Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29769 11/07/02 11:23 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I wrapped up all my chores early today and decided to take a ride to Scituate Light, which is about an hour's drive from my house.

As I approached the light on a one-way street, I could see the ocean water rushing through the yards a block away. Once I got into the parking lot next to the light, I notice a snow plow trying to clear rocks from the exit road. The more he plowed, the faster they kept coming back in with each new wave. The Highway Department finally got a rather large frontend loader to keep the road clear.

I hung around for an hour or so, and took many pics of the rough water and the light. I haven't downloaded and adjusted them yet. I might do that tomorrow and post some in this thread. Needless to say, it was a very interesting afternoon at Scituate.

I must add the light looks great and is kept up well.

(To be continued...)

smile Bob smile

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29770 11/07/02 11:42 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Sounds like you had an exciting day, Bob. I gather the old Atlantic was kicking up her heels and sending the waves over and into the Scituate area. When I was there last, part of the base of Scituate light was buried by some rocks. A path had been cleared, but it was easy to tell that the ocean sends her fury into that area on a regular basis. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Bert wink

Bert

No mountain is too tall if your first step is belief. -Anonymous
Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29771 11/09/02 09:28 AM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Okay, kids, here some pics of the Scituate Light adventure:

This is just a calm looking pic of the light...

Here's a shot of the tower through the trees...

And now the familiar lighthouse sign...

Now the water coming over the breakwater two hours after low tide...

This is the wave that almost got me near the lighthouse base...

The sea washing the base of the light...

A wave hits the barrier by the first house after the lighthouse...

smile Bob smile

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29772 11/09/02 11:14 AM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Bob,

Just curious if any others are having a problem loading up your pictures. I get some of them but not all of them. From what I can see it looks like you had a great day at Scituate. Would love to see the rest of the pictures, but they're not loading up for me. I get one or two and then when I hit the refresh button, I get one or two others. Still haven't seen them all.

Bert smile

Bert

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29773 11/09/02 12:42 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I'm not quite sure what the picture problem is, Bert. They are stored on my AOL's FTP space. I think all the correct links are intact. I'll have to review them later today to make sure I have everything correct.

smile Bob smile

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29774 11/09/02 12:48 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Bob, I think the problem is at AOL, I was able to view the pictures that didn't load up by right clicking the missing picture icon and choosing view image (with netscape) so the links are correct, there just taking a long time to connect.

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29775 11/09/02 12:51 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Update: I managed to get all the pics displayed on this computer. I see I need to reduce the size of the first one but that can't be done from here.

smile Bob smile

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29776 11/09/02 01:09 PM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
I agree with Mark... I got them all to upload (by loading each one individually) but the aol connection is so slow that the page is timing out before they all load. Reducing the size of the first image will help with that some, Bob, but you need to just upload them here in the forums instead of on aol... I quit using aol for my images because of just this problem.

I changed that first big image to a link and it seemed to help let some the other images load up before the page timed out...

Paul

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29777 11/09/02 04:46 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
Just got back, BOb and tried again and they're loading up OK now. ON the slow side, but I'm getting them all. Must add that they're great pictures. I really like the first two for compostition on the lighthouse and the others for the shots of the water. I Like the shadow of the light in the picture of the waves washing the base of the tower. Nice touch.

Bert wink

Bert

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29778 11/09/02 06:39 PM
Bob M Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
I guess I better read up on storing pictures at the forum rather than AOL. I've had good luck with AOL in the past. I don't understand why it slowed down all of a sudden.

I did reduce the size of the first pic when I got home from work. So I'll try putting it back in again.

confused Bob confused

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29779 11/09/02 06:46 PM
Webmaster Offline
Saint
Saint

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29780 11/09/02 08:06 PM
MtnHkr Offline
Cruise Director
Cruise Director
They are loading up fast now Bob. Probably just some glitch this morning. Or maybe it was that one large picture at the beginning. Whatever it was it is now loading up at speed.

Bert laugh

Bert

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29781 11/10/02 11:13 PM
Gary Martin Offline
I don't know about yesterday, but they're certainly loading fine for me this evening.

Gary

Re: Adventure at Scituate Light (Scituate, Mass.) #29782 11/11/02 03:14 PM
lhlover Offline
Great pictures - I love the blue skies and the white lighthouse. I hate it when you get a great picture, but the sky is bleached out - happens a lot here in Florida. The sky will be a azure blue one minute and the next it will be white. Ugh! :rolleyes:

Anyways, great pictures - my hubby and I haven't made it that far up yet in our Lighthouse travels - maybe some day soon. smile

I have to say though - between you and Gary, I'm not sure which one of you will be pulled under by the Father Sea first. It's a throw up! :p Just make sure the two of you have your wills written up! If you aren't sure who to leave your Harbour Lights to - you can always keep me in mind! LOL laugh

BonnieJean
bjexum@floridalighthouses.org
Visit: www.floridalighthouses.org

Moderated by  PFC 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (fiksegts, Dave H), 1,201 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users