The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Forum About These Forums
  Posting photos and links

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Posting photos and links
drwhok9
WACKO

posted 11-01-1999 10:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for drwhok9   Click Here to Email drwhok9     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have a question for all the experts here - I have been trying to post a link to a photo album on PhotoPoint and I am in need of much help. After many tries in the Playroom I got a link to work, but only by retyping the entire address. I tried and tried to add the {url} stuff around the address, but the word wraparound kept messing everything up. Is there a way around this? The same thing happened when I tried to post just one image if I remember correctly.

Also when I now look at the album, I see the PhotoPoint box for album information which I do not see when I use other links posted by others here. Is this because I am looking at my own album? Or is this a question for PhotoPoint? I have not seen anything in their Help about removing the album information.

In advance - thank you all for all your help.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Art
Cruise Director

posted 11-01-1999 11:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doc,

Yes, even this has been discussed once before in this Forum. (I'll bet you wondered what it is we talk so much about -- no topic is safe!)

Try this thread for a start:
http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum8/HTML/000066.html

------------------
-Art

Art
Cruise Director

posted 11-01-1999 11:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
...or you can try this if html doesn't scare you:

I think this is the URL you were trying for in the Playroom:

albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423

I used the [ url ], [ /url] (UBB Code) above. The same thing can be said in html code as:

< A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423" TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/
j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423< /A>

(leave out the spaces between "<" and "A" in the opening tag, and between "<" and "/A" in the closing tag, and the result is...)

albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423

In the html string above, you can edit the line beginning with "TARGET" any way you wish. Here, I simply clicked between the "...photopoint.com/" and the "j/Album..." , then I hit "Enter" to insert a line break. This gets all your stuff in but takes two lines to do it. Naturally, this makes the link narrower so it won't wrap:

http://albums.photopoint.com/
j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423

Still with me? OK. Now try this:

Replace

"TARGET=_blank>http://albums.photopoint.com/
j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423"

with

"TARGET=_blank>INSERT THE NAME OF YOUR CHOICE HERE"

The result:

INSERT THE NAME OF YOUR CHOICE HERE

Your chosen name can be nearly anything, and you can make it very short if you like so it will not wrap:

"< A HREF="http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=120396&a=898423" TARGET=_blank>Short name< /A>"

works like this when you leave out those spaces:

Short name

Does this answer your question, or did I miss it? (Either way, the ERT of 14 minutes isn't too bad!)
------------------
-Art[This message has been edited by Art (edited 11-01-99).]

drwhok9
WACKO

posted 11-02-1999 12:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for drwhok9   Click Here to Email drwhok9     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Amazing - do you live here?
Again - thanks for the fast response. I was not expecting anything until sometime Tues. I would not have found the fast response if I had not been trying something myself and happened to look here again.

I will try your suggestions about editing the URL address to see what happens. But I will do that Tues. night as it is a bit too late now.

However I did answer my own question about the PhotoPoint album box (that box being where you can change the title and description of the current album) - it appears only if I am currently logged into PhotoPoint and trying to use the address link at the same time. I guess it looks to PhotoPoint that I am just logging in again and gives me access to my album complete with the chance to edit the album. I am not sure if you can understand this but it is no longer a concern of mine.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

Art
Cruise Director

posted 11-02-1999 12:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Doc,

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by

quote:
...when I now look at the album, I see the PhotoPoint box for album information which I do not see when I use other links posted by others here.

I'm glad you got this one figured out. I didn't see your reply until after I initially posted this follow-up. It might not pertain at all to what you asked, but since I spent ten minutes of my life constructing it, I figured I'd post it anyway. Someone might find it useful.

I think what you might be referring to is the blue PhotoPoint frame around the individual large photos??? If so, then that's an easy one:

(1) From the album of thumbnail photos, click on the desired thumbnail to bring up a larger photo in the blue Photopoint frame.

(2) Click on the larger photo to bring up the identicallarge photo without the blue PhotoPoint frame.

(3) Right click on the large photo

(4) Left click on "Properties".

(5) Highlight the Address (URL) in it's entirety.

(6) Right click in the highlighted area

(7) Click on "copy"

(8) Close the "Properties" dialog box

(9) In your Forum posting, right click where you wish to paste the URL into your posting & click on "Paste".

(10) Enclose the URL in the [ URL],[ /URL] tags or the HTML tags shown in the posting above.

If this is not what you are asking, please rephrase the question.

------------------
-Art
To acknowledge the good Doctor's self-diagnosis,

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 11-02-99).]

drwhok9
WACKO

posted 11-02-1999 08:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for drwhok9   Click Here to Email drwhok9     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yeah, I guess is somewhat confusing trying to decide how to decribe what I am talking about. The PhotoPoint album box that I am talking about is where the ablum title, description and password information are entered. This is what I was not sure if everyone was going to see when viewing my photos. It is not the same as the blue line around the photos. It is a separate box above all the photos.

I am still working on the HMTL URL links stuff. You all have given me some ideas to try and see what happens.

Much thanks again and I hope the photos are worth all this effort.

------------------
Jim

Dr. Who ?

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 11-02-1999 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's a few more tips on image posting:

Simple way to display an image

Its easier if you open two instances of your browser. Go to the web site where your image is located and display it in your browser. Then swipe the Address (url) with your mouse, press Ctrl-C (thats holding down the Control key then pressing the 'C' key) to copy the address.

In the second browser instance bring up the Message edit box, put your cursor in it, then press Ctrl-V to paste the copied Address. This saves laborious typing of Web addresses and helps avoid mistakes.

Then type in the [ img ] ... [ /img ] tags as outlined in the message referenced above.
This method uses the Forums software UBB shorthand and is simpler than HTML.

If you want to use HTML - which is pretty easy once you get the hang of it - in addition to Art's message, you might check this one: HTML image code

Don't worry about the word wrap in the Message edit box. Just let the text wrap as it will when you cut n paste.

To see more info on the Forum software UBB shorthand, check: UBB tips

Probably the simplest way to do repetitive HTML tasks is by using an HTML editor. The simplest, easiest to use HTML editor on the market (well, after Notepad :-) )today is Homesite by Allaire. Less than the price of an LE - highly wreck-o-mended. You can D/L a free trial copy at the previous link.

If you want to do really fancy stuff with cascading style sheets, HTML 4.0, animation, XML, etc. check out Dreamweaver from Macromedia.

HTML, the Esperanto of the Web,
__
/im

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 11-02-1999 09:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey...don't knock Notepad too much, Tim. I did my entire site with it (g).

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 11-02-1999 09:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
And some of the most beautiful manuscripts were turned out by monks with a a quill brush. :->

No knocks on Notepad - I use it quite a bit for Q&D work. Its the simplest, and easiest editor that comes free with Weendoz.

There are however some really good and cheap HTML editors available that take away alot of the drudgery of hand coding. Fwiw - most pros who do a lot of work - not suggesting you're not a pro Rod - use a specialized editor whether its a language specific editor like Homesite, or an all purpose coders editor like Vi or Visual SlickEdit. If you haven't tried Homesite - download the trial copy and check it out - you may like it alot!
__
/im

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 11-02-1999 11:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guess I'm just a Commodore64 in a pentiumIII world, Tim. :>)

The self inflicted pain of hand coding has forced me to learn HTML and scripts much more than I would have, though. It's starting to be a bit more fun, once it becomes second nature, and you understand what the scripts (some at least) actually mean.

I have been catching myself reading articles about the pros & cons of cascading style sheets, DHTML, how to author javascripts, the user vs designer battles of layout control, etc. I even have the urge of digging out some old polyester clothes and a pocket protecter. This internet stuff is really starting to mess with my identity. LOL

What if Picasso worked for Pixar?

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 11-02-1999 11:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Some of the things a good HTML editor can do is help you get beyond grappling with the syntax of coding and reduce errors. Causing and fixing bugs is a great learning experience, but causing syntax errors is just a pita. For example, a good editor can help you handle the nasty differences between browsers, particularly between IE and Navigator and between IE5 and the rest of the world. This is important if you want your work to appeal to a broad audience and still take advantage of full capabilities - within reason. They also have lots of good on-line help info, along with code you can cut n paste.

Out of the stuff you listed, I'd suggest tackling Javascript as a next challenge. If your ISP supports IIS you might also take a look at Microsoft's Active Server Pages (ASP).

Polyester and pocket protectors? Nah - we'll know you're a true geek, Rod, when you lose the tan. LoL!

Rgds,
__
/im [Impressionism is just an early form of pixelization. (vbg)][This message has been edited by JTimothyA (edited 11-03-99).]

Art
Cruise Director

posted 11-03-1999 01:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
[Impressionism is just an early form of pixelization. (vbg)]

(g)

Can Picasso's cubism also be an early form of pixelization but with an extreme economy of resolution (fractional pixels per inch)? Monitors were not known to be exceptionally high-res from 1881-1973.

------------------
-Art

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 01-25-2000 10:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
me, me, keep me

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers