The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Latest Models
  New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   New Fresnel Lenses Have Arrived ! Part 2
Dave H
Saint

posted 04-26-2002 11:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The last post in the original thread:
quote:
Originally posted by fl_light:
gee, I'm beginning to think I made a mistake ordering these through LHD. I haven't checked the local dealers yet but I'm stuck with the Depot anyhow. I don't think I'll do that again. I put my order in back in Mid November...Anybody else having the same problem that ordered from LH Depot?

You can find the original thread here.

Dave

Suzanne Murphy
WACKO

posted 04-27-2002 03:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Suzanne Murphy   Click Here to Email Suzanne Murphy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ordered from LHD in October via the internet before I got home from the Reunion. I received my lenses on Tuesday 4/22/02. I stopped in at my local dealer on Friday and they still have not received them.

Suzanne

[This message has been edited by Suzanne Murphy (edited 04-27-2002).]

Bob M
Saint

posted 04-27-2002 05:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Both the new lenses and Hendricks were delivered to my home yesterday afternoon. I haven't had a chance to open them yet but probably will later today after work.

Bob

JChidester
Saint

posted 04-27-2002 11:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Let's not pick on Lighthouse Depot. They receive a certain number of autoship pieces as do many, but not all other dealers.

Those who ordered earliest from any dealer would be the ones to receive the pieces that arrive earliest at that dealer.

The balance of the two different fresnels are expected to ship to dealers in mid-May.

Probably by the end of May, depending on dealers shipping practices, those who have pieces on order from any dealer should receive theirs.

If you have not reserved one or both Fresnels, check around at dealers. You will probably find some unspoken for at dealers.

R Stam

posted 04-27-2002 05:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for R Stam   Click Here to Email R Stam     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ordered mine from LHD is Mid November also, fl_light. I called them this week, and John is totally correct. They got a limited number and sent them to the earliest orders. Only fair. The rest should be on the way soon.

Fortuately, I also ordered a second set early from another dealer - an he tells me he has shipped and I sould receive on Mon.

Roger

[This message has been edited by R Stam (edited 04-27-2002).]

fl_light

posted 04-27-2002 10:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for fl_light     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JChidester-
don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking Lighthouse Depot. I just thought I was getting a jump by ordering through LHD so early. My luck was not to get in on the first autoship but as I said earlier they assure me I will have mine in June (LHD gets autoship in mid-May as you say, I had already checked.) I am just surprised that so many people are finding them on there dealers shelves. I'll be getting a late b-day present instead of a X-mas present.

JoanieO
WACKO

posted 04-27-2002 11:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoanieO     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Got a call from my dealer - my two lenses are waiting for me. Picking them up on Monday. Can't wait. Have been reading all your posts about "lit" and "unlit" and can't wait to see what you all are talking about.
JoanieO

Bob M
Saint

posted 04-28-2002 08:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WOW and DOUBLE WOW!!!

I just removed the two new lenses from their respective boxes. What a fantastic discovery! These new pieces are unbelievable!

They are magnificient! They will be headed for the main curio, top shelf, front and center!

These won't last long at dealers. They look like they should cost at least three times more than what I paid.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Harbour Lights!

Bob

P.S. What is an EM-3 battery? Is it a standard size available where better batteries are sold?

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 04-28-2002 08:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,
This is the Japanese equivalent of a AA battery.

------------------
Tom & Joyce
[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-28-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-28-2002).]

Bob M
Saint

posted 04-28-2002 02:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the clarification, Tom & Joyce! I couldn't recall ever seeing an "EM-3" battery. Now that I know they're "AA's", I'll be in business.

Bob

anniemac

posted 04-28-2002 08:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for anniemac   Click Here to Email anniemac     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm not on an autoship from a dealer, and my dealer was very "OK" with the fact that I ordered from LHD - she knew she'd have more requests that could easily be obtained, and I guess it'll keep more people happy.

I've ordered MANY lighthouses from LHD, and they're easy to work with. I had one that I had to return (tiny chip) and they were EXCELLENT! very quick and easy return process...and I didn't have to wait for my dealer to "try" to get another one from HL. I have nothing but praise for LHD!

flacoastie
WACKO

posted 04-28-2002 09:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flacoastie   Click Here to Email flacoastie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LHD is an encellent company to deal with. Everything that I have ordered from them has been top notch, however, the only complaint that I've ever had with them is they overcharge for shipping stuff so they are always my last resort for ordering. They should ship by weight instead of $ value.

Rich

Daniel
WACKO

posted 04-28-2002 10:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel   Click Here to Email Daniel     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Don't feel bad fl_light about not receiving yours yet. I am on a autoshipment and haven't recieved mine yet.

Daniel

shiulong
WACKO

posted 04-28-2002 10:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for shiulong   Click Here to Email shiulong     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ordered from the dealer my daughter works for and have not recieved mine yet. They will come and until then I tease my daughters boss' about where they are in the HL food chain and what great connections they have. They have only been an HL dealer for 3 yrs so their supply of retired LE is almost nil, nope change that, it is nil.

But everything comes to he who waits or something like that.

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 04-29-2002 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
They finally made it to Cincinnati and it was worth the wait! Excellent detail at a reasonable price! All three look great sitting together in the curio! Having them to be able to light up is an added bonus!

WELL DONE ONCE AGAIN HARBOUR LIGHTS!!!

Rock
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 01:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rock   Click Here to Email Rock     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm NOT on autoship but received my pair (w/matching nos. 439) last Friday, thanks to a dealer who takes good care of me...prefer the steady glow of the beehive to the blinking clamshell, but both look great.

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 04-29-2002 07:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock, I think it's sharp that one blinks and one has a steady glow! Now we need one that has a rotating beacon! That would be something! If anyone can make it happen, this company can!

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 04-29-2002 08:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My dealer's message about the arrival of the Fresnels was on the answer machine when I got home! If they've made it to Planet Fresnel yours can't be far behind!

__
/im[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 04-29-2002).]

lmyhre
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 08:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lmyhre   Click Here to Email lmyhre     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I picked up mine over the weekend. Just to correct an earlier post, the batteries required are AAA, not AA. Two batteries are needed for each light.

Larry

MtnHkr
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 09:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MtnHkr   Click Here to Email MtnHkr     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I haven't received mine yet, but I guess I can go out and get the batteries!

Looking forward to these two after hearing all the comments. I've got a place reserved for them, top shelf!

Bert

Shortcake
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 09:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shortcake   Click Here to Email Shortcake     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My Autoship arrived today from my dealer. And yes I too have nothing but praise for the Fresnel Lens. I love both of them!

And they do take AA batteries.

Stephanie

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 10:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We'll stay with our earlier post. Both of our Fresnels take AA batteries. Maybe we have a variation.

------------------
Tom & Joyce
[This message has been edited by Tom and Joyce Abbott (edited 04-29-2002).]

Larry
WACKO

posted 04-29-2002 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Larry   Click Here to Email Larry     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lmyhre:
Just to correct an earlier post, the batteries required are AAA, not AA.

I think you may have a variation!

engbrady
Saint

posted 04-30-2002 10:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The batteries in mine are AA and the one's in the AP's were AA.....

Kyujin

posted 04-30-2002 11:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kyujin   Click Here to Email Kyujin     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
So is there a chance that there are lens that use AAA?

Lightseeker
WACKO

posted 04-30-2002 12:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lightseeker   Click Here to Email Lightseeker     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In mine, AA batteries fit - snugly - and work. But the springs that hold them in place are pretty long. My guess is that if someone inserted AAA's, there'd be enough contact that they might work too. But being smaller, they wouldn't last as long; and being a loose fit, they probably wouldn't work as well.

I don't have any AAA's around, or I'd test this theory.

Bruce

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 04-30-2002 03:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
All this talk about AA or AAA, so I tried them both and they both work! I can't think of anything that I have ever bought where you could use either/or!

mombo
Saint

posted 04-30-2002 10:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The AA's fit but as stated it's a snug fit. Had to really force one of them in. Guess it is the long spring thing!

Now these are nice pieces but it sure would have been easier if the on/off switch had been placed on the side of the base instead of the bottom, especially with how we have a two part item here. I tried to position them both so that the switches were in the same location but still find myself grabbing one of the little feet instead.

It's really neat how that tiny bulb makes the tall light in the 3rd order lens. Guess that's the nature of the beast! But to see it properly you really need to look at it at eye level.

Now we need some sort of adapter for the original lens as it just sort of sits there doing nothing!

LightHog

posted 04-30-2002 10:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LightHog   Click Here to Email LightHog     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WOW Yep, the Big Brown Truck deposited 2 new fresnels on my doorstep today.

FANTASTIC- Even got matching #'s. Not as good a ROCK, but I'm happy with 1615.

Randy, I agree, we need one that rotates/blinks now. How about the Second Order from White Shoal, now residing at Whitefish Point?

Mombo, The switch location definately could have been more convient - I hate getting fingerprints on the lens by handling it. I've tried for the last year to figure out how to light the Fifth Order, but with the solid lens mould it seems impossible. Has anyone come up with a with a solution?

Sure glad today was Christmas.

Roger

Bob M
Saint

posted 05-01-2002 05:34 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Isn't it amazing that we have products from Harbour Lights that actually light up? Everyone should remember to remove their batteries when the lens isn't going to be lit for a lengthy period of time. Batteries can corrode over time and spoil the compartment they are in.

The fresnel lenses were something the collectors at the CF asked for. Harbour Lights listened and gave us what we wanted. I'm sure there will be more lenses to follow.

Thank you, Harbour Lights!

Bob

capelookout

posted 05-01-2002 11:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for capelookout   Click Here to Email capelookout     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's the info for the flasher bulbs. They worked great in the beehive. Bulbman, Inc. 1-800-648-1163, bulb #406, 2.6V, .3AMP, E-10 base, flasher, $1.84 Ea. There is a minimum $5.00 S&H charge. They have a web site, but the bulb was not listed.

Dave H
Saint

posted 05-01-2002 11:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
capelookout,

Thanks for sharing your research with us. I'm sure several will order the bulbs. Maybe they can pool their orders, given the pretty steep shipping & handling fee.

Dave

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 05-02-2002 09:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Does anyone care to guess what might be next in the "lens" department? Will there ever be a first-order lens produced and if there is how big would that "baby" be?!?!

A rotating light in one would be great!

Talk about some thick glass in the curio! (LOL)

mombo
Saint

posted 05-02-2002 09:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks capelookout! Do you know if they have the steady bulb also and/or what the specs. for it are? Maybe these bulbs are also available in craft stores. Wouldn't hurt to look around and maybe avoid the shipping charges.

capelookout

posted 05-02-2002 02:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for capelookout   Click Here to Email capelookout     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Your welcome, Mombo. Haven't checked for the regular bulb, but I'll be glad to. While I was searching for the flasher, I forgot I also needed headlights for the vacuum. The regular bulb will be more common, and like you say, might be found somewhere like Radio Shack. The flasher bulb is a candidate for "In Search Of"

JChidester
Saint

posted 05-02-2002 02:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Don't forget to check Retired@Retail at www.HarbourLights.com if you don't have your Fresnels yet. I know there are sources there for them.

You'll also find others such as Eldred Rock, Panama Sets, Sister Island.

shiulong
WACKO

posted 05-02-2002 05:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for shiulong   Click Here to Email shiulong     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just saw the clam shell and the beehive today. Is the clam shell made of plastic? The one I saw seemed to be, but the beehive was glass. Am I wrong here?

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

JChidester
Saint

posted 05-02-2002 05:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You are WRONG. Both of the 'lenses' are made of acrylic. Sorry.

lmyhre
WACKO

posted 05-02-2002 08:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lmyhre   Click Here to Email lmyhre     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I think they're designed to take a AA1/2. Try to find one of those.(LOL)

Larry

shiulong
WACKO

posted 05-03-2002 09:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for shiulong   Click Here to Email shiulong     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Was the HL631 made of glass?

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

JChidester
Saint

posted 05-03-2002 10:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The original 5th order Fresnel 'glass' was made of clear resin.

capelookout

posted 05-03-2002 03:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for capelookout   Click Here to Email capelookout     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mombo,
The regular bulb is #14 from Bulbman,Inc. Found it online, but no price listed. Same
specs as flasher.

Stainz

posted 05-03-2002 06:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Stainz     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Are the brass parts of the lenses actually brass, or some other metal, or is it just painted acrylic? The ones on my dealer's shelf appeared cloudy in the lens area. One dealer 'bumped' the prices a tad...

Thanks!

Stainz

oseabee
WACKO

posted 05-03-2002 09:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hope I have 3 more lights to display when I get home.Bill O'Brien In Nova Scotia

JoanieO
WACKO

posted 05-04-2002 12:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoanieO     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PIcked up both fresnel lenses last Monday. They are in my curio on either side of the original HL fresnel lens. They sure do look nice. Also picked up Race Rock. Thanks for reminding me to take out the batteries to prevent damage from corrosion.
JoanieO

Dave H
Saint

posted 05-05-2002 11:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stainz,

Believe the metal work on the lenses is a plating on some variety of metal. The hold up on delivery was because they were having a difficult time getting acceptable plating done.

Dave

Rock
WACKO

posted 05-06-2002 09:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rock   Click Here to Email Rock     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The red-and-white paneled 1st order jewel at Umpqua River, Oregon would be perfect for HL's next lens.

Dave H
Saint

posted 05-07-2002 12:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Now that would be a great one for HL to make! It would be a new challenge for them.

Another neat one would be the clam shell at Point Vicente.

Dave

JChidester
Saint

posted 05-07-2002 01:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I stand corrected. The clear part of the lenses is actual clear resin, not the same as acrylic.

The brass is a plating -- awaiting an answer to the type of metal is under the plating.

John

Mark Wagner
Cruise Director

This Space
Available for
Rent - Your
Logo Here!

posted 05-07-2002 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Wagner   Click Here to Email Mark Wagner     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would think the metal is steel and probably first plated with nickel then plated with brass.

I haven't seen anyone else mention it but the beehive lens is so precise that it even creates a focal plane.

Bob M
Saint

posted 05-07-2002 12:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Is there some sort of clear coat over the plating so we'll never have to work about polishing the "green" away?

Bob

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers