Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77102 05/22/99 10:51 PM
R
Robert M Dick Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Is the market being flooded? Are we losing potential wackos because of the inability to catch up with limited editions before the cost escallates.

I started in '97 and began with Currituck and Bodie Island. The games began at that point and the race to get them was underway.

Now if I was beginning today, would I feel I had a chance? I don't think so. Anyone else see what I'm saying or am I out in left field all by myself? Let me know.

Each day I get farther behind. So many HLs and so little time!
Moby of Tidewater Virginia

Moby
Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77103 05/23/99 02:21 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
Moby,

Much as you, I would love to have one of each. However, I am unfortunately a realist and accept the fact that there are many lights I just can't, or won't, have. I have been very fortunate in locating a reasonable number of retired (some for several years) pieces.

Since I direct a Consumer Credit Counseling Service helping people correct errant financial situations I have to practice what I preach. I don't have a bottomless pit of money to draw on so I search for those I really would like to have. Maybe because I visited the light, or because I especially like HL rendition of the light.

My preferred method of purchase is by lay-away which my dealer is very helpful with. I think I am the first serious collector they have seen in a while so I have been cleaning out their stock of older pieces one or two at a time. I have located some other older pieces at other area dealers and will get them acquired before long.

I do agree that it sometimes feels like a losing battle with every new batch of introductions that I want.

Just plugging along,

Dave
(Gotta get spell check for those real obvious boo-boos!)

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 05-23-99).]

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77104 05/23/99 02:52 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
>>Now if I was beginning today, would I feel I had a chance? I don't think so. <<

We've discussed this topic before and its a good question.

Believe it or not I kinda wondered the same thing in '95 when I started collecting. In retrospect I'd gauge it both easier and harder for someone to build a complete collection today - both for the same reason: there's a lot more information available about the marketplace than there used to be. By 'marketplace' I mean the price trends associated with different pieces and the factors that affect their value.

Heck, many newbies might be surprised to learn there was a time when the only way to know what a model looked like was to see one, or to see an old HL brochure. And without the Internet - where are you gonna find an old HL brochure? The Internet has made the broad spread of information possible and brought a widely dispersed collecting community together.

Its very possible to build a collection today - but you need to go about it methodically. One key is to realize its very difficult to keep up with the release of new pieces while at the same time attempting to acquire older ones. Perhaps I shouldn't say difficult, 'expensive' is more accurate.

Its a matter of where to put a finite amount of funds. As you point out, prices do continue to rise. Imo, one needs to have sufficient discipline to forgo purchase of the shiny new 10,000 edition size models and go after older ones instead. This is hard to do because so many of the new LEs are great pieces. However the vast majority of 10k pieces will still be available at retail in two years, but the Barnegats, Old Point Lomas, and New London Ledges will only be higher. New LEs ain't cheap - most are in the $70-$100 range. Many of the older and rarer 5500 series LE's can be had for just twice the cost of a new model.

My own theories on how the wacko should proceed are laid out in a 3+ part series labeled 'HL Factoid #11 - What to Buy'. These are geared specifically to the person who wishes to build a large collection.

Here's a mini-jumpgate to those postings:
Factoid #11
Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

A few more threads that touch on the topic of understanding the market place:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum16/HTML/000010.html

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum16/HTML/000010.html

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000024.html

The question is an interesting one and I hope we get some other folks to reply:
Is it still possible to build a complete collection? Is it feasible to try? :-)

From the Fog Signal Building,
__
/im
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 05-23-99).]

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77105 05/23/99 11:25 AM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I have to agree with Dave. I pretty much have given up on the idea of acquiring every piece and center my buying on the "buy what I really like" strategy. The only problem is that I like them all! With the quality and detail of the the new pieces being produced I plan my buying on trying to acquire all the new ones (that I really like) for now and always keeping my eye open for a "good deal" on an older more expensive piece to add to the collection. Having unlimited funds and being able to buy anything you want, anytime you want, sort of takes the fun out of it. Like big game hunting, you first figure out what you want, then how to get it, then hunt for it and finally you capture it. Bwanna.

Digger

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77106 05/23/99 07:22 PM
LamarB Offline
I have to agree with Tim. When he first analyzed the HL LE line his analysis made great sense to me (thanks again Tim for your insightful analysis, diligent work and for sharing it with the HL collectors community).

My HL collecting goals are: I only collect LE's. I'll most likely never have a Coquille or an original Cape Hatteras. I don't particularly collect variations, although I do have a few. Like most collectors I suspect, I have limited funds available to buying HL every month. I'd like to have a nearly complete collection some day so that I can buy and enjoy each new release when it ships.

So, when Tim's spreadsheet became available what the data hypothetically said to me was if I have $400 available for HL today, would I rather have Ocracoke at $400 or five current editions? The five current editions being considered will most likely still be available in two years at the same $400. However, the Ocracoke may well be $600 or more by then. Therefore, for my collecting goals, it's more economical for me to get Ocracoke now rather than later. So, I watch and wait and save my 'allowance' for reasonably good deals on HL's at the top of my list.

I do buy a current edition once and awhile and I do buy HL's at retail as they retire. And of course, I get all the Society pieces.

I do miss out on the excitement of new releases but this is just temporary. Plus, I get to experience it vicarously through everyone's postings in this forum.

------------------
Keepin' the flame

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77107 05/24/99 12:37 AM
L
LuvLights2 Offline
L
I must agree with the Retired first theory. Only, I refuse to think that I won't ever own an original CH or a Coquille. Reality or not, those are my ultimate goals, to top off my collection. I just need to convince my wife to allow me that luxury. I do plan to own one of each LE produced, not including variations. I have about 30 pieces and only two are current, well I'm including Hillsboro in those two. I am always searching for a deal on a retired peice. I carry the "Authorized Dealers" list in all of my vehicles. I'm kind of hesitant to purchase a current peice for the chance that I might run up on an incredible deal on a retired that I now don't have the money for because I spent it on a current. I am also careful about which retireds I purchase and how much I will pay for it. I usually ask the dealer how many of the pieces they have on hand, if it's the last one I usually get it, if there is 5 or 6 then I know I can wait. Kinda sounds like I've taken all the fun out of collecting huh? Well I don't think so, I'll always have fun collecting Harbour Lights.

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77108 05/24/99 04:52 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Will anyone ever have a complete colection? Not as long as Harbour Lights keeps creating new pieces. Oh sure, someday I suppose Younger & Associates will say "Time to hang it up. It has been a nice run, but it is time to retire!" How many more pieces to be created before HL calls it quits? The proverbial "Time will tell" answers that question. My hope is many, many years from now when each and every lighthouse has been sculpted. Until then, it is unknown what a "Complete" collection will entail.

I do think it is possible for a new collector to amass a complete collection. It would certainly help to have a lot of funding, but for those with limited funds, don't be discouraged. It will take more work, research, and patience on your part, but it is possible. You would do well to listen to what Tim says in his posts. I think his theories on what to buy are right on.

I never thought I would make it as far as I have with my collection, with the limited funds that I have available for purchases. I am about 15 LE's away from my proverbial complete collection (This does not include variations. My collection is not going there. One per customer sir, no variations included thanks). At times, I have felt like giving up. I have been discouraged, even disallusioned at times, pondering the sale of my collection, but I give myself a reality check and press on. If I didn't enjoy these little pieces of hydrostone so much, I would probably be driving a new car, live in a bigger house, ect., ect. Don't get me wrong, I still love my collection.

I will end by saying have fun and be realistic. Don't set a goal you know will be impossible to obtain. Don't be like me and get so caught up in obtaining them all that it takes away from your enjoyment of collecting. Savor each piece of your collection and appreciate what you have, be it one piece or 100. Harbour Lights are fantastic, so should be your experience in collecting them.

It's getting better all the time,

-Todd

Oh, by the way. In answer to your question, I don't think the market is being flooded or driving off potential collectors. I think that a first time buyer of Harbour Lights, buys because a piece catches their eye. Not until they buy their first few pieces and aquire some knowledge about the line, do they become wacko and worry about buying all of them, and by then it is too late. They are already hooked.

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 05-24-99).]

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77109 05/24/99 05:34 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Will anyone ever have a complete collection?

I had an opportunity recently to view what I believe is the most complete collection. This includes every limited edition made by Harbour Lights.

If the piece was made in California AND in Canada AND in Malaysia, there are 3 examples. If the Malaysian pieces were made WITH and WITHOUT rods, there are 4 total.

The collection includes the Split Rock MI AND an almost unknown Split Rock MA (upside down V actually). Perhaps 10 exist.

It also includes 4 Mukilteo - the error, the flat bottom U, the round bottom U and the copyright change on the flag.

Both original Hatteras (white top, dark green tip). Burrows OR and Burrows WA.

The collector wishes to remain anonymous. We'll call it the V.J. collection -- and those aren't their initials.

It is truly an impressive site and very nicely displayed in built-in cabinets. In some cases, wood shelves had mini-halogen lighting on the underside, in other cases, the small light-strips illuminated. All display cases had mirrored backs and the higher the shelf, the more the mirror was tilted down so that you could see the back reflection of each piece.

I have some photos in my digital camera and will post them when I can download them.

Re: Are we growing tooooooooo fast???? #77110 05/25/99 12:40 AM
A
Al and Kathy Offline
A
Wow! That must have been one impressive sight!

Kathy

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,068 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users