The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

Thread Closed  Thread Closed
UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Postcards & Papers
  Pharologist's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Pharologist's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange
pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-02-2000 06:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John's original idea was sooo good and filled up sooo fast, I'm willing to start another and be the focal point for the work. Here's how it will work:

1) First 25 people to post a note on this thread confirming their willingness.

2) Your cost will be about $12.50 +/- for the cards, and about $5.00 for the 20 cent postage.

3) Each member will mail out one (1) card to each of the other 24 members during the next 4 months(?). The cards can be different or the same.

4) Email me your forums-screenname, name and address, and email address. I'll prepare the mailing list and provide it to all 25 members.

5) Once the list is complete I'll declare the Games Open!! Should be fun and provide some interest in picking up the mail!!!

Comments, questions, etc????

As of now: I'm #1 and 24 to go!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-09-2000).]

Tim3167
WACKO

posted 10-02-2000 08:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tim3167   Click Here to Email Tim3167     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, I'm in on the second group. I already enjoy collecting postcards from areas I visit. This should be fun. Now I just have to plan a roadtrip to find some lighthouse postcards!

Tim

oseabee
WACKO

posted 10-02-2000 09:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi pharo:make me # 2 on your list like you I'm sorry I missed the other.

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 10-02-2000 10:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Add me to the list too.
Darlene

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-03-2000 12:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
As of this date/time we are at four (4) and counting:
pharologst
Ladybug
Oseabee
Tim3167

Members and prospective members(respond to thread first before email) of the LHPE2 don't forget to email me your: forums name, name, address, and your emailaddress.

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-09-2000).]

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-03-2000 12:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in here too! A person can't have too many Lighthouse post cards.

And I'll send you all a different card than my group gets. No duplicates.

St. John of the Internet

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-03-2000 08:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

St. John of the Internet you're the big number 5.

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-03-2000).]

keeperpam2

posted 10-03-2000 10:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for keeperpam2   Click Here to Email keeperpam2     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds great to me too. I wanted in on the first exchange and was too late. Thanks for giving us another spot to sign up on
I am in CA until Oct 10, and will be back in WI. I should have an assortment.

Todd Shorkey
WACKO

posted 10-04-2000 01:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Shorkey   Click Here to Email Todd Shorkey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Go ahead and add me to the list for group #2. I really don't collect postcards, but I like getting things in the mail other than bills!

-Todd

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-04-2000 01:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd is #7 ! Don't miss out on LHPE2 or you'll have to wait for #3 (forthcoming)!!
18 to go!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-04-2000).]

Keri_B

posted 10-04-2000 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Keri_B   Click Here to Email Keri_B     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I want in on this one! Yea! An excuse to go see some lh's! (Then again, who needs an excuse??)

Keri

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-05-2000 09:08 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keri = #8

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-05-2000).]

TD
WACKO

posted 10-05-2000 08:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in! Sounds like fun to me.

TD

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-06-2000 08:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Pharologst, ...if you run short of people for the postcard exchange II, I'm willing to send out another 25 postcards. I just don't want to keep another person from joining in. Let me know....thanks.

From the East Coast where it's 53 degrees and raining. Possible snow flurries in the northwestern part of Mass. this weekend. Time to pull the boat...

Bob

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-06-2000 08:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob, you are more than welcome to join anytime, others from LHPE(1) have joined already! Just say the word and you are in!

As of now TD you are #9
Hey guys we only need 16 more to participate!! What a chance to participate in Americana on lighhouses first hand!!!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-06-2000).]

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-06-2000 10:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey pharologst, ..."The Word". There I've said the word so count me in for the lighthouse postcard exchange 2. Let me know when it has reached 25, send me the addresses, and I'll get the cards out within a couple of days.

PS: let me know when you need my address.

Bob

Beaconfollower
WACKO

posted 10-06-2000 11:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Beaconfollower   Click Here to Email Beaconfollower     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in!!!!

Sheryl

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-07-2000 08:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tally as of now is 11 confirmed and 14 to go!!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-07-2000).]

sunshine
WACKO

posted 10-07-2000 11:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for sunshine   Click Here to Email sunshine     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd love to be part of the postcard exchange, please count me in. Being in the Midwest there aren't a lot of lighthouses but this will give me an excuse to do some traveling.

Judy

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-08-2000 11:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We're at 12 !! We need only 13 more to kick it off !. Sign up and lets get this thing rolling as I've got lighhouses (#14 thru 19) to visit in the next two weeks.
If we don't fill up by Nov 1st, I'll close the ranks and issue the mailing list at that time.

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-08-2000).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-09-2000 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
George,

Add me to your list. I've got plenty of postcards to send out.

Dennis

Brent
WACKO

posted 10-09-2000 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
O.K., Pharologst......you can count me in. I'm in St. John's group and its getting addictive I think I've got enough cards but, if I don't it gives me a great excuse to head for the coast again....

RRohweder
WACKO

posted 10-09-2000 08:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RRohweder   Click Here to Email RRohweder     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, count me in again now that I have my first 25 out.

Rich

------------------

Mark Wagner
Cruise Director

posted 10-09-2000 10:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Mark Wagner   Click Here to Email Mark Wagner     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ok, this time I won't let it pass me by Count me in too !

MrsTLC
WACKO

posted 10-10-2000 12:28 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MrsTLC   Click Here to Email MrsTLC     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey guys & gals...count me in too...This should be great fun...

Ruthie

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-10-2000 08:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WE'RE AT 17 AND HAVE ONLY 8 SLOTS LEFT ! as of this note.
(Need an email from Brent, RRohweder, and MrsTLC with their address/info for the list.)

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-10-2000).]

Jake
Cruise Director

posted 10-10-2000 08:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jake   Click Here to Email Jake     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, I'll join this one too! The first one was fun, and I'd love to do another!

Jakers

TD
WACKO

posted 10-10-2000 11:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Jake, I expect a Hoosier Lighthouse from you! How about Buffington, or Indiana Harbor? I doubt if post cards can be found except for MC.

From the Whiting Oiler.

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 09:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We're at 18, only 7 more slots ! Will email out list to all participants the first week of November due to a lighthouse visitng trip the next twoo weeks!!!!

------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-11-2000).]

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 10-11-2000 11:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll be in for this one too. I'm enjoying receiving the cards so the more, the merrier.

Joanne

Randy Kremer
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 12:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I missed the first one! Not this one! Count me in!!!!!

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 01:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It seems like there are quite a few of the same people joining both exchange lists. What if we joined the two lists together? I don't mind sending out an additional 10-15 post cards. I agree with Joanne, it is fun to watch for new cards in the mail.

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 04:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
At 21, only four left!!

If we make all 25 before 10/16, I'll issue mailing list then, otherwise on 11/1 due to my trip to NJ Lighthouses!.

Still need an email with info from RRohweder, Jake, Randy Kremer, and LorieRoe
------------------

Tom and Joyce Abbott
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 07:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Tom and Joyce Abbott   Click Here to Email Tom and Joyce Abbott     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
No one from Texas yet? Count us in!

Tom & Joyce

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 07:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
22, 3 left to fill !

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-12-2000 02:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My cards are all stamped and laid out with care, the mailing list is almost there, all we need is just THREE more before we go to the post office out the door!!

After the "third" the mail list will be complete, we organize, label, and kick in our feet.

Anticipation is running high, awaiting the days when the cards will arrive!!!

(Apologies to any real poets.)

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-12-2000).]

Keri_B

posted 10-12-2000 03:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Keri_B   Click Here to Email Keri_B     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello...This may be a silly question, but I was wondering--should we include a short note or our names on the cards we mail out? I would personally appreciate a note or a name just so I know where the card came from (aside from the postmark), but I don't want to write all over a card if anyone prefers an "unblemished" postcard. Any thoughts?

Keri_B

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-12-2000 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've attached a short pre-printed note to each of my cards via a computer mailing label. Also utilized the computer to address them all!!!! (from the mailing list which is still three short of full!)
------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-12-2000).]

DeDo
WACKO

posted 10-12-2000 10:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, count me in this group too. I've enjoyed the cards I've received already from Group1.

I always try to buy postcards of the lighthouses we visit,but never had any extras.

I also buy the very old postcards at flea markets of places I've visited on vacation or towns that I have lived in. A couple are lighthouses.

I'll make sure to get different cards for Group 2.

Donna

DeDo
WACKO

posted 10-12-2000 10:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Note to Keri B,

I for one, prefer the personal touch on cards I receive. A note, signature etc. The unmarked card has no value other than a pretty picture.

When I buy my very old cards I prefer a note on the back. It is history.

Someday I hope to meet some of the people I receive the postcards from, it is hard to place a card with just a postmark with the persons mailing it without a note.

Just one opinion,
Donna

TD
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 01:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree. I would like to meet the people who frequent these forums some day. If you have visited the lighthouse that's on the post card, maybe you can write your thoughts on what was the thing you most remembered from your trip. Just a thought.

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
2 MORE NEEDED !! Let's get this rolling this weekend!!!
------------------

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-13-2000).]

Keri_B

posted 10-13-2000 08:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Keri_B   Click Here to Email Keri_B     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey thanks for the thoughts! I was intending to write something on the cards, but then I started to wonder....

Looking forward to the exchange!

Keri

oseabee
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 10:27 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I went out to see if I could find some lighthous cards locally but no luck.then I woke up and even though I consider myself a computer novice some things I can do from trial and error.I got out my CD's and got some post card form paper and will be sending my own pictures of lights from east quoddy to cape Fla.Hope you all like them.
oseabee.

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 01:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oseabee, quite original!, and I'm sure they will be enjoyed greatly!!! My collection of postcards and pictures will now have one that is both!!!
Monday I leave on a two week excursion that includes visits to about 6-8 lighthouses along the Jersey/NY shores. I hope to pick up a bunch of cards as well as take a few dozen digital pictures!!! Sure hope I can get the last two (#24 & #25) signed up, as I'm ready to issue the mailing list AND send out my cards!!
------------------

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-13-2000 02:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Can I suggest adding the following to your list -- although they will not be mailing out cards in turn?

Bill & Nancy Younger
1000 N. Johnson Ave
El Cajon, CA 92020

CarolZ
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 02:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Am I too late? I hope not. I'd like to join the postcard exchange!!!

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 03:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ONLY #25 is OPEN.

LAST CHANCE, post a reply so evryone knows and send me your info, and the LHPE2 will be off to the races!

P.S. Upon my return from lighthousing for the next two weeks, I plan on starting another card exchange so if you miss out on this, I'll do it again about Nov 1st.

Beaconfollower
WACKO

posted 10-13-2000 03:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Beaconfollower   Click Here to Email Beaconfollower     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yes it is a good idea to write a note or tell about the lighthouse that is on the front if you have visited it. I also agree that is would be nice to meet everyone some day. At least by writing a note we can get to know each other a little better. Looking forward to hearing from everyone.

Sheryl

pharologst
WACKO

posted 10-14-2000 08:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We have our 25 in LHPE2, so for now the list is closed and I'll be issuing the mailing list very shortly and the fun at the mailbox can begin!!

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 10-14-2000).]

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 10-14-2000 10:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Congrats to Pharologist's Postcard Exchange for filling up quickly. Time to close this initial thread. If anyone from this exchange wants to discuss cards they have received, questions, etc. Please use the following discussion thread:

Pharologist's Lighthouse Postcard Exchange discussions #1

Rod Watson[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 12-04-2000).]

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Open Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers