The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Duty
  June 3rd, 2000 Eastern Long Island Lighthouse Cruise

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   June 3rd, 2000 Eastern Long Island Lighthouse Cruise
rscroope
WACKO

posted 01-31-2000 11:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's an excerpt from the Cruise Brochure run by the East End Seaport Museum and Marine Foundation for their Annual Cruise.
Price is $75 per person. Tickets are very hard to come by with a waiting list of 395 people for 300 seats. I have been able to reserve a limited number of seats for the cruise so if your interested, contact me by February 15th, after that you're on your own.

Welcome to the East End Seaport's off shore Lighthouse and Maritime History Cruise of Eastern Long Island Lighthouses. Today's cruise of approximately 7 hours includes Orient Point, Plum Island, Little Gull, Race Rock, North Dumpling, Gardiner's Island (site of), Cedar Island and Long Beach Bar "Bug". The lighthouse cruise vessel will stop next to each lighthouse and provide photo opportunities from both port and starboard. A narrative presentation on each of the lighthouses and incidents of maritime history will be given by an on-board expert Bob Muller and Merle Wiggin. The lighthouse cruise will be aboard the U. S. Coast Guard certified 158 ft. Cross Sound Ferry, the "North Star". A vessel stop is also planned in Fisher's Island Sound where lunch will be served. Photographs of each of the lighthouses and other memorabilia will be available for purchase along with a raffle with the first prize overnight for two at "Bug" Light

VESSEL - Compliments of Cross Sound Ferry
LUNCH - Catered by Sea Shell Restaurant
BEVERAGES- Featuring Palmer Vineyards Lighthouse Wines

Funds will benefit Long Beach Bar "Bug" Light.
For further information, contact East End Seaport
Lighthouse Committee - Telephone (516) 477-2121
E-mail lighthouse@peconic.net

Before or after the Lighthouse Cruise you are especially invited to visit the East End Seaport Maritime Museum. On display is the huge, 9 ft. tall 2nd Order Lens from Little Gull, the working 4th Order Lens and original clockworks from the Plum Island Light and the photographic record of the rebuilding and restoring the Long Beach Bar "Bug" lighthouse as an ’Aid To Navigation’ by the Coast Guard.

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 02-03-2000).]

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 02-01-2000 11:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Don't I wish! I've just gotta win the Hoosier Lottery (its up there pretty good right now) so I can retire and take up all the fantastic lighthousing opportunities that are available this year! Have a great time & don't forget to share the pictures.

Dave

rscroope
WACKO

posted 02-09-2000 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cruise is basically sold out with last years waiting list already buying most of the tickets.
Last Call for my Forum Friends!
email me asap if interested
People who have already contacted me, I have taken care of.

rscroope
WACKO

posted 06-02-2000 08:05 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cruise is tomorrow, and the weather is predicted to be spectacular. It's not too early to start planning for next year. Maybe we can have an informal WACKO meeting next year on the cruise. Cruise is traditionally the first Saturday in June - so mark it down on your calendars for Saturday, June 2. 2001 on your calendars!

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-02-2000 08:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hope you have a great day Bob! Be sure to let us know how it went!

rscroope
WACKO

posted 06-05-2000 08:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A small group of 375+ lighthouse enthusiasts started to line up for the cruise a hour and 15 minutes before departure, There was quite a buzz as many were visiting the Museum dockside while waiting for the cruise. My duties for the start of the day was to organize this huge crowd in order to board the boat which was not arriving until 8:30am. To my surprise everybody although excited were extremely patient and friendly while waiting to board. As I was also collecting the tickets, I got to greet everyone as they boarded the ship.
The cruise started on time as we visited 8 offshore lighthouses between the North and South Forks of LI.
Continental breakfast, hot lunch, lighthouse wine, beer, raffle (thank you Harbour Lights for your contribution with great raffle gifts), two piece band were just some of the activities on the 7 1/2 hour cruise.
Some celebrities were aboard who appeared in the last Legacy. Noelle, the mother of the cute Cape Lookout lighthouse girl was there; as was 6 year old Steve who is pictured in front of Montauk lighthouse with his Dad and Brother.
When we anchored next to Little Dumpling for lunch, the NELL lighthouse cruise on the Sunbeam came by (Did any of you NELL guys notice?).
We also got over 300 signatures of support on our petitions for SAVING PLUM ISLAND Lighthouse.
Same time next year, so if your looking to party with our group, write the date on your calendar and plan on buying your tickets by January 2001, the tickets sell out in two weeks.
All proceeds from the Cruise go towards the Maintenance of Long Beach Bar "BUG LIGHT".

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 06-05-2000).]

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 06-05-2000 11:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glad you all had a good time Bob. Pictures?

Dave

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers