the lighthouse post card exchange.

I did something along the same lines at the HL reunion in Providence. I brought 50 lighthouse post cards (all the same lighthouse - New London Harbor, aka Pequot Light)to the reunion. I passed them out to 50 HL collectors whom I met at various times during the reunion. Along with the post card I gave each person a calling card (with my name, address & phone number) and asked them if they would send me a post card from home (or somewhere else) after the reunion.

It was lots of fun receiving the post cards in return over the following months and I'm looking forward to sending and receiving more.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Gayle M

posted 09-14-2000 11:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gayle M   Click Here to Email Gayle M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to join the postcard exchange if there is room for one more.

Dave Dutcher

posted 09-14-2000 11:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave Dutcher   Click Here to Email Dave Dutcher     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in. I think that makes 17.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-15-2000 06:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in, ...I've been swapping postcards for some time and would enjoy receiving postcards from different lights that I don't have in my postcard collection. I hope this is just lighthouse postcards. I don't collect over types.

Let me know when it starts. This will also be a great way to make more new HL friends before the reunion!

Bob

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-15-2000 12:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
18 down - 7 to go.

Who else would like to receive 25 Lighthouse Post Cards in the next 12 months?

TDSimpson
WACKO

posted 09-15-2000 02:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TDSimpson   Click Here to Email TDSimpson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count us in too. It would be fun to see where all the different cards come from.

Tom & Diane

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 09-15-2000 03:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What a great idea. If we're not too late, please count us in.

Joyce & Tom

DeDo
WACKO

posted 09-15-2000 09:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like fun. I always buy postcards of the lighthouses we visit. Now it will be fun to receive ones we haven't seen or perhaps a different card of ones we have seen.

Donna

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-15-2000 10:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
22 down - 3 to go. (One received by email)

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 09-16-2000 09:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I got my 25 postcards last night. Ready and waiting!

Kaiz
WACKO

posted 09-16-2000 09:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kaiz   Click Here to Email Kaiz     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Please count me in!

Patty

Suzanne Murphy
WACKO

posted 09-16-2000 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Suzanne Murphy   Click Here to Email Suzanne Murphy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in, sounds fun!
Suzanne

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-16-2000 12:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Room for just one more...

...then anyone who wants to can start a new thread and enroll members in their lighthouse post card exchange.

If you are a member of this exchange, you are free to join others -- and get more cards.

As someone emailed me yesterday, they think the exchange will take place well BEFORE six months. Guess we'll see if everyone in 'St. John's Lighthouse Post Card Exchange' wants to do it again.

Those in this exchange, please email your snail mail address to Joanne Sinatra. She'll accumulate the list and either email it to you or let you know how to receive a copy on peel-off labels.

Joanne.Sinatra@swpc.siemens.com?Subject=Post_card_exchange

Thanks, Joanne

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-16-2000).]

Jake
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-2000 06:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jake   Click Here to Email Jake     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If there is room for one more, count me in!!!

Jakers

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-17-2000 06:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You're in Jakers. #25

OK, everybody, if you haven't yet, please use the email link in the previous message to let Joanne know your mailing address. She'll reply within either a list or how to obtain a set of labels from her once everyone has responded.

Bill Harnsberger - don't forget, you too.

Anyone else want to start a post card exchange? Just start a new thread.

I'll be in Port Huron MI in early October, so you all will know what to expect from me!

John

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-2000 11:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jakers,
Just a little slow on the response there. Talk about getting in by the skin of your teeth. We'll just presume those nasty old teachers have been loading you up with homework.

Dave

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 09-19-2000 05:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I can't believe I missed this posting I would love to do a post card exchange if there is anyone still wanting to participate. Is there any chance of enlarging the number with John's post card exchange? I am going to be in Seattle the first week of October and could pick up my post cards there since Utah doesn't have any lighthouse pickings

[This message has been edited by Lorie Roe (edited 09-19-2000).]

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 09-20-2000 02:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In collecting some antique postcards the past year, I have found the handwritten addressed postcards and messages from the past very intriguing and interesting. I would suggest that we might set up a future "Legacy" of these postcards by handwriting the addresses and communication of these messages.
- Bob

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-20-2000 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorry, Lorie - just start a new thread and sign up individuals for "Lorie's Lighthouse Post Card Exchange."

Bob - if I hand wrote the addresses, the poor postal people wouldn't be able to deliver them.

I was thinking about using one of those clear plastic PC protectors, inserting the card and labeling and stamping the clear plastic protector so you'd end up with an unused card. However, I have to check that with my local Post Office.

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 09-21-2000 11:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I think you missed the point John. Anyone can buy an official major league baseball but how many can catch a ball in the stands during the game. I have lots of purchased mlb baseballs in the garage, but the ones I caught at a game are displayed prominently in my house. The exact point you mention, will add significance to the the recipient.

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-21-2000 11:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Right, you are, Bob...

The more personal the tie, the more 'added value' to the recipient.

So in sending out a card, a nice message that tells WHY that lighthouse is 'treasured' by the sender or when they visited it or a particular memory on that lighthouse.

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-21-2000 03:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm typing up the list of names, please send them to me if you haven't done so.

Joanne

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-21-2000 04:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Can we have an official recount please? I count Jakers as being #24 and Lori as #25.

Dave Dutcher is #17 and then there is

18 BobM
19 TDSimpson
20 Tom and Joyce Abbott
21 DeDo
22 Kaiz
23 Susanne Murphy
24 Jakers
25 Lori Roe

(I did remember to count myself!)

Joanne

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-21-2000 07:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill 'The Reviewer' Harnsberger emailed me to be included too. He doesn't show up on this thread.

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-21-2000 09:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ahhhhhhh, that explains it. I counted it three times and couldn't figure it out! Math is not my best subject, but I hoped I could count up to 25. I remember reading something about Bill, but was counting the actual replies.

Joanne

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-25-2000 04:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm waiting for one more address and then I'll email the list to everyone.

There are 26 names total.

Joanne

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-30-2000 05:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
And the winner is...

Maureen Atwell's Post Card arrived in my mailbox today. Can't wait for more.

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 09-30-2000 07:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow John,

You must have a special mail man from El Cajon, CA, who delivers extra fast. Always first with the Legacy and now the first to get a postcard.

Thanks for coming up with a wonderful idea.

Joanne

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-30-2000 08:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
You must have a special mail man from El Cajon, CA, who delivers extra fast. Always first with the Legacy and now the first to get a postcard.

One of those 'wormholes' through time and space, no doubt. A test market for the USPS. So far it's only able to handle post cards. That's why the Legacy takes so much longer.

RoyMcB
WACKO

posted 09-30-2000 11:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RoyMcB   Click Here to Email RoyMcB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John, Your 'wormhole' through time hit the mid west today as well. I spoke to Gary Toth today and it seems we both received Maureen's card in today's mail. Heads up east coast your next. This is going to be soo much fun. Thanks again for starting this up John.

Carolyn

Gayle M

posted 10-01-2000 05:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gayle M   Click Here to Email Gayle M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree this was a wonderful idea and I'm looking forward to each and every card. Since I keep my cards on the refrigerator I'm probably going to need a bigger refrigerator!

Kaiz
WACKO

posted 10-02-2000 04:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kaiz   Click Here to Email Kaiz     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Received Mo's postcard today and ours went in the mail (woman at post office thought I was a little nuts--but she doesn't know that they are being sent to "wackos").

Please let us know the ours hits the west coast.

Patty (& Mike--who is in Boston)

Kaiz

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 10-14-2000 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
St. John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange has filled up with participants. Time to close this thread. For those within the group who want to discuss the cards they received, etc. Please use the following thread:

St.John's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange discussions #1

Rod Watson[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-04-2000).]

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers