The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Forum About These Forums
  How about a forum category for preservation?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   How about a forum category for preservation?
DocJ44
WACKO

posted 06-22-2000 03:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was wondering if it would be possible (or useful) to create a specific forum category devoted to Lighthouse preservation and groups promoting them. I don't mean to beat a dead horse but I think this is an important issue, however previous posts can be difficult to find. IMHO, this is one of those issues where I think repetition is desirable...the more posts there are, the more likely someone will "stumble" onto it and think about what they can do to help with lighthouse preservation. Running a search under the specific category would then come up with the previous posts about specific groups as well as allow new groups without established web links to "advertise" themselves. Opinions?

Doc John

ladylightkeeper
WACKO

posted 06-22-2000 04:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ladylightkeeper   Click Here to Email ladylightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Doc John: I think your idea has great merit. I see mentions of various preservation activities and groups, and needy lighthouses being discussed or posted by wackos all the time, but scattered here and there randomly, usually inspired by someone else's message that might even branch off from the original topic of a thread.

With a separate Forum for preservation, everyone would know right where to go to post valuable information on which lights need help, which group has just started up a preservation society, if a group has just initiated their own website, who is asking for money, and on and on. A handy central place for fast access would be valuable, and especially with its Archival ability to be searched with the keys words of "preservation, restoration, dooms day list, donations," and whatever other words would best accompany each post.

This would also give a place for Forum registrants to talk about their own local hometown or state lights that need some help; tell us what needs to be done; how to help out; let us know whether they have become personally involved with hammer and paintbrush; and so on.

This Forum would help tremendously for the wacko pin project way into its future also, as a resource center. This Forum would in no way take away from John's LINKS index system, as there one can find the actual sites also; but a new Forum would just create a place where we can discuss and trade our own comments, research, and information purely on the topic of preservation, which it is not possible to do within the LINKS itself.

I think Doc John would be a very conscientious and dedicated moderator for this activity, as his interest shows on this post.

------------------
ladylightkeeper

[This message has been edited by ladylightkeeper (edited 06-23-2000).]

Brent
WACKO

posted 06-22-2000 07:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I totally agree, John....and I really think that you are "onto" something, here. "LH Preservation" is a serious "nuts & bolts" issue that needs to be kept in the forefront of anyone and everyone who has an interest in the "Lights". I applaud your suggestion and, as always, if there is anything I can do to help...feel free to let me know.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers