Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Still the Best! #76830 08/01/04 09:46 PM
flacoastie Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
After spending a lazy Sunday afternoon doing nothing but surfing the Web looking at numerous lighthouse sites I have come to this conclusion. Lighthousekeepers.com and the Collector's Forums is still the best there is. I spent hours reading over various topics on other sites and the discussions are lackluster to say the least. I did not run into a topic that is more interesting then our least interesting topic, in my opinion. The topics were uninteresting and contained nothing that a person could sink their teeth into. From what I read on these sites a person could rob a bank and it would be ok with the rest of the members. This is pretty sickening, again in my opinion. Our Forums here are interesting and have body compared to the others. The only thing we are lacking is input from our large membership. If we're not careful our site could go dead from not having new inputs from our members and this would be terrible because without this site Harbour Lights would suffer and we in general would suffer.

I challenge all who read this post and have disaggreements with Harbour Lights, this Forum and any other problems in general to take the Sunday Challenge. Visit the other lighthouse sites and see what I'm talking about. They are borinnnnnng and contain nothing but off the wall posts from the majority of the posters. I have had my say and hope to hear from a lot of our members on this subject and hope that you all will take the Sunday challenge.

Rich
Re: Still the Best! #76831 08/01/04 10:54 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
You're right, Rich. I have seen other groups...there is never any meat to the talking. Here, you can always find some juicy topic to get excited about...be it the new HL releases, the recurrent "is the market dead", the latest breaking lighthouse news, have a good laugh, or just to go back and forth about nothing.

The one thing that is nice, too, here, is that, while we are called the Collector Forums, we strike a nice balance between HL and "real" lighthouse conversation. The HL part gives a whole different dimension to the place...not like the one-sided lighthouse-only groups.

This is my favorite website, and, other than Google, the one I visit the most daily. However, we are definitely having a participation decline. We need to "rally the troops". Some of you may have seen the pie chart I made the other day of the amount of people in each rank (Wacko, Newbie, Saint, etc.). Less than ONE QUARTER have made more than 50 posts. There's great ideas, thoughts, and people out there in the depths of our member directory...all they have to do is come out of their shell.

If you're a newbie reading this, then take action yourself! Like lighthouses? Like Harbour Lights? It's easy to be active...just press that "add reply" or "add topic" button and type! Your a member in no time! laugh

Getting off the soapbox, whatever that is...

Re: Still the Best! #76832 08/01/04 11:16 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Thanks for sharing your thoughts Rich. I also prefer The Collector Forums over other sites because of the diversity and different opinions. Don't always agree with some of the comments, and don't always choose to post. But that is what is great about the Forums. Everyone is welcome to post and share their thoughts.

Greg, participation tends to slow down during the summer months when people spend more time outside. That aside, the fact that many people choose to not post is not all that uncommon. I would venture a guess that there are many people who follow the goings on here very closely, but simply choose not to post. As much as I would like to see them post, I am glad that they do participate by reading the posts.

Re: Still the Best! #76833 08/02/04 12:01 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Rich
I never wonder any other place, because I know that this forum is the best. It covers all my lighthouse needs. It is because of the few active members that work hard and keep this forum going.
I feel that this forum will never die because of the deicated diehearted collectors that keep this forum alive and above the rest.

Amen

DANIEL
Re: Still the Best! #76834 08/08/04 10:59 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
"Still the best..." You mean there are OTHERS?

Re: Still the Best! #76835 08/09/04 08:53 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED, THERE ARE NO OTHERS.

BOB

Re: Still the Best! #76836 08/10/04 11:21 PM
Tammy Wolfe Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
This site and Harbour Lights are the only lighthouse sites that I have bookmarked. I really look forward to checking this site, especially after an event. Like some, I don't post as often in the summer. Around the time we're getting ready for a vacation, I sometimes only have time to login to check my e-mail. We took 4 vacations in 4 months.

Hey Bob, I thought you were going to be fishing in northern Wisconsin.

Re: Still the Best! #76837 08/11/04 11:57 AM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yes Tammy,

You are correct. But the fish were all asleep. Too hot, I think. So we went back to my brother's house to prep it for sale. I mowed down a few dead trees with a chain saw and took a lot of orders from my sister-in-law. But the house sold yesterday.

We'll drive to the Rice Lake area on Friday and try the fishing adventure once again. The weather has gotten cooler, so maybe they'll be a tad more active.

Bob

Re: Still the Best! #76838 08/31/04 09:43 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
yeah, real active site, last post was 20 days ago on this thread

Re: Still the Best! #76839 08/31/04 11:09 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint
As of today, 27 active threads on this forum. They can't all be active all the time. But you're welcome to join in with us and participate, comment, or criticize.

We welcome you. You've just made this thread have zero days since it's last post.

Re: Still the Best! #76840 08/31/04 11:21 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Admittedly so, summer can be a little slower here at the Collector Forums, but wait and see how things pick up this fall and winter. Today is a perfect example right in this thread. There have been three posts just today.

Now roll that beautiful bean footage!

smile Bob smile

Re: Still the Best! #76841 08/31/04 11:34 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
We'll probably get a big pickup in usage soon between the summer ending frown and the Reunion news... laugh

Re: Still the Best! #76842 08/31/04 11:50 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
i guess so, i am more partial to canadian lights and there doesn't seem to be a forum for them

Re: Still the Best! #76843 09/01/04 12:15 AM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Ron, we don't have specific forums here for lighthouses from specific areas. "Lighthouse Duty" covers all of them regardless of location. I've enjoyed visiting many Canadian lighthouses and have then posted trip tales under "The Map Room". "Lighthouse Photography" also can include photos of lighthouses anywhere. If you have information and/or photos of Canadian lights please do share them with us! smile

Re: Still the Best! #76844 09/01/04 12:36 AM
R
ron154 Offline
R
oh i have many of information or pictures, of keepers, of lights and in fact am just hoping to come in pocession of photos from 1910-1950 era of canadian lights (great lakes)

Re: Still the Best! #76845 09/23/04 11:41 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
well i gave it a month and this is a pretty boring lighthouse website. any of you guys visit lighthousing.net?

Re: Still the Best! #76846 09/24/04 12:54 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Ron154
This forum covers many areas of lighthouseing.
The forum was originally created for collectors of Harbour Light collectables
And has grown to 28 topics covering pretty much all the basics of lighthouses lovers needs.
I recommend that you start a new topic. Our topics move fast and after a few days to a week a topic usually dies even though new subjects may have been entered.

Re-enter this subject under "Lighthouse Duty"
Also to answer your question about finding pictures of Canadian Lighthouses.
I highly recommend ebay. Set your search for “photos of Canadian lighthouses”
Or postcards of lighthouses. For better luck set your search for each individual lighthouse you are interested in.

DANIEL
Re: Still the Best! #76847 09/24/04 09:13 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
well i gave it a month and this is a pretty boring lighthouse website. any of you guys visit lighthousing.net?
Looks like a ploy to try and drag people over to your place, Ron. I'm glad you think our site is at least "pretty". I wouldn't say it is boring. We could have the people at the FSB send their tutor, "Blind Tony", over to your house for some individual one-on-one instruction on how to derive the most from our site. No introduction will be necessary. Blind Tony will be the only guy pulling into your driveway with a Turbo Yugo. He is a rather large individual with more hair on his knuckles then there is on my dog's head. A word of warning, if you have underground sprinklers for your lawn, make sure they are off before he arrives. He turns into a real animal when he gets wet.

eek Bob eek

Re: Still the Best! #76848 09/24/04 09:53 AM
R
ron154 Offline
R
not my place bob

Re: Still the Best! #76849 09/24/04 01:05 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Ron, I am a member of lighthousing.net as well as this forum , although I haven't spent much time over there lately.

As Daniel has stated above, this forum has primarily been composed of Harbour Lights collectors but all lighthouse enthusiasts are welcome as the topics are now more diverse.

Lighthousing.net is a good site also and is primarily focused on the lighthouses themselves, with a forum for collecting miniatures.

Each forum has it's "regulars" who have a tendency to "chit-chat" on many topics not always lighthouse or lighthouse collecting related. If you're not familiar or aquainted with those involved I don't imagine those topics would be very interesting either place.

Any forum is only as good as the contributors make it. Once again, if you have some interesting items to contribute, please feel free to do so. I'm not entirely sure, but aren't you a former Canadian lightkeeper?

Re: Still the Best! #76850 09/24/04 02:37 PM
pierhead Offline
I too am a "member" of lighthousing.net. I joined it in February of '03 and liked it so much that I never posted. Didn't find it very interesting. I suppose I could have posted something telling everyone what a @#$$#! website they had. That thought never really crossed my mind though. I just didn't go back. Let's take a long look at all the interesting conversations and discussions you've started/taken part in during your long three weeks here Ron. Oh...wait...you've only made a handful of posts in this one thread. And they've all been very constructive interesting statements. Give me a break.

Re: Still the Best! #76851 09/24/04 03:05 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
i guess i should try harder

Re: Still the Best! #76852 09/24/04 03:44 PM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by ron154:
Apparently not that's why you're visiting here? If it's so boring why are you trying to steer all the boring people to your site?

To each, their own. I'm sure both sites have their +'s and -'s. Other people on this Forum with their own website usually try to say something of interest to refer someone to their site.

Bob

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Still the Best! #76853 09/24/04 05:09 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
First of all Lighthousing.net is not Ron's website. It's Ross Tracy's. Some time ago Ross stopped by here and invited us to have a look. So I did and of course in order to post you have to "join".

There has been some quite good info on lighthouses, visiting, preservation stuff and photo sharing, etc. There is also quite a bit of personal interplay, much of which I don't care much about as I don't know the people. And you have to visit often to stay in touch with it. Frequenting both forums for that purpose can be time consuming so most of my time is spent here 'cuz I "know" the people better. That's not to say that there aren't some interesting folks "over there".

There are a number of folks from here, there and some from there stop by here.

I don't think we need to get into site bashing, or mud slinging. If you don't care for a site/forum no one makes you go there.

As for Ron, he seems to be a man of few words. If he chooses to come forward with some more info on himself and just what he's looking for perhaps we'll be able to help him find it, if it's here.

Re: Still the Best! #76854 09/24/04 05:56 PM
MelJB Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Well said Sue!

Melody
Re: Still the Best! #76855 09/24/04 06:12 PM
pierhead Offline
Here here (or hear hear)

Re: Still the Best! #76856 09/24/04 06:57 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
my apologies, it was a stupid thing to say

Re: Still the Best! #76857 09/24/04 07:16 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Apologies 100% accepted, Ron. We all say stupid things sometimes. It's part of life. I hope you probe into our group further...we'd love to have you here! My tip is to dig into the archives a bit, get a feel for the site. Any new environment takes a bit of getting used to...this one is easier than many.

I hope you continue to be a member of the Collector Forums. You seem like an interesting person! smile

Re: Still the Best! #76858 09/25/04 01:12 AM
Grover Offline
Hey,

I'm not feeling the love ...

How about just being positive and proud of where we are here without knocking other's efforts? I'm new. I'm without much standing and seeking the same comfort level I've found elsewhere. Much of this thread does not lend itself to that.

Why feel the need to be negative, to cast aspersions and ill will towards the efforts of others who expand the love and knowledge of the subject we all cherish and share?

Aren't we all trying to enlarge the base of lighthouse enthusiasts?

This appears to be a tight-knit, well organized, and highly loyal group of posters ... that's great. Be proud of that. Other sites have different tones, different demeanors ... opinions and information is expressed and shared in alternate styles.

Different isn't bad .. its just different.

Pride is one thing ... arrogance quite another ... I was touted onto this site by the references and allusions of others. I stopped by, "saw" some familiar names and faces, and decided to stick around awhile.

I would like to stay around a little bit longer .. but as I said, one needs to feel the loving a bit ...

Enjoy your weekend ... solemn best wishes to those observing tonight and tomorrow ...

Grover

"Wisdom and Strength are NOT opposing values"
Re: Still the Best! #76859 09/25/04 10:11 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Ron
Maybe we can get you interested in harbour Lights?
Have you seen the Canadian Figurines?

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/2000/hl_la_martre.htm

http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/1999/hl_coveisland.htm

My Favorite:
http://www.harbourlights.com/catalog/1999/hl_fisgard.htm

Here are some Canadian lighthouse internet sights

http://www.harbourlights.com/links/index.htm

DANIEL
Re: Still the Best! #76860 11/06/04 02:01 PM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bringing this topic to its original...well, topic...

Over the past few months, I have been looking around for the "perfect forum" for some of my other interests, much as I have found the "perfect forum" for lighthouses here. From these explorations, I can vouch that this is not only the best lighthouse forum, but it is the best forum PERIOD on any of my interests.

As evidenced by my profile, in addition to lighthouses, I also spend much of my web browsing time researching ocean liners, Land Rovers, and Olympics stuff. I went looking for the ultimate forum for each of these, and I am still looking.

First, I went to some cruise sites. I was really looking for a place to discuss the Cunard liners, both their history and "current events". I found one that looked kind of nice. I went for a several-week "trial period" of reading some posts.

But it wasn't what I was looking for. It was mostly a bunch of people saying "Who's going on the 10/16 Westbound Transatlantic?" or "How is my cabin layed out?" One day, maybe I will peruse this forum for these kinds of questions when I finally sail upon a Cunard liner, but right now, it's useless. Many other forums were the same (though I did find one where the relief captain of the QM2 often posts).

Then I went on a quest for a Land Rover forum. I found one on a great website focused on my favorite of the Land Rover vehicles, the Discovery (may you rest in peace). I love the website, and frequent the content sections often, but the forum was not what I wanted.

First of all, they cursed a LOT. That's what I like here...it's very "Greg Friendly". I really only explored the non-technical sections of the site. But it just wasn't for me. They swayed off topic a lot, and it felt like a group where it was very difficult to get into if you're new. Unfortunately, this is really the only freqented Land Rover site. I am going to continue reading it to get all the rumours and news, but I won't be posting.

Finally I went looking for an Olympic site. I found one focused on Olympic Bids, which is what my pin collecting focuses on. It also had places to talk about the upcoming "confirmed" games.

But this was the worst of them all. There was barely a topic where there was not "Your country sucks", "Americans/Canadians/Brits/Aussies/etc. are the best" or arguements about name calling in foreign languages. I couldn't stand it. Considering that the site has a GREAT content section, I was highly dissapointed by their forum.

So, I have come to the conclusion...the CF is the best forum I know of on the 'net on any topic. We don't use language alot. The parts of this topic above this post are one of the rare examples of arguing. We always have fresh, interesting, new content. I have not found another forum as great as this, and I think it's a hopeless quest.

The CF is truly still the best. laugh

Re: Still the Best! #76861 11/06/04 10:53 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
So, I have come to the conclusion...the CF is the best forum I know of on the 'net on any topic. We don't use language alot. The parts of this topic above this post are one of the rare examples of arguing. We always have fresh, interesting, new content. I have not found another forum as great as this, and I think it's a hopeless quest.

The CF is truly still the best.
Greg
I agree 100 per cent with you and the reason is that we have a great bunch of people here.

Re: Still the Best! #76862 11/06/04 11:28 PM
Grover Offline
Greg ... Mike ...

Forums were devised for the expression of opinions. The exchange of ideas and passions is what the net in general and the forums in particular seem to have been created for.

I'll only comment on the wisdom of speaking in the absolute ... there is no such thing ... absolutely no such thing.

Find your comfort level, where you feel you fit, and write your derriere off (sorry for the language) ... anyone, anywhere, anytime there is someone willing to share the same passion I have for these structures, that is a place I want to be ...

Here is fine ... there is fine, too ...

Grover

Re: Still the Best! #76863 11/06/04 11:59 PM
R
ron154 Offline
R
well i posted some pics on the "other" page but i don't think anyone cares about canadian lights, which was my comment prior, there is not much canadian content here

Re: Still the Best! #76864 11/07/04 09:05 AM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Hi Ron, ...I really don't visit the other site so would you please share your photos with us here at the Collector Forums? I think I speak for the majority of the regulars who frequent the CF, we all love photos of lighthouses, especially those we are not normally fortunate enough to view.

Post them here and share your work!

smile Bob smile

Re: Still the Best! #76865 11/07/04 01:46 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron,

You know how Americans can be- if it's not part of the US we don't care. laugh

Seriously, though Bob is right we like Lighthopuses from anywhere. I've not been to Canada since I've become a Lighthouse nut so I don't think I've ever been to any Canadian ones.

I used to go to Canada every Summer so my mother could visit her relatives in a little town called Masson in Quebec just across the river from Ottawa. She was born there and moved when she was 5 to a small town in Ny called Tupper Lake.

Post those pictures and you'll get plenty of comments.

Dennis

Re: Still the Best! #76866 11/07/04 01:52 PM
wheland Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Greg,

I have to both agree and disagree with you. I find that while HL Collectors Forum is the best for what it does- concentrate on Lighthouses beginning from the premise of collecting HL the "other" site- which I assume to be lighthousing.net does just as fine a job from the starting point of the lighthouses themselves.

I'd have to give HLCF an 11 on a scale of 1-10 and lighthousing.net a 9.5.

There are great people on both sites and in both cases they are very supportive of each other.

I'm on several other forum type sites some connected to websites and some stand alone that are music based- either Poco or the Eagles, mostly- and there is much more disarray and contention on all of them with the non- official site of Good Feelin' To Know (for Poco) being the closest I've found to the HLCF type setup. We mostly get along and when we don't we usually take it off list or we throw the malcontent off the list. This has happened only 2-3 times in the past 3-4 years.

Bottom line- from my experince with various forums, lists, groups on line the Lighthouse sites are the best behaved and helpful to each other as a class and HLCF is the top, but not by much over lighthousiong.net.

Dennis

Re: Still the Best! #76867 11/08/04 12:09 AM
R
ron154 Offline
R
ok, will try tomorrow.

Re: Still the Best! #76868 11/08/04 12:51 AM
seagirt Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Looking forward to seeing them! smile

Re: Still the Best! #76869 11/08/04 09:14 AM
Lighthouser Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Ron stated in an earlier post...
Quote:
well i posted some pics on the "other" page but i don't think anyone cares about canadian lights, which was my comment prior, there is not much canadian content here
Ron, in defense of the "other" page,your photos were posted with a link that none of us could open, and a couple of folks posted that they couldn't get in. There are several members "over there" that are generally willing to host photos when needed. If you posted that request, I'm willing to bet you'd be offered plenty of help.

The members on Lighthousing.net ALWAYS are enthusiastic to have the opportunity to view other members' photos, and they especially enjoy seeing those that are not familiar.

Speaking for the group as a staff moderator, there is a NEED for more photos and information on Canadian Lights, so please try again at LH.net as well. I expect you have a lot of knowledge and interesting stories you could share.

Judy

Judy
Re: Still the Best! #76870 11/08/04 12:11 PM
Grover Offline
Ron,

I sent you a PM with a very short, very accurate way to get your pictures posted ...

It works here ... it works on the "other" site as well ...

Give it a try ... it works ... Ivory Soap guaranteed ...

Grove

Re: Still the Best! #76871 11/08/04 12:50 PM
Bob Ott Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Grove,

Will you send it to me also? I'm still having trouble. Thank You.

bobo

Re: Still the Best! #76872 11/08/04 03:21 PM
Grover Offline
Bob,

Check your private messages .. it should be there ...

Barry

Re: Still the Best! #76873 11/09/04 02:14 AM
DANIEL Offline
Saint
Saint
Grove,

Will you add me on your list? I never took the time to figure it out.

DANIEL
Re: Still the Best! #76874 11/09/04 03:31 AM
R
ron154 Offline
R
i tried today but posting and i don't get along. all my photos seem to be just over the limit of the whats free!!!

Re: Still the Best! #76875 11/09/04 12:46 PM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
The subject has strayed somewhat from the original intent of this thread. So that it may return to its original subject, here is a final post about photos. Please, no more in this thread - see the link at the bottom of the post.

For those who wish to share photos with others here in the Collector Forums, John provides some storage space that you can use for photos that will be shared here in the Collector Forums. It is not difficult to upload and then insert an image link in a posting. Here are instructions on how to upload . At the bottom of the page is a link to the uploads page, and an email address to use if you have a problem.

Thread discussing picture uploads .

Re: Still the Best! #76876 11/09/04 01:54 PM
Grover Offline
Dave,

To get us refocused, perhaps you would like to restate the "original intent of this thread..." and let us not wander off point again ...

Grover

Re: Still the Best! #76877 11/10/04 12:53 AM
Dave H Online
Saint
Saint
Grover,

The original intent of Rich's post was to say that he felt the Collector Forums were the best site on the net for him, and he invited others to chime in with their thoughts. Much spirited discussion on the good and bad of things. However, the recent posts have moved on to photo posting. Not that photo sharing here, and on other sites, isn't a great thing. It's just that it had strayed far from the intended topic in this thread.

Please continue discussing posting photos up in the Forum about these Forums - people will benefit from the discussion. Once you figure how to upload and then display the photos it is a lot of fun. We turned Shortcake into a phot-posting machine once she got the hang of it. It really isn't that hard. Read the page linked above, give it a try, and ask questions if you have problems.

That said, I have conferred with Rich and since this thread is about where we would cut it off anyway, I am going to close it.

Dave

Moderated by  Dave H, JTimothyA 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Dave H, Rock), 1,544 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users