The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Wish List
  Race Rock Light

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Race Rock Light
Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 08-22-1999 06:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I received a wonderful gift the other day from my great friends, Rich & Cheryl. It was a 2000 Calendar, "Lighthouses of Long Island." The photography work was done by Ralph Pugliese Jr..

The photos are magnificient! They include Old Field, Race Rock, Cedar Point, Fire Island, The Bug Light, Huntington Harbor, Execution Rock, Little Gull Island, Montauk Point, Orient Point, Eaton's Neck, and Horton Point.

There is definitely more LHs on the east end of Long Island that need consideration by Harbour Lights. My ultimate favorite would be Race Rock Light. I'm sure those of you that have seen Race Rock in person would agree. Leave a message and "vote" for Race Rock Light to be a future HL! ( Huntington Harbor and Cedar Point are certainly different and would also be worthy of consideration as a future HL also.)

Bob

thelgtkpr
unregistered

posted 08-22-1999 08:51 AM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Race Rock definitely gets my vote. Pass it on to Harbour Lights headquarters(HLHQ).

"the lightkeeper"

DeDo
WACKO

posted 08-22-1999 08:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We saw Race Rock along with ten other lighthouses on the Long Island Sound Cruise. It really stuck out in our minds as the most unique of all we saw that day. We thought it resembled a castle. It gets our vote as a future HL.

Donna

LamarB
Cruise Director

posted 08-22-1999 10:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LamarB   Click Here to Email LamarB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
One of the regular forum contributors, Wildbird99 has some GOOD pictures of Race Rock on his web page at www.longislandlighthouses.com/racerock.htm .

------------------
Keepin' the flame [This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 08-22-99).]

Art
Cruise Director

posted 08-22-1999 11:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in. I'd like to see Race Rock too. She sits like a beautiful Siren in some of the most treacherous waters in the area. After I've seen what HL can do with stonework recently (e.g., Hudson-Athens), I'd really look forward to this one.

If memory serves, this one has a red beacon (or is it red / white alternating?). I'd also like to see what HL can come up with to portray that.

------------------
-Art

RFoster
WACKO

posted 08-23-1999 04:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also think that Race Rock would make a wonderful HL piece. Next year OpSail-2000 will be coming into New London, CT harbor. This event will feature tall ships from around the world. They will start at Race Rock, lead by the U. S. Coast Guard barque Eagle, and sail into the harbor for tours and ceremonies of all sorts. It would be a great time for Harbour Lights to unvail their replica of this lighthouse with the Eagle going by.

Race Rock 2000 has my vote.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

LamarB
Cruise Director

posted 08-23-1999 04:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LamarB   Click Here to Email LamarB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GREAT idea Ron!

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 08-23-1999 06:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Absolutely! I think this would make a great HL.

Joanne

Mike Seewald
WACKO

posted 08-24-1999 06:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Seewald   Click Here to Email Mike Seewald     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Being a Long Islander I would love to see HL do a Race Rock piece.

I expressed early that a few of us out here would love to see a Long Island series similar to the Hudson River series.

Long Island has a fine history of lighthouses and I'm pretty sure that collectors from other regions would agree.

JohnL
WACKO

posted 08-24-1999 09:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JohnL   Click Here to Email JohnL     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree with you Mike. HL should consider a Long Island Lighthouse series. I didn't get a chance to see Race Rock on my trip, but I will be sure to see it next time .

rscroope
WACKO

posted 08-24-1999 09:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
When I first saw that LI Lighthouse Calendar, Race Rock definitely got my attention.
I agree with Mike and others on the Forum. It is definitely time to add on more LI Lights. Here's a recap reference!
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000116.html

Orient Point - 100 Year Celebration
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000109.html
Cedar Island - Forgotten Jewel
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum15/HTML/000041.html
http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000102.html
http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum5/HTML/000106.html
Long Beach Bar 'BUG LIGHT' - 10 Year Anniversary Restoration September 2000
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum4/HTML/000118.html
Race Rock
Eatons Neck
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum15/HTML/000035.html
216.46.163.97/forums/Forum15/HTML/000064.html

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-24-99).]

chris g
WACKO

posted 08-27-1999 02:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for chris g   Click Here to Email chris g     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
another winner in my book- but then, what lighthouse wouldn't make a good HL? Oh, I guess there are a few "ugly" lights out there, but isn't their real beauty in their function??

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 08-27-1999 12:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Right, Chris, but HL's function is to look nice in our curios, etc. not to mention to transfer our $ from our pocket to BY's! No ugly HL's please.

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 08-27-1999 11:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Go ahead, Mombo. Tell us what you have done to beautify the HL line.. You can whisper... we won't tell!

Dave

robkat

posted 08-29-1999 04:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for robkat     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Race Rock Definitely gets my vote to become the NEXT new HL ! It is just a engineering wonder as it sits at the enterance to the Long Island Sound. As a native Long Islander and former long time resident of southeast Connecticut, A Race Rock HL would be a welcomed and very sort after edition to my collection as I'm sure it would be to other collectors too!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-11-1999 07:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I spoke to Bill last night at a sigining in Narragansett, Rhode Island. I asked him if Race Rock was going to be sculpted by Harbour Lights, and he said, "yes". That's good news! After hesitating for a moment he did add they are planning on doing every lighthouse in the United States. Was it a slip of the tongue? Could we possibly see a Race Rock sculpture in the very near future? Inquiring minds on the East Coast, where it finally stopped rainning after four days, would like to know.

Bob

JChidester
Saint

posted 09-11-1999 12:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nope, Bob. You were Bill-boozled. That's his new line.

Inquiring Collector: "Are you going to do XYZ lighthouse".

Bill Y: "Yes"

Excited Collector: "Great!!"

Bill Y: "Yes, we're going to do all the lighthouses someday."

Confused Collector: "oh"

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-11-1999 08:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JC, ... You are absolutely right on the money! I still love it though!

Bob

Greydawn
WACKO

posted 09-12-1999 09:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Greydawn   Click Here to Email Greydawn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I once ask Bill if they were going to make Sullivan's Island. His reply was "as soon as we can figure out how to make the elevator work!".

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 09-16-1999 12:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've only seen pictures of Race Rock but think its a great choice. Chris g is right on What lighthouse wouldn't make a great HL?
Dale

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers