Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
The Event was GREAT! #124645 04/10/99 09:17 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Just got back from the Event at Warsaw Indiana today. What a great time we all had! We arrived early and beat the rush by about a half hour, this enabled me to get a few more pieces and have them signed in addition with the 10 that I took. My wife was very excited with the Thumbnail of Rose Island that Bill gave her. I thought Bill was going to fall off his chair when she asked him to sign it (I don't think they make pens that can write that small).

By getting there early we were able to have a really nice conversation with Bill and get some good pictures. It was a good thing that I reserved the event piece, they were selling like hotcakes! I talked to many non-collectors who were buying them just to take advantage of the signing opportunity. The owner told me that in the first hour he had sold more event pieces to casual visitors than actual collectors.

This was my first event, and one that I will never forget.

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124646 04/10/99 11:38 PM
Bob M Offline
Saint
Saint
Sounds like you really enjoyed the experience, Digger! I can't wait till the opportunity comes out this way. I think Nancy will be in the area first. She is supposed to be at the Snow Goose in Plymouth, Massachusetts in May. That's about a 45-50 minute ride for me...I'll be there!

Bob

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124647 04/11/99 12:16 AM
S
sidd Offline
S
I am green with envy (speaking of green--where is that shovel, digger??)
I guess for this year, if I want an event
I'll be driving 4.5+ hours. (Maybe Kim will
read this, feel sorry for us and revamp a
schedule). HUH HUH will ya willya HUH HUH

------------------
Sidd

[This message has been edited by sidd (edited 04-10-99).]

Sidd
Re: The Event was GREAT! #124648 04/11/99 10:37 PM
J
Jake's Mom Offline
J
My husband and I took Jake (Stephen) to the store event in Warsaw, Indiana. ( A two hour ride but well worth it.) It was our first store event and I must say it was very exciting. Bill Younger is a very nice man. Stephen had so much he wanted to ask but was so nervous he forgot everything. He could barely respond to Bill Younger's questions. Still, it is not a day he will soon forget.
Gravedigger I read your post and I believe you were in front of us. You were the man in the black coat with the shovel in your hand and dirt on your shoes. Right?

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124649 04/12/99 12:17 AM
F
FredKuhl Offline
Saint
Saint
F
Hey there "newbie" Jake's Mom,

I know that Stephen has been looking forward to this event for a long time. Even being tongue-tied I'm sure he enjoyed it. Bill is great with kids and I hope he loosened Stephen up. Also hope that you enjoyed it also. Now that you've found us let me repeat what has been said so often before 'join us anytime and participate'. It's all in fun and frequently informative. Tell Stephen it's past his bedtime or send him to a movie or something (or maybe take turns on the same nights).

Gpa Fred AKA The Ancient Mariner

PS I hope the shovel was clean

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124650 04/12/99 10:16 AM
S
S Dalessandro Offline
S
Bob M.

I'm also hoping to get to the store event in Plymouth. It's not much farther to get there from Marlborough.

Steve D.
Re: The Event was GREAT! #124651 04/12/99 07:57 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hey Sidd,

This one's for you.

Digger

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124652 04/12/99 08:12 PM
Digger Offline OP
Super Wacko
OP Offline
Super Wacko
Hey Jake's Mom,

That was me. I wish I would have known that was you behind me. That close to meeting! Maybe we should all wear name badges to the events so we recognize each other. I thought about standing at the door and asking everyone "Hi I'm digger, Do I know you?". But then, I probably would have scared half of them away. Next time just grab the shovel and hit me upside-the-head with it, then I'll know.

Digger

Re: The Event was GREAT! #124653 04/13/99 12:17 AM
Kat Offline
Wacko
Wacko
Larry and I went to the store event in Fort Wayne, Indiana on Saturday. I had to wait until after work before I could go and when we arrived the place was packed...we couldn't believe it!! The girls working the event said they sold out in the first hour, I am so glad we reserved our event piece. Bill told the couple in line ahead of us that the 1999 Christmas piece was going to be East Quoddy! Did he let the cat out of the bag???
Anyway, we had a great time, Bill is always so cordial and has lots of neat stories to tell. The event piece is magnificent, we also walked away with a signed St. Mark's!! I LOVE HARBOUR LIGHTS....I am working overtime so I can go out and get another curio...I've run out of room to put my new purchases and I have a LE Hilton Head coming soon!!!
Certified Wacko's,
Larry and Kat Waterson

KAT {=*+*=}
Re: The Event was GREAT! #124654 04/13/99 02:18 AM
WackoPaul Offline
Saint
Saint
For those who haven't seen or been to East Quoody, here's a picture.

It is one of my favorite lighthouse adventures, just getting to it and then taking pictures and an excellent choice for a Christmas piece.

Earlier forum on Head Harbor Lighthouse, NB or East Quoddy Lighthouse, NB
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum4/HTML/000034.html

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Onward to The Land of the Midnight Sun!
Re: The Event was GREAT! #124655 04/13/99 09:00 AM
S
Steve Offline
S
Thanks for the photo Paul. That looks to be a great Christmas selection. A unique LH with unique memories for those fortunate enough to have seen it up close!!

As for the event(s) this past weekend in Hoosierland, it sounds like both the northern Indiana and Indianapolis events were a huge success. As a collector who purely enjoys collecting lighthouses, having my pieces signed is a great way to supplement my pieces and adds to the authenticity of them. We are SO LUCKY that we have such great access to BY and that he is willing to face the throngs and work his PR magic.

I know that I don't have any problems to lay down my HL dollars after going to events. And I cannot imagine how excited I would be if I were lucky enough to attend a reunion someday.

[This message has been edited by Steve (edited 04-13-99).]

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,978
Posts184,640
Members2,579
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (DANIEL, Rock), 1,681 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SafeHarbor, Toots, Bluffhill, phtate, TexLight2022
2579 Registered Users