The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Wish List
  EAST Quoddy Light

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   EAST Quoddy Light
rsmcn
unregistered

posted 10-05-1998 04:33 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This unique lighthouse is beautifully situated on Campobello Island, Canada. It has a one-of-a-kind paint scheme, consisting of a white tower on which is painted a red vertical stripe crossed by a perpendicular red stripe.

engbrady
Saint

posted 10-07-1998 06:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree with you totally that East Quoddy should be done by Harbour Lights. It is not only a beautiful setting but a memorable trip over to see the lighthouse at low tide. I will always cherish the memory of my trip over to it to shoot pictures. You have to contend with two ladders on a slant, rocks (both slick and jagged), a narrow path through the undergrowth, a set of metal steps with a huge amount of space between the steps and lastly you can go over only during low tide. I started over to see the lighthouse at about 2 hours before the maximum low tide and took a couple of steps every time the tide receded more to reveal more sand and rocks in between two of the little islands. I felt like I was the only one to have visited the lighthouse since there were no tracks of the many lighthouse lovers who had gone before me. Maybe the challenge made it even better. If you are ever in the neighborhood and you have very good mountain goat instincts, it is something you will remember the rest of your life. The complex of the tower and the buildings are displayed as if on a stage just for your visit. One thing to remember is you should go over early at low tide because the next low tide will probably be during darkness and I would not want to try it without full daylight.

Sold on East Quoddy,
Paul L Brady

Bill Harnsberger
Cruise Director

posted 10-08-1998 05:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Harnsberger   Click Here to Email Bill Harnsberger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We visited East Quoddy last weekend and I agree with Paul 100 percent. It is a very memorable experience. Part of the fun of visiting lighthouses is, in many cases, the adventure of getting to them. East Quoddy is close to the top in my book. You actually have to put yourself through some potential peril to get there. The sheer solitude of the place is also neat. A lot of lighthouses are swarming with tourists (not that I'm complaining...the popularity of lighthouses is definitely a good thing).

Another reason this would make a great HL piece is the number of buildings at the site. There are several, including a shed for a tram, which helped bring up supplies via steel tracks. Unfortunately the Canadian Coast Guard has deemed it "surplus" and it's falling into disrepair. That sucks. If I had money to burn, I'd turn the place into a B&B.

By the way, nearby is West Quoddy Light, which Harbour Lights MUST make an open edition of next year (the original was a little light on detail and authenticity. Granted, it WAS only their third piece). Saturday night at about 8'clock, my partner and I drove to the light. No one was in the keeper's house and there probably wasn't a soul around for miles. The moon was nearly full and it was utterly serene as the light quietly went about its nightly routine in the still darkness (there's nothing like seeing a big ol' Fresnel lens in action). I thought about the festivities going on in Rhode Island. As much as I would have liked to have been there, I honestly wouldn't have traded that time at West Quoddy for anything.

East Quoddy limited edition: YES
West Quoddy open edition: YES

Bill

HCarpenter
WACKO

posted 10-10-1998 06:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HCarpenter   Click Here to Email HCarpenter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote too. I share in the joy of getting to the light and seeing the sun set from there. We fondly recall seeing the whales off the coast and our stay in Canada while searching out lighthouses on the Maine coast. This unique structure would make a wonderful addition to the International Collection and the Harbour Lights Limited Editions. Herb.

HCarpenter
WACKO

posted 10-10-1998 06:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for HCarpenter   Click Here to Email HCarpenter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote too. I share in the joy of getting to the light and seeing the sun set from there. We fondly recall seeing the whales off the coast and our stay in Canada while searching out lighthouses on the Maine coast. This unique structure would make a wonderful addition to the International Collection and the Harbour Lights Limited Editions. Herb.

thelgtkpr
unregistered

posted 10-11-1998 04:27 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to see both the east quoddy and a re-release of the west quoddy come out together as a matching set

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-25-1998 03:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy is a great choice! I would like to second that motion! All those in favor say "AYE". All contrary minded say "NO". The "AYE's" have it....so moved...make it!

Bob M.

jakescol
Cruise Director

posted 10-29-1998 10:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakescol   Click Here to Email jakescol     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yes on East Quoddy. Its a must! We visited the light after the reunion but were there at high tide. We were able to get photos by first going to the left and then way over to the right.
jake

engbrady
Saint

posted 04-13-1999 12:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just thought I would bring this one back into the current list of the last 30 days, since Bill Younger has stated that it is the 1999 Christmas Lighthouse.

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum25/HTML/000008.html

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 04-13-99).]

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 04-13-1999 08:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote! It is a unique light. What do you say...Bill, can we squeeze this one in?

Bob

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 04-13-1999 08:03 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote! It is a unique light. What do you say...Bill, can we squeeze this one in?

Bob

TURBO271
WACKO

posted 04-13-1999 05:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO271     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote. Would be a great compliment to West Quoddy.

Kat
WACKO

posted 04-13-1999 10:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kat   Click Here to Email Kat     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Like Paul stated above, I also heard BY say the East Quoddy was the 1999 Christmas piece it should be a beauty!

HCarpenter
WACKO

posted 04-17-1999 07:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for HCarpenter   Click Here to Email HCarpenter     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Is there any way to check out this information? I would love to see East Quoddy as the Christmas 1999 piece. Where do we submit our votes!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 04-17-1999 08:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Those wishing to vote for East Quoddy as the 1999 Christmas Piece can put their vote on a check made out to the "Bob Younger Memorial Fund" and mail it directly to...????

engbrady
Saint

posted 04-17-1999 12:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It is only a guess, but I think that Harbour Lights will showcase the East Quoddy 1999 Christmas Lighthouse at Rosemont. Rosemont is where I first saw and shot pictures of both White Shoal and Old Field Point.

Remember the tree? I hope Rosemont is where they debut it, since we are going there again. It looks pretty good next to the other two. You will have to imagine the snow or print up a copy and color your own snow on it.

WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

RFoster
WACKO

posted 04-18-1999 07:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Quoddy has my vote for the 1999 Christmas piece. I liked Paul's rendition so much that I printed it out and have it in the curio alongside the other Christmas pieces. Keep up the good work Paul.

Ron

Art
Cruise Director

posted 04-18-1999 01:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good idea, Ron. Hey Paul, can you do holograms?

------------------
-Art

DeDo
WACKO

posted 04-28-1999 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul,

Thanks for the pictures of East Quoddy. Saw in the rumour forum that it was to be the xmas piece. Neither of my American lighthouse guidebooks pictured it. My husband & I were very curious to see what it looked like as everyone seemed happy at its choice.

I started searching the forum & found this thread. I agree it is a very unique looking lighthouse and will be a great Christmas HL.

Donna

DeDo
WACKO

posted 04-28-1999 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul,

Thanks for the pictures of East Quoddy. Saw in the rumour forum that it was to be the xmas piece. Neither of my American lighthouse guidebooks pictured it. My husband & I were very curious to see what it looked like as everyone seemed happy at its choice.

I started searching the forum & found this thread. I agree it is a very unique looking lighthouse and will be a great Christmas HL.

Donna

Al and Kathy
WACKO

posted 04-29-1999 11:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Al and Kathy   Click Here to Email Al and Kathy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Think East Quoddy Light will be a great '99 Christmas piece. Thanks for the pictures.

Kathy

chris g
WACKO

posted 05-10-1999 01:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This piece has my vote too, espeically because of the unique daymarks. As far as a Christmas piece, that is a big OK too, but think that an LE piece would be a popular choice for collectors.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers