The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Preservation & Fund Raising
  2003 Wacko Pin Nominations Are Now Open

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   2003 Wacko Pin Nominations Are Now Open
LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 05-13-2002 01:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
NOTE: Ladylightkeeper asked me to post this notice for her since she is on vacation with no computer access.

Who will be the lucky lighthouse to receive the profits for their preservation activities from next year’s WACKO 2003 pin? You can help determine this by participating now in Phase 1 nominations and later in Phase 2 for the final voting. A pin will be made of the winning lighthouse, using a photo of its Harbour Lights sculpture. The profits from the sale of the pin will be sent to the lighthouse’s non-profit preservation group.

Anyone registered on the Collector Forums may both nominate qualified lighthouses, and take part in the final election. Purchase of the 2003 pin is open to anyone interested in lighthouses: Collector Forums registrants; Harbour Lights Collector Society members; members of lighthouse clubs and organizations; and those who love and want to help preserve lighthouses. Our goal is to sell as many pins as possible in order to raise a significant donation for the lighthouse winner.

Each year that the committee does this project, we fine-tune it a bit, hoping our changes will expand its scope and interest more lighthouse enthusiasts to participate in it. In looking over some of your past posted comments, I would like to summarize here your thoughts which might be important to ponder when considering which lights to nominate.

A. “So many deserving lights; how best to pick? The way I see the Wacko Factor is as an extra contribution of funds that were not budgeted for and therefore can be dedicated to something in the preservation effort that otherwise would not happen or would be delayed.” Rick Mau

B. “Any light that would receive donations really needs to be one that is accessible to the public. Those on private property where guests are not welcomed should not receive our support - - - and (they) should accept responsibility for its restoration and upkeep.” Dave H.

C. “Most lighthouses need financial help and few have adequate funding and aren’t currently or actively soliciting funds. Those owned by national and state park services and the Coast Guard have no mechanism for accepting donations, even though the non-profit group that contracted with them needs money. The question is – - which light is MOST needy?” Lamar

D. “There are smaller projects out there that don’t have constant funds coming in like some which are well-publicized and have a big volunteer backing. Our WACKO pin donation might just make a difference on some one item that drastically needs immediate attention or stabilizing. It is important though that for each nominated light, there is an organized non-profit group really doing restoration work.” Ladylightkeeper

Please keep these various viewpoints in mind while reading over the following instructions for making your nominations. And then do start right in by posting your nominations on this Lighthouse Preservation/Fund Raising Forum.

1. Think of this phase 1 nomination procedure as a primary election. The lighthouses which are nominated the MOST times will appear in phase 2, which will be a final list. From this list you will vote once, for one lighthouse, to determine a winner.

2. You may post up to 10 United States lighthouse nominations. All nominations are to be made only by posting them on this Lighthouse Preservation Forum. Only registered Collector Forum members may make nominations.

3. You don’t have to post all nominations at the same time. If you wish to add to your total of 10 gradually, please do not revise your original posted reply but rather do a separate reply post, so as to make the tally process easier for Darlene.

4. If someone has already posted the lighthouse(s) that you have on your list, you can still put them on your posting. Remember, the more times they appear as a nomination, the more likely they will make it onto the final election slate.

5. It would be nice if you would post your own list first, before being influenced by reading the other posts. You might be motivated to list lighthouses from your local or state area, or some seen while traveling, that really need help but aren’t well-known by members living in other parts of the U.S.

6. You can add a link to any of the nominated lighthouses websites or a link to an article or photo of the lights; or post your own personal photo of lights. Just be sure that the lights which you nominate are non-profit and are indeed doing or about to do restoration. A good source for this might be the Lighthouse Digest Magazine produced by the Lighthouse Depot in Wells, Maine.

7. All lighthouses nominated MUST have a registered active non-profit group in place. It should already be involved in restoration work at this time, or will be doing so this next year. The money we donate must be put to real and current use. Lamar will be checking on each nomination to assure that they meet our criteria in order to be eligible to remain on the nomination list.

8. A nominated lighthouse must be an original light, not one being built as a reproduction of a past light or a new light being built for a tourist site. Nor may this lighthouse be privately owned; or owned by any state or federal agency or group. Historical preservation is the key concept for us.

9. Any lighthouse nominated must have had a sculpture made of it by Harbour Lights, as this is the basis of the unique photo pin design which we use. Little Lights of Mine giftware are not eligible due to their small size which would not allow for a detailed quality photo for the design.

10. Any lighthouses nominated in past years which still meet the eligibility criteria may again be nominated here, exclusive of past winners: Morris Island, SC; St. George Reef, CA: Southeast Light, Block Island, RI.

11. The committee reserves the right to use the runner-up if the first place winner does not wish to participate in the project; or, if it does not get back to the committee within a reasonable time frame with all written legal permissions, so that we can meet our design and production deadlines.

12. All nominations must be posted by midnight Pacific Time on May 28, 2002.

13. Darlene will be doing the tally at the end of the deadline and posting the top nominees for the election, here on this forum, following Lamar’s confirmation of their eligibility based on our criteria. Darlene will then be running phase 2, the election.

The committee looks forward to seeing nominations by both “old” and new Forum registrants. If you are brand new, here is a good way to become involved in a lighthouse preservation activity. We hope you will participate and help make this project a success in its fourth year. Information on how to order the pin for 2003 will be given after the design has been completed. This project takes a calendar year to complete.

Help keep the flame burning.
The 2003 WACKO pin committee: Barbara Hupp, Coordinator; Lamar Bevil; Darlene Cook; Henry Hupp.

mombo
Saint

posted 05-13-2002 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
For the 4th year I'll nominate:

Esopus Meadows, NY

It's the only remaining wooden lighthouse on the Hudson River. It's on the National Register. It doesn't tilt anymore but still needs all the funds it can get so that it's dedicated preservation group can continue their efforts to achieve full restoration.

Shortcake
WACKO

posted 05-14-2002 01:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shortcake   Click Here to Email Shortcake     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Middle Bay Alabama

It is a replica produced by HL (#187) It is owned by (I can't remember at this time) ether The Mobile Historical Socity (or) The Alabama Historical Socity. It is presatly under renovations. It is not open to the public but it is my understanting that it will be, when it is safe to do so.

Stephanie

LamarB
WACKO

posted 05-14-2002 01:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LamarB   Click Here to Email LamarB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie Island, NC now has a method for receiving donations to be used solely for the resoration and preservation of the lighthouse. In addition, the donations will be matched by a matching grant to make it a double-whammy for it! If we raise $1,200 for it it'll get $2,400, etc. Bodie Island lighthouse sure needs the help so I nominate Bodie Island, NC.

Here's a link to a fairly recent story in Lighthouse Digest on Bodie Island condition. It's been added to the Doomsday List.
http://www.lhdigest.com/Digest/StoryPage.cfm?StoryKey=821

[This message has been edited by LamarB (edited 05-15-2002).]

2beacons
WACKO

posted 05-14-2002 09:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for 2beacons   Click Here to Email 2beacons     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We agree with Lamar. Even though it is not a great lakes lighthouse we think Bodie Island could use what ever we could raise. We have been there and after watching the latest films of what kind of shape she is in, we can say SHE REALLY COULD USE THE HELP! It gives us the shivers when we think of that BEAUTIFUL LENS up in that tower surrounded by rusted out metal.

Mary and Jeff
2beacons

lighthouse_photo
Cruise Director

posted 05-14-2002 11:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lighthouse_photo   Click Here to Email lighthouse_photo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I don't live in NC any longer but did for 7 years. Despite now living in the land of lighthouses, aka, Michigan, I have to side with Lamar for

BODIE ISLAND

They're estimating that Bodie needs ~$2M in restoration costs, some of which will go to restore the beautiful cast iron spiral staircase in the tower.

I hope we can help preserve this wonderful treasure!

Hanifich
WACKO

posted 05-15-2002 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hanifich     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll throw my lot in with Bodie Island as well. It's a handsome light in a beautiful setting.

Weasel58
WACKO

posted 05-15-2002 09:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel58   Click Here to Email Weasel58     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie Island all the way. I was there last week and in some of my pictures you can see where parts of the iron work has failed. Chunks of the catwalk are missing, and some of the ornamental scrollwork under the catwalk has fallen to the ground. You will need to cut and paste, to see the picture.

http://home.tampabay.rr.com/esharp/Images/Bodie%20Island%20Broken.jpg

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 05-15-2002).]

Larry
WACKO

posted 05-15-2002 10:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Larry   Click Here to Email Larry     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie

TD
WACKO

posted 05-15-2002 11:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie is my choice.

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 05-16-2002 01:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladylightkeeper and fotofriend ask me to nominate St. Marks, Fl for them as they do not have computer access at this time.

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 05-16-2002 01:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It seems people are only posting one nomination. Just a reminder that you may post up to 10 United States lighthouse nominations. Not all ten need to be posted at once so give it some thought; I know there are more deserving lighthouses out there.

My nominations so far include:
Mukilteo Light Station, WA in need of new roofs for keepers quarters
Coquille River, OR
Rockland Breakwater, ME

Darlene

Ed14
WACKO

posted 05-16-2002 02:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Ed14   Click Here to Email Ed14     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chalk up another vote for Bodie! It's a beautiful lighthouse in real need.

AZlightkeeper
WACKO

posted 05-16-2002 03:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AZlightkeeper   Click Here to Email AZlightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie Island Light
Rockland Breakwater Light
Plum Island Light

[This message has been edited by AZlightkeeper (edited 05-17-2002).]

cclighthousebuff
WACKO

posted 05-16-2002 06:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cclighthousebuff   Click Here to Email cclighthousebuff     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Portland Breakwater

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 05-17-2002 03:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Please keep in mind rule 9. Any lighthouse nominated must have had a sculpture made of it by Harbour Lights, as this is the basis of the unique photo pin design which we use. Little Lights of Mine giftware are not eligible due to their small size which would not allow for a detailed quality photo for the design.

Sorry AZlightkeeper, Plum Island Light has not been made by Harbour Lights.

DMancini
WACKO

posted 05-17-2002 04:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DMancini   Click Here to Email DMancini     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Sorry AZlightkeeper, Plum Island Light has not been made by Harbour Lights.

Plus, the lighthouse is owned by the USDA. Wouldn't that also disqualify it?

I was going to add Cedar Island Lighthouse to the list, but it is owned by the Suffolk County Park district and HL hasn't made it yet--but soon, I hope!

------------------
Diane

Rock
WACKO

posted 05-17-2002 04:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rock   Click Here to Email Rock     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1. COQUILLE RIVER, OR
2. MIDDLE BAY, AL
3. BARNEGAT, NJ

Shortcake
WACKO

posted 05-18-2002 01:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Shortcake   Click Here to Email Shortcake     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Round Island, MS

yes, they are trying to rebuild it!!!!!!!

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 05-18-2002 11:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's a few from me ...

Bodie Island

Currituck

Esopus Meadows

Cape Hatteras

Rockland Breakwater

shiulong
WACKO

posted 05-20-2002 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for shiulong   Click Here to Email shiulong     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Let go with:

Pigeon Pt.
Pt. Pinos
Pt. Sur
Matagorda

Chuck

------------------
bigdragon

[This message has been edited by shiulong (edited 05-20-2002).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 05-20-2002 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chuck,

I think you're going to be hit with a violation of rule #9 on Matagorda and Pt Sur.

Good choices, just not eligible.

Dennis

Rrronne
WACKO

posted 05-20-2002 02:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rrronne   Click Here to Email Rrronne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1) Bodie Island
2) Coquille River
3) Portland Breakwater

------------------
Randall Ronne

DocJ44
WACKO

posted 05-21-2002 06:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After reviewing the most recent Doomsday list in this month's Lighthouse Digest, I nominate:

1. Esopus Meadows, NY
2. Cape St. George, FL
3. Sankaty Head, MA
4. Sharp's Island, MD
5. Bodie Island, NC (I know...its already a shoe in for the final ballot).

I remember that last year, it wasn't until the very end of the nomination period that we saw those pictures the Abbott's posted that showed the deplorable condition of SE Block Island. If anyone has pictures that can open our eyes, please post them!

Doc John

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 05-21-2002).]

jw177

posted 05-25-2002 05:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jw177   Click Here to Email jw177     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to nominate:

Bodie Island
Currituck
Cape Hatteras
Coquille
St Helena

That's the first five of my ten.
Linda

mghusge
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 05:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mghusge   Click Here to Email mghusge     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie Island

MelJB

posted 05-25-2002 06:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MelJB   Click Here to Email MelJB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1) Bodie Island
2)Cape Hatteras - would be a crime not to do something after all the $$ spent on the move.
3)Currituck

MelJB

flacoastie
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 06:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flacoastie   Click Here to Email flacoastie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to nominate the following lighthouses:

Ponce De Leon Inlet, FL
Presque Isle, PA
Cedar Key, FL
Cape Henry, VA

Moby Dick

posted 05-25-2002 06:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Moby Dick     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coquille River http://www.bandonworld.com/thelight/

Rockland Breakwater

Navesink

are my nominations

QC
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 07:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for QC   Click Here to Email QC     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to vote for Barnegat Light and Sharps Island.

Thanks
George

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 05-25-2002 08:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's the rest of my ten ...

Round Island

Coquille River

Portland Breakwater

Cape St. George

Middle Bay[This message has been edited by Randy Kremer (edited 05-25-2002).]

bonnebert

posted 05-25-2002 08:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bonnebert   Click Here to Email bonnebert     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm with a lot of people. It would be a shame to let this one deteriorate, and I would love to climb it one day.

Bodie Island

Joyce

Punkin
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 08:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Punkin   Click Here to Email Punkin     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My Vote goes to Bodie Island Light, too!!

Harry

JoanieO
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 10:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoanieO     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to nominate the following:
Cape St. George, FL
Esopus Meadows, NY
St. Helena, MI
Bodie Island Light, NC
Sharp's Island Light, MD
Morris Island Light, SC
Don't know for sure if they all qualify.
JoanieO

Bud Schrader
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 10:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bud Schrader   Click Here to Email Bud Schrader     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Not having first hand info, there may be some very deserving lights that won't get votes. Because I know firsthand about Bodie and Pigeon Pt., those are my first two votes.

Bud

DocJ44
WACKO

posted 05-25-2002 10:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the Coquille River Preservation link Moby Dick. Great pictures and very informative about the group's activity. Certainly worthy of being a Wacko Pin!

To my previous 5 nominations, I'll add

6. Coquille River

Doc John

Lonnie Davidson
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 12:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lonnie Davidson   Click Here to Email Lonnie Davidson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BODIE ISLAND, NC !!!!!!!

Hal Dean
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 12:15 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Hal Dean   Click Here to Email Hal Dean     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bodie Island

Bud Schrader
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 07:17 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bud Schrader   Click Here to Email Bud Schrader     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
After viewing the link, Coquille can be added to my list!

Marzipan
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Marzipan   Click Here to Email Marzipan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also nominate Esopus Meadows, NY

~Dale

Len Ariagno
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 01:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Len Ariagno   Click Here to Email Len Ariagno     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would like to nominate:
1) Nauset Beach
2) Sankaty Head
3) Boston Light

Len Ariagno

JoAnn
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 01:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoAnn   Click Here to Email JoAnn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I know that there are many more East Coast members on the forum than West and Bodie certainly needs help,but come West visit the website link and vote for Coquille before it's too late!
JoAnn

keeperpam2
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 02:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for keeperpam2   Click Here to Email keeperpam2     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Coquille

JTimothyA
Saint

planet fresnel

posted 05-26-2002 02:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shucks, I thought folks would pick Mispillion - the poor old thing...

DocJ44
WACKO

posted 05-26-2002 07:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mispillion IS in dire straits of course...BUT it doesn't qualify to be a nominee since there has to be a Harbour Lights replica of the nominee (see rule #9 at the top).

[This message has been edited by DocJ44 (edited 05-26-2002).]

JeffMarsh
WACKO

posted 05-28-2002 01:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JeffMarsh   Click Here to Email JeffMarsh     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In no particular order:

1. Mukilteo, WA
2. Cape St George, FL
3. Pt. Fermin (Hopefully will be open to
the public soon)
4. NEW Point Loma (Needs some major renovation)
5. Coquille, OR
6. Pt Pinos, CA
7. Battery Pt, CA (Will be out in July)

eastpoint

posted 05-28-2002 01:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for eastpoint   Click Here to Email eastpoint     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
East Point NJ
Bodie Island
Currituck

DALE LAWRENCE
Cruise Director

posted 05-28-2002 02:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Pigeon Point! thanks to Gary's photos we have all seen the need there.

Dale

bright eyes
WACKO

posted 05-28-2002 02:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bright eyes   Click Here to Email bright eyes     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Currituck
Round Island
Big Bay Point
Diamond Head
Cape Hatteras

engbrady
Saint

posted 05-28-2002 02:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Esopus Meadows, NY

BGBaccaro

posted 05-28-2002 02:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for BGBaccaro   Click Here to Email BGBaccaro     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Esopus Meadows, NY

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 05-28-2002 10:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
1. Bodie Island
2. Esopus Meadows
3. Coquille River
4. Pigeon Point
5. Currituck

------------------
Tom & Joyce

Moby Dick

posted 05-29-2002 01:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Moby Dick     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
add Mukilteo to my list of nominations

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 05-29-2002 11:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nominations are now closed. Thank you all for your interest and support in this phase of the 2003 Wacko Pin Project. A total of 35 lighthouses were nominated. Nominations will be tallied and results posted once we have verified eligibility.

Darlene

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers