Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Upstate New York lighthouses #63609 10/01/07 12:36 PM
Y
Yvonnez Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
THursday of this week I plan to leave on a whirlwind tour of some Oneida Lake, Erie Canal, Cayuga lake lighthouses and wondered if anyone had tips on finding say...the Brewerton lighthouse, Frenchmans Island light, and the Cayuga lake lights including Myers Point.
I'm really looking forward to the trip as I grew up around that area...way before my lighthouse passion was established.
Thanks,
Yvonne

Yvonne
What would you do if you knew you would not fail?
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63610 10/01/07 07:01 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
This is an area of lighthouses we haven't discussed before, so several others may be watching with you to see what answers you might get. We do have some members in that area, and we did give a small donation to the Verona Beach Lighthouse folks.

Welcome to the Forums, and good luck on your trip. Be sure to come back here and share some of your adventures and pictures after the trip.

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63611 10/01/07 08:06 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yvonne,

These are directions from a listing I keep for lighthouse searches. Hopefully, others can provide you with additional information. I have not seen these lighthouses, but believe the directions are current.

Sandy

BREWERTON RANGE REAR LIGHTHOUSE, NY. Located on the north bank of the Oneida River close to county road 37 just west of US 11 in Brewerton. Site and tower closed (area is fenced), but the lighthouse can be viewed from outside the gate. Unseen.

FRENCHMAN’S ISLAND, NY. Located atop a knoll at the west end of the island, about 5 miles east southeast of Brewerton. Accessible only by boat; there are distant views from Lower South Bay on Lakeshore Drive off NY 31 on the south side of the lake, but only the very top of the lighthouse can be seen. Unseen.

VERONA BEACH (SYLVAN BEACH) LIGHTHOUSE, NY. Located at the end of 4th Avenue, off Forest Avenue and West of NY 13 in Verona Beach. Unseen.

CAYUGA LAKE, NY LIGHTHOUSES

CAYUGA INLET LIGHTHOUSE, Cayuga Lake, Lansing, NY. Located on Lighthouse Point, the east bank of the creek entrance at the southern end of the lake in Ithaca. Accessible by a hike of about 3/4-mile from the western end of Pier Road. Site open, tower closed. Unseen.

CAYUGA INLET BREAKWATER LIGHTHOUSE, Cayuga Lake, Lansing, NY. Located on a detached breakwater northwest of the creek entrance; the breakwater shelters the marina of the Allen H. Treman State Marine Park off NY 89 northwest of Ithaca. Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Unseen.

MYERS POINT LIGHTHOUSE, Cayuga Lake, Myers Park, Lansing, NY. Located on Myers Road off NY 34B, about 10 miles north of Ithaca. Site open, tower closed. Unseen.

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63612 10/01/07 08:52 PM
kory63 Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
Yvonnez,
Sis and I are the members Dave referred to!! Sis lives very close by to the Oneida Lake LH.
Sandy's directions are "on the money".
Brewerton Light for some reason is difficult for people to find and I can't understand why!
Frenchmen's Island is viewable best by boat and even then is difficult to see in any detail.
Best is the Verona Beach Light! The Association has done a lot of work on the grounds and there is a small parking lot and you can walk around! The light is not open to the public!
By the way, each of the lights are identical!! What Sis often refers to as the Sears Catalogue Lights. This in itself makes them rather unique!
Leaves are beginning to turn here in Central NY and you should have a nice trip!! Ny grape harvest is supposed to be good this year so stop at some of the Cauga L. wineries if you have a chance!
Rick & Sis
PS: Almost forgot:: welcome welcome to
the Forums!!
As you can see, question and you'll get answers!! Hope you post often w/your LH interests and experiences.

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63613 10/01/07 10:58 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Yvonne,

The area around the Brewerton Light is no longer fenced and the land around it has been cleared. You can see it easily from the road and should be able to walk right up and touch it. Well you could walk up and touch it before too if you knew where to go. wink

As mentioned all three of the Oneida Lake lighthouses were identical so if you can't see the one on Frenchman's Island you don't miss much. All you can really see from land, if you find the right spot is a skeletal extention to the top of the light. That was added when the trees grew up taller than the top of the lighthouse.

I haven't seen the lighthouse in Brewerton lately so don't know if it's had any work done on it. It's pretty grim looking compared to the one at Verona Beach which has been tended to and has had it's base painted.

Many would view these lights as non-traditional as they never had true lantern rooms and were built and maintained by the State of NY. But they are real lighthouses and quite impressive.

Hope you have a great trip and do let us know how you made out! smile

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63614 10/02/07 09:05 AM
Y
Yvonnez Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Thank you everyone. I've never been to this forum before and I'm impressed with the quick responses! I'm very much looking forward to my trip. Double treat..lighthouses and foliage. Actually perhaps a triple if I get to go to a winery! I'll let you all know how I did. I'm meeting Sandie Mattner to see the Verona Beach Lighthouse on Friday. Keep those comments and tips coming. I'll be taking my laptop with me but don't know what kind of internet hookup they have at the Oneida Lake Inn...think it's just in the lobby. Yvonne

Yvonne
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63615 10/02/07 10:17 AM
JJ Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
It's pretty hard to drive around Cayuga Lake without stumbling onto a winery.

http://www.cayugawinetrail.com/doc/map_overview.pdf

I count 12 on the West side of the lake, 2 on the East side and one on the North end. That's on a lake that's only 40 miles long. smile

Welcome back to the Finger Lakes.

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63616 10/02/07 11:03 AM
Y
Yvonnez Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
is that stumbling onto or out of the wineries? I need to know what to expect. My cat will be coming with me and I know what a lush she can be with a good bottle of wine!
Y

Yvonne
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63617 10/02/07 12:11 PM
sandy Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
biglaugh biglaugh biglaugh biglaugh

Sandy

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63618 10/03/07 11:59 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
Quote:
Originally posted by JJ:
It's pretty hard to drive around Cayuga Lake without stumbling onto a winery.

http://www.cayugawinetrail.com/doc/map_overview.pdf

I count 12 on the West side of the lake, 2 on the East side and one on the North end. That's on a lake that's only 40 miles long. smile

Welcome back to the Finger Lakes.
JJ's got his shoes off again!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63619 10/06/07 11:23 PM
mombo Offline
Saint
Saint
Hmm, think this "lighthouse kitty" prefers his/her wine on the dry side? :rolleyes:

Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63620 10/07/07 03:16 PM
PFC Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Yvonne - Welcome to the Forums! smile Let me go out on a limb and guess that I have recently met you in New Castle?

My best, smile
Paul Conlin
ALF Secretary

Help Save Our Lighthouses!

Become a part of the
American Lighthouse Foundation
P.O. Box 565
Rockland, Maine 04841

207 594-4174

www.lighthousefoundation.org
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63621 10/08/07 10:37 AM
Y
Yvonnez Offline OP
OP Offline
Y
Good morning everyone. I just returned from my trip to Upstate New York or should I say, my travel back in time. Thanks to everyone I found all my lights (13 of them), met some very wonderful people and got to share memories that have not dimmed with time. Mombo, my Siamese Tanci, decided at the last minute not to accompany me because she heard that it was going to be a very warm weekend and she tends to wilt in the heat. She asked me to bring back something sweet and thanks to your wine map, I found Goose Watch Winery that had a cream sherry and a lovely port. Tanci seems quite pleased with both!

And Paul, you're correct. We did just meet at New Castle. Small world!

As I said above I got to see 13 new lights for me from St. Johnsville where I met the harbormaster who had built the canal light, to Cooperstown and then up to Frenchman's Island and Brewerton...when I kind of scared myself wandering thru 6 foot high grass and flowers. The Brewerton light is the before picture to the lovely Verona Beach light. What a lot of work the society has done on Verona. It looks wonderful. I followed those up with a brief trip to Lake Ontario to see Sodus Point(2), Oswego, Selkirk and capped it off with Stony Point. And finally on Saturday taking advice on wineries I went down the west side of Cayuga Lake and saw the two Cayuga inlet lights and the last one at Myers Point.

I can't tell you all how much I enjoyed this time going back. it was grand. Oh...a question for anyone who might know. Penny, the owner of the Pancake House in Sylvan beach, showed me a picture of an old lighthouse at the end of a breakwater by the Erie Canal. She tells me that the base is still there. I took some pictures but don't think I could recognize it. Anyone have any more details on this light. Penny has the picture behind the counter if you're in the neighborhood.

I'll try to post some pictures today if someone can give me a hint on how to do that.

Yvonne

Yvonne
Re: Upstate New York lighthouses #63622 10/08/07 09:41 PM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
This previous thread contains discussion on picture posting. Art struggled for a bit but has been able to get over the hump and share lots of great pictures with us. We're counting on you to do the same. This page will get you started uploading, and contains a hot link to the actual upload page. If you want to experiment, best place to do so is the Test Pad. If you have problems keep checking back - one of us will be along to help.

Moderated by  wheland 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,573 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users