The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Block Island, RI

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Block Island, RI
wheland
WACKO

posted 06-08-2002 10:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm taking a little trip to albany, NY and Stratham, NH for my other addiction- the Country Rock group Poco (Buffalo Springfield, Loggins & Messina connections).

I was thinking of coming back and spending a couple of days midweek on Block Island. We never manged to get there in the 4 years our daughter went to URI.

I was hoping for some info on places to stay, eat , etc.

Also taking car versus renting car on island.

Depending on a multitude of things we might come back to NJ via the Ferry in CT to LI.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis

Bob M
Saint

posted 06-09-2002 05:39 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Dennis, ...You really don't need a vehicle on the Block. You can walk most everywhere you want to go, or take a cab. If you stay in the Old Harbor area, the cab fare to either the North Light or the Southeast Light is only about $8 for two people. When I visit the Southeast Light, I usually take a cab to the light then walk back. There are so many beautiful views that are better enjoyed on foot than in a vehicle.

The North Light is a little further from town and would probably take you the better part of an hour to walk the return trip.

Let me know when you're going, and I'll let you know if I'll be there.

Bob

Randy Kremer
Cruise Director

posted 06-10-2002 12:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis, you need to hook up with Bob!

That's his back yard!

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-10-2002 01:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that I did not need to take a car. It makes getting to and from the island easier.

I'll probably need to take the taxi to and fro- I've got a bum leg right now.

Any opinions on where to stay? I've gone online and checked out a few places, but they all look good on "paper".

Any ideas would be helpful from anybody who has spent time there.

Dennis

Bob M
Saint

posted 06-10-2002 09:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There are three rather large hotels at Old Harbour, where the ferries dock. They are the National Hotel, Harborview Hotel, and the Surf Hotel. They tend ot be a wee bit expensive this time of year. They are not luxury accommodations like the large hotels on the mainland.

Block Island is basically low key and the folks there would like to keep it that way.

Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-11-2002 01:24 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've anticipated pricey.

The first 4 nights of my trip are "free". I'll be using my Marriott Rewards Points for all of them.

I figure the 2 nights on Block Island will be the extravagence of the trip. The plan is to arrive on 7-29 and leave on 7-31.

I thank you for your suggestions. I've got some friends that have been to block Island, but not for about 10 years so their memories are a bit hazy.

Dennis

engbrady
Saint

posted 06-11-2002 10:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We stayed at the National and took our car... we still walked a lot... but I drove back to both lighthouses three or four times.. Sunsets and mornings...

We ate in a couple of really nice places.... both came recommended by the director at Southeast Lighthouse, sorry but I can't remember there names. I suspect most of the places to eat there are very good as all the people I ran into had big smiles on their faces.

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-12-2002 04:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul,

I made reservations at the National.

I tried about 7 other places first- smaller hotels, inns, guest houses. None had any of the rooms i was interested in available.
The National looked nice on the website and with a satisfied customer it sounded good to me.

I decided to go with the car and got reservations for the Ferry.

I also made reservations for the Cross sound Ferry and am using the Info on the LI Chapter of US Lighthouse Society to do LI on the way home.

That's a great little set of directions and info.

Thanks to all. If anybody thinks of any places to eat that are good and reasonable let me know.

I'll be staying overnight in Riverhead, NY.

Dennis

engbrady
Saint

posted 06-12-2002 05:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The best I can do is to describe how to find the one restaurant. On the road coming back to town from North Block Lighthouse when it comes to a T and you have to turn right to get back to downtown the restaurant is on your left side after you make the right turn. You would then turn left just past the restaurant (that I can't think of it's name) to get back downtown to the National Hotel which had very good food itself... I believe the outside of the restaurant was gray in color of course that could have changed. It was a little pricey but GREAT food and service!!!! Maybe Bob can figure out the name by the location I described...

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-12-2002 05:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm going to print that out and find that restaurant.

Then I'm going to come back and tell you the name. It's amazing how sometimes we can remember things in great detail, but forget the one detail that would make the rest almost uneesacarry.

Pricey doesn't scare me as much since I got a bargain (relatively speaking on the hotel).

Thanks again.

Dennis

Dave H
Saint

posted 06-12-2002 09:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by engbrady:
The best I can do is to describe how to find the one restaurant. . . You would then turn left just past the restaurant (that I can't think of it's name) . . .

The part I am having a hard time understanding is how Paul managed to have a meal he enjoyed in a restaurant and he didn't take a picture of it!?! (tic....)

Dave

engbrady
Saint

posted 06-13-2002 08:59 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The name of the place is Winfields!!!! From all that I find on the Internet I am pretty sure that this is the place I am thinking of....

[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 06-13-2002).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-13-2002 10:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll be sure to see if it fits the bill.

Thanks again. Sometimes things like that can drive you crazy until you get an answer.

Dennis

Bob M
Saint

posted 06-13-2002 11:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You're confusing me, Paul. When you leave the North Light, you're on Corn Neck Road. You follow that road until you pass the "Yellow Kittens" which is attached to "Winfields" and then your next left (Dodge Ave, I think) brings you to Old Harbor and the very small center of town.

Recommended restaurants: Mohegan Cafe which is right next to the National Hotel (Great coconut shrimp, nachos, tuna, swordfish, and steaks & prime rib); Eli's which is right near the National on the street that runs perpendicular to the main street (opens around 1730 hours and only sits about 30-40 people. Great golden margarittas! Expensive but the food is super with extra large portions that can be split.); Dead-Eye Dicks over at New Harbor has great food; The Beachcomber on Corn Neck Road just up from Winfields has a nice menu with good food; Bethany's Airport Diner at the airport has the best breakfast on the island; Ballard's Inn is a must for a drink, live entertainment for all ages, and the food is okay/good; Captain Nick's Rock n Roll Bar is noisy and mainly for a very young crowd, I never ate there; Post Office Bagel Shop near Winfields has the best bagels and muffins on the island; The Atlantic Inn, the Spring House, and the Mantasses are very expensive and good, but I don't frequent them; Fin's Seafood right on Old Harbor has super fried food and seafood; if you like Irish singers, check out Walter McDonough's scheduled appearences at the Yellow Kittens and Mahogany Shoals. Mahogany Shoals is a very small bar well hidden at Paynes Dock, New Harbor.(Did you notice I didn't mention the restaurants at the National and Harborview?)

If it were me: Mohegan Cafe, Dead-Eye Dicks, Fin's Seafood, and the Beachcomber for dinner. For Breakfast: Bethany's Airport Diner and the Old Post Office Bagel Shop.

That's enough suggestions for now...

Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-13-2002 07:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I need to stay two weeks to cover them all.

I'll have to put them into a hat and pull out one at a time.

I'm sure all of them would be great. I'll definitely try both of the suggestions for breakfast.

Dennis

engbrady
Saint

posted 06-13-2002 07:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
That's the right place... Winfields, it was attached to another place...

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers