Not often we get a 50 msg post here in the sand box. Use this thread to fiddle with pictures by your name - please feel free to ask for help if you get stuck. Part I of this thread is available here
Ok kiddies, Marco has emerged from his lab in the FSB with a nifty trick. By now you've seen the ChiSox logo next to his name. Shazzam - how did he do it?
With HTML, of course.
Here's some sample code...
1. Go to your profile
settings - via a link available at the upper right of most forum pages. Remember this? Its where you entered your name, town, interests, etc.
2. We're gonna use the space allotted for 'City State Country'
to insert a picture.
3. Here's the sample code:
- replace the 'yourISP.com ... etc. with your own information.
- max size is 30x30 - if your picture/image is larger than that you can reduce it using the 'width' and 'height' parameters as shown in the example.
- max length of the string specifying your picture is 150 characters.
- if you exceed max size or max length, it won't work. (At least it didn't for me.)
Post your trials here - if you need more help, leave a message.
Also - the change does not appear immediately retroactive to prior messages.
1. The IMG tag - which can be used just fine in messages - will not work to put a picture by your name. You need to use HTML - see the first message in this thread for an example.
2. The image you want to post needs to be accessible by a Web server. Typically, this will be some space set aside for you by whomever you connect with to get on the Internet - aka your ISP or Internet Service Provider. You must upload your image to this space. Check w/ your ISP on how to do this.
While *you* can see an image posted here where the file resides on your local hard disk, no one else can see these.
3. If you put a very long name in your Profile 'City Country' area - it will push the name column on the page out and reduce the size of the message area. This is a no no - we'd like to keep all pages looking the same. Hence the guidelines on length, width, and size.
4. Be careful - HTML requires the ANGLE brackets <...>
The SQUARE brackets [...] do not work for a picture next to your name.
Now - if you want to you can also include your location along with your picture. Here's sample code. Just change 'My Town' to where you want to use, otherwise cut n paste* as shown in blue - then modify as appropriate for your ISP and your image.
If you're having problems - put the code you're using in a message here and I'll try to help. Unlike regular Forum messages, I don't have straightforward access to your Profile area and thus can't debug there.
[This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 04-07-2001).]