The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Photography
  Posting images to the forums

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Posting images to the forums
lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 02-13-2002 12:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In response to Terry's request for a "how to do it" on posting images onto this forum, here's a quickie primer.

1) Once you have your photos in digital form at 72 dpi suitable to post to the web, go to:

www.webphotos.com

and set yourself up an album that you can upload your photos into. This is easy to do, just follow the directions on that site. If you already have an online photo album somewhere, that works too, it doesn't matter where it is.

2) Right click on your photo in the online gallery, making sure that you've expanded the photo to the bigger size and then select "properties" from the menu that pops up from the right click. There will be a URL address on there that looks something like:
http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000028661/1000028661_2122002101718PM0.5363275.jpg

which happens to be the URL to one of my photos on webphotos. Copy that URL.

3) Come to your favorite forum and start a new topic or go to an existing thread as you prefer. Write your text file and at the point that you want to insert the photo, use the following code:

[img]your URL copied from wherever your gallery is with no spaces[/img]

Paste your URL between the two square braketed arguments - [img] and [/img]. The forward slash in the latter is obligatory and you'll just see something like:

[img]http://imagem.webphotos.iwon.com/1000028661/1000028661_2122002101718PM0.5363275.jpg[img]

as text instead of your photo if you leave out the forward slash in the closing argument instead of

which you get if you put the "/" in the closing argument. Note - do not leave a space after the initial argument. It should be

[img]http://..... with no spaces

The fact that it starts on the followiong line here is a function of word wrapping.

4) Finish your text and click the submit button and whatever you're contributing, with your photo embedded, will end up here on the forum.

Hope that this helps and isn't too pedestrian for anyone.

Sean, care to discuss how to arrange photos side by side?

Gary

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-13-2002).]

[This message has been edited by lighthouse_photo (edited 02-13-2002).]

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 02-13-2002 10:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If you need more help, see the Forum Goodies for several threads discussing posting pictures.

wheland
WACKO

posted 02-15-2002 11:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gary,

The primer worked just fine.

I posted a few pictures to the forums thanks to your clear and concise instructions.

Dennis

lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 02-15-2002 11:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis, glad to hear you didn't have any problem and glad I could help. Good to see your photos up as well!

Gary

DocJ44
WACKO

posted 02-15-2002 11:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well several of us seem to be doing the same thing tonight! The instructions were great!

lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 02-16-2002 12:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Doc, glad you found the instructions helpful as well... It does indeed seem like a bunch of folks were posting up images tonight! Glad to see the enthusiasm for lighthouse photography!

Gary

1of3trees@prodigy.net

posted 02-16-2002 12:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1of3trees@prodigy.net   Click Here to Email 1of3trees@prodigy.net     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LOL -- How about a thread with photos of a certain lighthouse photographer -- if I can do it right -- if anyone's interested???

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 02-16-2002 12:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
That I'm aware of, you only know two lighthouse photographers, and somehow I don't think you've ever aimed a lens at Mark Cassino...

1of3trees@prodigy.net

posted 02-16-2002 12:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 1of3trees@prodigy.net   Click Here to Email 1of3trees@prodigy.net     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well, if your count Toni Lankerd as a lighthouse photographer, then that's 3 because obviously you remember that we both had breakfast with her when I was last in MI in December!!!

------------------
Terry (Teresa) Forrest

lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 02-16-2002 12:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
That's true... that slipped my mind.... I should twist Toni's arm and get her involved here as well.....

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 02-17-2002 02:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Gary,

Thanks for all your help on posting phots in addition to your beautiful photos posted. I tried to test posting a photo and it came up with a red "X". What am I doing wrong? Sorry I have a slow learning curve.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers