The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Wish List
  A 'Millennium" Special Issue?

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   A 'Millennium" Special Issue?
JChidester
Saint

posted 11-26-1998 09:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I expect we'll see something special for the year 2000 from Harbour Lights.

Any thoughts on what it should be? One idea that has been tossed around in the past was the Statue of Liberty.

We've also discussed a special 'series'. Perhaps showing the different lighthouses that have stood at a single location over history, or the "Five Greatest Lighthouses in the last 1,000 years".

What's your idea for a special celebratory "Millennium" marking lighthouse or set?

Art
Cruise Director

posted 11-26-1998 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like the Statue of Libery idea. It's one of a kind, and let's face it, we are likely to see but one turn-of-the-millenium in our lifetimes! That might also be a great way to draw interest to the line from outside of the lighthouse-loving circles, which couldn't hurt.

-Art

thelgtkpr
unregistered

posted 11-26-1998 01:55 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I totally agree with the Statue Of Liberty idea. Perhaps this could be Harbour Lights first (and maybe only) lighted piece, seeing that the Staue Of Liberty was the first lighthouse to use electricity.

Link to Statue Of Liberty
http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/Links/slibrty.html

[This message has been edited by thelgtkpr (edited 11-26-98).]

engbrady
Saint

posted 11-26-1998 06:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
How about a lighthouse that lasted over 1,000 years, considered the first and the tallest lighthouse in the world.

I nominate Pharos for the Millennium Lighthouse.

http://www.greece.org/alexandria/pharos/

LamarB
Cruise Director

posted 11-26-1998 09:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LamarB   Click Here to Email LamarB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I vote for the Statue of Liberty. HL could do a stunning sculpture of Lady Liberty

RFoster
WACKO

posted 11-27-1998 08:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Statue of Liberty is a great idea. If HL decides to do this millenium piece lighted maybe they should consider putting it in it's own special glass dome.

Ron

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-27-1998 06:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow, Sean... I like that idea. Could it be a matched # set of 3 interlocking? As it sits today, during the move, and as it then sits? Maybe just the during the move would be interesting - with stabilization rings in place, etc.

Maybe the start of a new series? Picturing lighthouses on the move? SE Block, Nauset, Highland. Special donation to the moving funds for each purchase?

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-27-98).]

Chuck and Linda Reed
unregistered

posted 11-27-1998 09:30 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After some dicussion with my wife we thought
ether the oldest working lighthouse in the world or the statue of liberty would be nice

------------------

Michael and Karen Power
unregistered

posted 11-29-1998 05:00 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We agree with Paul, we would like to see Pharos for the Millennium Lighthouse.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-29-1998 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to see Harbour Lights make a Spyglass Series for each state containing a lighthouse that has been replicated by HL. Perhaps they could also offer a mahogany display stand similar to what they do for AB boats, maybe even in the shape of the state. If not Spyglass size, how about thumbnails instead. I don't feel doing just one light would be special enough to celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime event.

hcorey
WACKO

posted 12-10-1998 10:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for hcorey   Click Here to Email hcorey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also vote for the Pharos of Alexandria in Egypt. It was the foreunner of modern lighthouses. It would be something special. Lets stick with lighthouses.

Daisys Mom

posted 12-11-1998 08:10 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daisys Mom   Click Here to Email Daisys Mom     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Some may not know this, but the Statue of Liberty once served as a lighthouse. My vote goes to Lady Liberty.

hcorey
WACKO

posted 12-11-1998 08:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for hcorey   Click Here to Email hcorey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If you like statues at harbor entrances, there is always the Colossus of Rhodes. What an opportunity to have a spectular piece showing the harbor and the ancient ships. I have never seen a model of this. Even though I am sure Harbour Lights would do a better job on "Liberty" than anyone else, it would not be as unique as the Colossus, which existed thousands of years ago, and has never been seen by any of us. There are many, many replicas of the Statue of Liberty. Come to think of it, I would rather see Harbour Lights make this than the Pharos. We are talking about a piece for the "Millennium", the connotation of thousands would be better served by an ancient piece.

Polly
Cruise Director

posted 12-11-1998 07:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Polly   Click Here to Email Polly     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
To follow up on the idea of out with the old & in with the new century (sort of).

How about the oldest & newest light houses in each region (East Coast, West Coast, Gulf, Great Lakes). If people are hot on "pairs" the could be sold as pairs. Then, for those that like "series" (Stamps, Southern Belles, Lady Light Keeper, etc.) we could have a series of pairs.

May need a new Curio just for the new series. ;-)

tnkeeper
WACKO

posted 12-11-1998 10:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tnkeeper   Click Here to Email tnkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I too like the Pharos as the choice for the
Millenium piece.
"The beginning..." Just seems appropiate
to me.

tnkeeper

Art
Cruise Director

posted 12-18-1998 10:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

-Emma Lazarus (Engraved at the base of the Statue of Liberty.)

Now, what can beat that for a millenium piece?

(Paid for by the Friends of Lady Liberty for Millenium Piece)

[This message has been edited by Art (edited 12-19-98).]

tnkeeper
WACKO

posted 12-20-1998 02:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tnkeeper   Click Here to Email tnkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok Art & Friends.......you have succeeded
in changing, at least, this collectors mind.
Count my vote for the Lady.
Always was a sucker for this patriotic stuff!
Seriously, it's a beautiful verse.

rgds,
tnkeeper aka Debbie

RMau
Cruise Director

posted 12-20-1998 06:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RMau   Click Here to Email RMau     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I know the Statue of Liberty has served as a lighthouse, or maybe more accurately, an aid to navigation. But she's already been honored for her place in our history during the Bi-centennial in 1976. My vote would be for a light that celebrates it's 100th anniversary in year 2000 or 2001 (which is really the millenium year). Any one know if there is such a lighthouse? I'm looking but haven't found one yet.

rscroope
WACKO

posted 07-27-1999 12:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I found this while lighthousing the web.
The Statue of Liberty even had a lightkeeper!
Not for reopening debate, just for info to those interested.
http://www.lighthousemuseum.org/nylights/slibrty.htm

Robert M Dick
WACKO

posted 07-28-1999 05:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Robert M Dick   Click Here to Email Robert M Dick     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Anyone watch the PBS show about the first lighthouse of Eqypt last night? The lighthouse was one thing, but additing the statues at the entrance would be a perfect Younger achievement.

My vote is for Alexandia. Where lighthousing began!

Moby

Mike Seewald
WACKO

posted 07-28-1999 06:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mike Seewald   Click Here to Email Mike Seewald     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll cast my vote for Pharos as well.

I like Johns idea for the 5 greatest lighthouses in the last 1000 years but, which of the remaining 3 would you pick?

The Pharos and Statue of Liberty are the first two for sure.

What we be the criteria for "electing" them??

The oldest? The most famous?

JohnL
WACKO

posted 07-28-1999 08:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JohnL   Click Here to Email JohnL     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like the idea of the 5 greatest Lighthouses in the last 1000 years. Since Pharos and the Statue of Liberty would be the first 2, it would be difficult to pick the remaining 3.
If I had to choose the remaining 3, they would be Montauk Point, Sandy Hook, and St. Augustine.

John

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 07-28-1999 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Okay, so I have a question. If the Statue of Liberty is chosen to be a HL millenium piece, then what color would it be? It's green from oxidation but it's really copper.

Would there be two, a green and a copper?

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 07-28-99).]

engbrady
Saint

posted 07-28-1999 02:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You guys are going to force me to load up my cannons and fire a broadside.

The SoL is not, nor never was a great lighthouse, nor will it ever be a great lighthouse. It is one of the greatest if not the greatest symbols of freedom in the world, but as a lighthouse it was basically a beacon and was shutdown because it wasn't even a nessecary beacon; other lighthouses did the job that it was suppose to do and did it much better.

By the way, this isn't the broadside. I suggest that everyone read all of the former posts on this subject. It has been discussed many times and both sides have strong feelings on both sides and it might help you understand where some people are coming from on Harbour Lights doing or not doing the SoL lighthouse.

Saint WackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 08-02-1999 09:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm for Pharos of Alexandria.

Joanne

FrankB
WACKO

posted 08-02-1999 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FrankB   Click Here to Email FrankB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree with Pharos IF there has been sufficient archeological research already to determine its appearance. HL takes great pride in accuracy (justifiably so) and I would hate to see them do a sculpture that involves some speculation and then have future research (and there IS underwater research still going on at Alexandria) show the guesses to be wrong. If an HL Pharos would be a guess, then I vote for the Statue of Liberty. It may not be historic as a lighthouse, but it IS a lighthouse which has historic significance.

engbrady
Saint

posted 08-02-1999 11:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
but it IS a lighthouse which has historic significance.

WAS instead of IS a lighthouse and with NO historical significance as a lighthouse.

Harbour Lights has been in communications with the research team in Alexandria.

SaintWackoPaul '
Keep the Flame

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 08-05-1999 11:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If you want history, freedom, and lighthouses, why not famous 'Lights of the Revolutionary War'.

But I still don't understand the connection some folks insist on making between lighthouses and the year 2000, much less SOL. I'm not aware of any historical significance that can be drawn between these. I guess if one likes souvenirs, one is inclined to promote events to attach them to.

A quick jump to prior discussion of this topic: SOL Y2K Smile

__
/im

ternabout

posted 08-06-1999 08:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for ternabout   Click Here to Email ternabout     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to see the Wright Brothers Memorial on the Outer Banks of North Carolina as the Millenium piece. It is located on the ocean and has recently had its rotating beacon re-lighted after being dark for many many years. It honors the First Flight which occurred near the turn of the present century.

Weasel58
WACKO

posted 08-06-1999 08:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel58   Click Here to Email Weasel58     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello Ternabout, and welcome to the HL website. I got to agree with you, on the Wright Bros. memorial. I used to live a few miles north of there when I was a kid. I see from you "bio" that your from Kill Devil Hills, I used to live near the Avolon Pier about 19 years ago. Really miss that area. In fact I try to get down there twice a year, and just got back Sunday from spending the weekend in Hatteras. Hope you enjoy your time here with us "Wackos," they even let us out, once in a while! If you have any questions about HL this is the place to get them answered.

------------------
Weasel58

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 08-06-99).]

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 08-18-1999 09:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like the hatteras on the move idea. It's one of the best known lights and will be ready for climbing in 2000.
Dale

JChidester
Saint

posted 12-31-1999 11:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Way to go ME!

www.HarbourLights.com/catalog/2000/hl_liberty.htm

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 12-31-99).]

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers