The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Duty
  Stonington Light, Stonington CT

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Stonington Light, Stonington CT
Bob M
Saint

posted 03-14-2002 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Many of you have already viewed my Watch Hill Light pics, so now here are a few photos of my next stop last Tuesday.

Here is a pic of the front of Stonington Light. The light is practically right on the street and there is a rather large dwelling house on its port side. The large house does no appear in this photo.

This next photo shows the starboard side of the light along with the rear of the building.

The last photo is a pic of the lantern room.

As stated in the Watch Hill Light thread, the weather wasn't great when I took the pictures but at least it wasn't raining.

Bob

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 03-14-2002 09:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great pictures Bob, even though it was overcast!

Larry
WACKO

posted 03-14-2002 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Larry   Click Here to Email Larry     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We need to go back to Stonington one day. When we were there, the sun was behind the lighthouse, so the front is in the shadows in all of my photos. Photoshop is able to brighten it up to see the detail, but now they all look washed out.

We fell in love with the town of Stonington in the few hours we were there. We visited on a summer Saturday. They were having a farmer's market, and the kids played on the playground. We felt so at home. Unfortunately, the lighthouse museum was closed for renovations at the time (Summer 2000).

mombo
Saint

posted 03-14-2002 11:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Is Stonington wired straight up to heaven (2nd picure) Bob? Wonder why those wires don't show up in the first one? I'll have to look at mine to see if they're in them.

Yes, that large house next door doesn't do much for the light. But whoever owns it probably paid plenty and thinks it's a fine location!

While there isn't a whole lot of space in the front of the light there sure is a nice "back yard". Was wondering if they do wedding receptions and such.

I didn't have the time to go through the museum when I was there but the woman in charge let me go up into the lantern room so I tossed a couple bucks in the contribution jar. I believe they charge $5 for the museum plus tower.

Bob M
Saint

posted 03-15-2002 06:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Look closely, Sue, and you'll see the wires in the first photo. They are about even with the bottom limb of the tree that sticks out the most. I didn't take the wires out because I don't know if my Camedia Program can do that. Maybe someone could enlighten me if thet are familiar with the Camedia Program that comes with Olympus Digital Cameras.

Hey Mombo,....Why are you inquiring about weddings at Stonington? Are you planning something?

Bob

mombo
Saint

posted 03-15-2002 09:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
No Bob, forget the wedding bit. Once was enough!

Now, about those wires. You are right. Tonight I see them right there on the starboard side and they are horizontal, right? In your photo #2 those are the same wires which are now vertical.

I got out my photos today to compare. Taken from the front my wires are also horizontal. I circled the light from the port side to the starboard. I have one that shows the port and aft sides taken from the back left corner and those wires are still horizontal and the building corners are nice and square. I also have one taken from practically the same spot as your 2nd photo but perhaps a bit closer and a tad more to the right as I managed to cut off those white steps instead getting more of the house across the street. In that one my wires are about l5 degrees to the right of vertical. The back right corner of the white addition remains vertical in your picture while mine is slightly right of vertical.

When I told I.O. about your pictures and we were looking at mine, we found that was very strange. He said he thinks it's due to refraction. But I sure don't know what causes it. Isn't it something to do with the light bending things in strange ways? Maybe we have an expert in the group who can explain it?

Chances are if we all examine our photos we will find other instances where this has happened.

I also noted that in my photos that new place next door was unfinished.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 03-15-2002).]

Larry
WACKO

posted 03-17-2002 10:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Larry   Click Here to Email Larry     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mombo,

I don't think it's really anything weird with the wires. I think Bob was just standing directly under them and the angle just makes them look like they are going straight up in the air.

mombo
Saint

posted 03-17-2002 11:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maybe they are really lightening rods? Or it is our electric personalities?

Well I wasn't standing under the corner of the back additon when I took the photo that made it slant to the right.

Maybe this is one of those haunted lighthouses?????

Bob M
Saint

posted 03-18-2002 06:37 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You are absolutely correct, Larry! My batteries were getting a little low so I stood directly under the wires when a took that picture. I didn't do it on purpose but now I finally know why my hair looked like Art Garfunkels when I returned to my car.

Bob

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers