The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Duty
  Which state owns Whaleback?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Which state owns Whaleback?
ladylightkeeper
WACKO

posted 10-11-1999 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ladylightkeeper   Click Here to Email ladylightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Our HL club, NELL, had their Outing this weekend in Portsmouth, NH, and took a 5 hour cruise to see 5 lights, passing right by Whaleback which is in the harbor/river right off the Portsmouth shore and very close to Portsmouth Harbor Light, aka Fort Point Light, aka New Castle Light.

I asked the owner of the boat company who owns Whaleback. She said Maine definitely owns it, because of the boundary agreed upon going up the river and harbor. I have read in various books that Maine owns it; then another says NH. Right close to it is a small island with a lifeboat saving station on it, which is going to be restored. It is owned my Kittery --- Maine. Yet Harbour Lights has NH inscribed on its miniature of this lighthouse.

Those of you who do very serious definitive reading on lighthouse history, what is your answer and please quote your source to back up your answer. It would be nice to get a final answer.

After our cruise, we had a talk, tour, and climb at Portsmouth Harbor lighthouse, by a retired professor who now volunteers as an auxillary Coast Guard person and leads the tours. He has done extensive research and said that the true name of this light is not Whaleback, but rather Whale's Back. Have any of you seen this anywhere within your readings? He has gone back to primary source material - old Coast Guard records etc. to write up his talk.

From a curious lady lightkeeper!

engbrady
Saint

posted 10-11-1999 04:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Perhaps a little background from an earlier thread when this subject was brought up before would be helpful.

http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000055.html

Saint WackoPaul'
Keep the Flame

foghornkeeper
WACKO

posted 10-12-1999 11:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for foghornkeeper   Click Here to Email foghornkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

I too have been wondering which is correct, NH or ME. Can anyone find out what the folks at Harbour Lights used as their authority when deciding to put Whaleback in NH? When I looked at the old thread on this subject the majority of responses were that it was in Maine. However, if the states of New Hampshire and Maine haven't been able to resolve this can we?
foghornkeeper

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-12-1999 11:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Looking at the Internet Index of Lighthouse Links, there are two links to pages about Whaleback. One says the ownership is in dispute between NH and ME. The other says the lighthouse is owned by the town of Kittery Maine.

Here's an old etching, said to be an original wood engraving, from the 1860's.

The caption at the bottom reads "Whale's Back"

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers