The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Mini Long Island Tour

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Mini Long Island Tour
wheland
WACKO

posted 06-02-2001 08:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I, and my wife Esther, were planning on going to a concert at Westbury, NY on 6-1-01. Now, i'm going to tell you who we were going to see, but I expect few will know at least one of the groups. I'm as big a fan of the group Poco as I am of lighthouses. My wife tolerates both these endeavours. she enjoys both of them, just not at my level of zeal. the other band was America (unfortunately they were the headliner, but that's a story for the other list i belong to)

We decided to combine the two interests. The coney Island Lighthouse was an obvious choice as it was on the way and it's just now being released. I added Fire Island to the list since I missed getting out there for the LI Chapter's Meeting. I added Stepping Stones to round out the list as it was not too far from Westbury.

We did not get as early a start as I thought we would. We had no trouble getting to Coney Island. I modified Bob's great directions to come from the NJ area. I flashed my Lighthouse museum card and namedropped and the gate went up and we were on our way.

Drove on down to the Lighthouse and took a good look at it and got some nice pictures. I did not see any sign of anyone at home, but there were plenty of the neighbors about. I opted to not open the gate and go in as i was not sure if anyone would call the Police on me. they patroll the area regularly.

It's a gated community. One of the most unusual one's I've seen. It's full of mostly ordinary houses, at least the part i was in. the vast majority were in very good shape, but some were in disrepair. I think it's in a transition phase.

The Lighthouse has seen better days. It needs a paint job, but other than that it looks in great shape. you can see the Red lens inside the Lantern room, but there is a Red Aerobeacon outside also.

We left there and started on our way to Fire Island. The traffic was horrendous. I was forcd to skip it and go on my way to Westbury.

I decided on the way that I'd still try for the Stepping Stones Lighthouse. It's out in the Long Island Sound just off the Northern side of the Throgg's Neck Bridge at the western end of Long Island in Nassau Co (King's Point/ Great Neck area).

We got off I495 at Exit 33 took Lakeville Rd towards Lake success, NY. At Rt 25 the road changes names to South Middle Neck than Middle Neck Rd. you wend your way thru Great Neck and out to the Kings Point area. You turn left on Steamboat Rd and continue for about 2 miles to King's Point Rd. Turn Right. Go a short way and turn left on Sunset Rd. Here you have two options- 1. If you happen to live in Nassau Co and have your county Park Card you can go into Stepping Stones Park and park your car and walk down to the Marina where I believe you can get the best view of the Lighthouse.

I say believe, because as I'm not a resident of Nassau co and the "Guard" at the booth said "Lighthouse, what Lighthouse?" the Lightouse Society membership trick would not work.
Option 2 is to continue down sunset Rd and as it turns to the left slow down and look between the houses and trees along the way. you will get a view of the Lighthouse. It's reminiscent of Rose Island, RI but smaller.

I did mange to get a couiple of distant shots from the road here. I also got someone to shut their curtains- I guess they thought I was taking a picture of their living room.

I was very tempted to go on private property, but I resisted. You don't get a very good view of the Lighthouse. I'd say winter is a better time to view it- less trees in the way.

There is also one other place i found to get a dramatic, if long distance view of the lighthouse. If you stay on King's Point Rd past Sunset for about 4 more streets you'll come to Lighthouse Rd. You get very nice view of the Stepping Stones Lighthouse going down the hill on Lighthouse Rd. the road ends in a circle so it's easy to get back out.

The houses around here are more the type you would expect to find in a gated community, but it is not, although there are quite a few individual houses with gates on their driveway entrances. Very nice area.

Not a bad day. 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I was hoping for all 3 and also for a little closer view of Stepping Stones, but i've been further away from some others in the past.

Next trip i'm going to try for Sand's Point, Cold spring Harbor and maybe Fire Island again. That won't be soon, as I've decide I don't like driving around on Long Island.

The toipper of the day was after the concert I decided to take I-495 to I-278 to Staten island to NJ. The rain was coming down in buckets and the traffic was still crazy and the LIE is under major reconstruction. We missed the turnoff and ended up going thru the Queens midtown and Lincoln Tunnels.

It was an adventure.

Dennis

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 06-02-2001 09:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wheland:
The rain was coming down in buckets and the traffic was still crazy and the LIE is under major reconstruction. We missed the turnoff and ended up going thru the Queens midtown and Lincoln Tunnels.

Guess they need some kind of a light to mark the exit?!?

Thanks for sharing your mini-adventure with us. Hope you also enjoyed the concerts. And, yes I do remember both Poco and America.

Dave

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-02-2001 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great story Dennis! I liked the part about the folks who closed their curtains best!

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-03-2001 12:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave,

Your knowing who Poco is tell's me your no spring chicken anymore. Then again there are lot's of people my age who say "Poco? What's a Poco?" when I mention them.

That's the only other list I participate in on the Web. The good Feeling To Know site has good people on it- just like those on this site. I won't go on a site where people can't express their ideas and opinions without being berated or "flamed " for it.

I've been a Poconut much longer than I've been a Wacko.

I do wish there had been a Light to follow.

I did enjoy Poco, but I left after meeting up with some list mates between the shows. I had to go to work this morning (Sat 6-2).

Dennis

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-03-2001 12:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mombo,

When I got back to the car I told my wife about it and told her to keep an eye out for the Cop's . I thought maybe the people thought I was a pervert or some type of criminal.

I stayed on public property at all times, but this area was like a gated community without the gates. I think the cheap digs were about $750,000. Nice houses, very nice houses.

Dennis

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-03-2001 12:33 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Dennis. Nice to see you got to some Long Island lighthouses.
Sorry to hear you got stuck in traffic...now you understand what my every day life entails...and the LIE (I-495), well, you might as well avoid it at all costs in Nassau and Queens right now...because, as you said, it it undergoing major construction. Next time try either the Northern or Southern State Parkways (to the Grand Central and Belt Parkways once you're in the five boroughs)...they usually move a lot better...I would suggest that anyone travelling in the LI/NYC area find out what the construction situation is before you tackle on any big travel plans. It can be pretty rough out there...there are some major reconstruction projects going on now...and it's congested enough w/o construction. Here's a good site to consult for construction planning in the area: http://dell.metrocommute.com/...or you could always ask me the best way
I guess you must have missed the sign for the BQE (Brooklyn-Queens Expressway)...easy mistake to make since the exit right before is completely diverted and the one for the BQE is right after it really...I always have to be careful with that one...and if it was raining and it was hard to see, well, you have every excuse in the world...and I feel bad for you because I know the run on 495 after the BQE exit to the Queens Midtown Tunnel can be the worst as far as traffic - hopefully you got lucky? I wouldn't suggest heading for the BQE from the LIE that way next time though either. The BQE is notorious for traffic jams...although the LIE has been making the BQE look like a piece of cake in recent days...and I can only say this because trust me, I have felt your pain! Haha. A few months back I got stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway for 3 1/2 hours (not moving more than 50 feet) because a crane tipped over on one of the bridge ramps...the only 3 exits out were closed off!...and the killer was that I was literally 150 feet from the way out...now that's progress with construction!
Anyway, I hope even with all of the frustration, you had a good time once you got where you were headed.

[This message has been edited by kscroope (edited 06-03-2001).]

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-03-2001 03:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Better way to see Stepping Stones lighthouse...haven't done it yet myself on this end of the Island, but I'm sure the view from the water is as good as it gets.
See 2001 schedule - "One by land, three by sea": Stepping Stones, Execution Rock, Sands Pt., Fire Is. http://www.lighthousesafaris.com/
P.S. Sands Point is located on private property, so you won't be able to see it except from the water...and Execution Rocks is just too far away from land to get a good view (unless maybe you tried to view it from Westchester County?...it's supposed to be close to New Rochelle).

I actually just found another cruise tour...looks like on the same boat...but something for just a few hours and a lot less money if you go with just the "sightseeing tour" option. http://www.allisonrose.com/sightseeing.htm
Just another option
[This message has been edited by engbrady (edited 06-03-2001).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-03-2001 10:54 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kristen,

The most galling part is that I should have known about the construction. I'm the one people call to find out about that kind of thing.

I'm working as a Travel Counselor at AAA. I never did get around to checking out the construction on my route. I did not originally intend to use the LIE. I routed myself on the Northern but decided when I left the Westbury Music Fair to take I-495.

The computer program at work and on Mapquest routes you the way I actually ended up going. It's a mindless program that takes the shortest way using major highways. I had no intention of going that way. I could see the exit , but I was in the left lane and had no safe way to get over in time. I had a couple of exits before the tunnel, but with the weather I did not want to be roaming around trying to find my way back on the LIE in the other direction. It was just another part of the fun driving experience of the day. I gave myself almost 8 hours to go to 3 Lighthouses and get dinner before the show. I barely made it to 2 and dinner before the show. I guess I should have given myself 10 hours.

I plan on going back to LI, but not right away and not on a Friday afternoon.

Dennis

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-03-2001 02:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi again, Dennis.
I guess you can at least put the traffic nightmare behind you now, right? I'll be right back in it on Monday...I've actually never heard of the Stepping Stones Park you are speaking of. I will be in Manhasset on Monday, so maybe if I get done with my job at a decent time, I'll head over that way to check it out (although I'm sure the time will never work out)...maybe, if I am really lucky, I can get one of my Nassau County resident contractors to take me over there (you usually don't need the sticker if you have your driver's license showing your home address)?
So, when do we get to see your pictures? It's always interesting to see the same lighthouses from different people's photographic perspectives....not to mention in different weather conditions.
It's too bad I didn't get to take any pictures the day I was out at Coney Island lighthouse...it was actually a very mild blue sky day...but I just got in to see it by chance that day since I was working right around the corner...it wasn't a planned visit at all.
My dad definitely got some great shots on his visit though...I'll have to put some more up when I get some time to really work on my website.
Well, anyway, I look forward to seeing your photos.
Kristin

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-03-2001 09:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I did not finish the roll so it may be awhile before I get them back.

I'm not sure how well they are going to come out. I don't have a great zoom on my camera and the distance was fairly great.

I'm sure they won't rival the ones that I've seen on your site. I probably got some nice shots of Coney Island, though.

I'll try and find something to take a picture of soon. I'll be at Sandy Hook this coming Sunday. So anybody who wants to be greeted by my wife, Esther, and given a tour of Sandy Hook by mne come on out this coming Sunday (6-10).

My deepest sympathies to you and anyone else that has to deal with those LI roads every day. I'd go crazy.

Dennis

Dennis

[This message has been edited by wheland (edited 06-03-2001).]

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-04-2001 08:20 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The key to getting around Long Island or anyplace else is timing. Bad weather or middle of the day is when everyone else is doing the same thing. I know, you were trying to fit it in to your tight schedule - (POCO?)! two out of three lhs is pretty good, considering your story!
And ... that was you looking through my curtains!
Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-04-2001 11:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,

Nice house you have there. Apparently your daughter knows nothing about it.

As to Poco? they are a musical group that has been around since 1969. It was formed by two members of the Buffalo Springfield- Richie Furay and Jim Messina joined by Rusty Young, Randy Meisner and George Grantham.

I've been a Poconut (sort of like a Harbour Lights Wacko) since 1970. Seen them in concert about 20 times over the years. Country Rock best describes their sound. In fact Randy Meisner left and joined the Eagles and was replaced by Timothy b Schmit who later replaced Randy Meisner in the Eagles. I sense a pattern here.

I have decided that definitely a Friday afternoon is not the time to drive East on Long Island unless you have plenty of time. I left home at 12:30 for an 8 PM show and was almost late for it

Had a good time though. As you said 2 out of 3 ain't bad. I've had worse results in Lighthousing.

Dennis

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-04-2001 02:07 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Dennis,
Even you should know everybody goes to the Hamptons (after Memorial Day to Labor Day) on Friday afternoon until Saturday morning? I'm sure it's the same at Jersey Beaches. Buffalo Springfield - I can remember - POCO, I can't think of a song?
Glad you enjoyed what you saw. You probably could have seen Stepping Stones better from Kings Point College at their dock. Although there is a guard at the gate you can get in by asking to see the maritime museum or you want to get info from admissions.
Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-04-2001 04:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,

I knew that , but I figured I'd be ahead of it at 1-2 PM. I had to do it that day as that was when the show was.

I actually intended to leave earlier, but my wife had to go into work for part of the day.

I went to the area I did because my computer program Street Atlas showed them to be the furthest out towards the light.

Thw museum is listed on the map, but not the College. The museum is not on the shoreline, at least not on the map.

I'm looking into your daughter's suggestion about the 1 By Land 3 By Sea Tour.

Some of Poco's songs- Call It Love, Heart Of The Night, Legend, Good Feeling To Know, C'Mon. I'm not surprised you don't know the name. I'm sure you listened to some of their songs way back in the olden days.

They never quite percolated to the top of the heap. Jim Messina got the most attention after he left to join Kenny Loggins.

I'm a music nut like alot of us are lighthouse nuts.

Dennis

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-04-2001 09:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Dennis. Next time you are driving out to Fire Island lighthouse and the traffic is nuts, try Ocean Parkway. I got stuck in Manhasset today until about 5:30 PM...so, pretty much, my ride home was doomed. I opted for the Nothern State Parkway rather than the Expressway...which was a good choice to start...but then as I was nearing the exits for the Meadowbrook Parkway and Glen Cove Road, traffic was backed up...so I figured I'd start heading to the South Shore from here...eventhough I know better than to think that the Southern State Parkway would be any better at this time of the day. So, just as I suspected, as I got to the south shore, the exits for Sunrise Highway and Southern State were backed up...so I said the heck with it and just kept going...over the bridge towards Jones Beach...and it was the best thing I could have done. It was a nice ride from Jones Beach to Robert Moses...it was a nice day...I rolled the windows down & had the sun roof open...I was surrounded by beaches instead of cars - definitely beats the stop and go traffic on every other road. The only thing with Ocean Parkway is you have to be careful of the speed limit...the State Park police and State troopers love to pull people over for speeding there...not that I have first hand experience...just a first hand observer ...oh, and of course, in the summer, especially on weekends, the traffic on Ocean Parkway is a bit heavier...but Ocean Parkway will take you practically right up to Fire Island Lighthouse. I didn't stop there today, but I had a very clear view of it in front of me before I turned onto the bridge to go back north on Robert Moses Parkway. I'm really glad I went this way today...I actually made it home in good time...just over an hour...and that included driving all the way over the bay to get to a clear highway...and then all the way back to get back to the road home. Well, anyway, just so you know there's a better option for next time.

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-04-2001 11:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks. I'll add that to my list of directions gleaned from posts by the Long Island Experts- the Father / Daughter Tag Team of Lighthousing The Scroopes.

Seriously, though, thanks for the tip. I also contacted the Lighthouse Safari's and am contemplsting my next foray into the wilds of Long Island.

I mentioned this to my wife and she laughed because I said more than once on Friday that I was not returning to Long Island for a Long, long time.

Dennis

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-05-2001 08:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Allison Rose is doing Friday(yes FRIDAYS, I'm cringing myself) trips every other week starting July 6 at 1:30pm. 2 hour trip for $15 to see the Stepping Stones, Sands Point and Execution Rock.

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-05-2001 10:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds a bit like trying to drive out to Cape Cod for a Saturday arrival. I accompanied a friend once when she was driving out for her two week stay in N. Truro. We left Syracuse at 3am and beat the rush. After we arrived, she checked in and we went for a leisurely breakfast until her place was ready for us.

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-05-2001 06:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK Dad, so when are we going? Pick a Friday that doesn't rain, please. Do they need advanced reservations?...or do you just buy your tickets when you get there?

wheland
WACKO

posted 06-05-2001 07:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was thinking of the July 8th 1 By land 3 by Seauntil my wife vetoed the ides.

She pointed out that trying to come back home on a sunday would probably be worse than going out on a Friday (if that's possible).

I'll probably go on a dinner cruise on Sep 17. It's a Monday I'm off and I might even take a Vacation Day on that tuesday and try and get to Cold Spring Harbor and Fire Island. I'll have all day.

Dennis

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-06-2001 07:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis,
In your wife's defense...coming home on a Sunday can most definitely be worse than driving in on a Friday...especially in the summer...the people that had gone out to the Hamptons or the North Fork for the weekend have to go back where they came from to work on Monday...that's why sometimes even the Monday morning traffic is worse than any other day of the week...people can't stand the Sunday "go back towards the City traffic" so they wait until Monday morning to try to avoid it and make the regular commute even worse...and then in the cooler months, Fridays into the city are the worst because people are looking for something to do for the weekend...I had to go to a Friday night wedding in the fall in Westchester and it took me over 2 1/2 hours to get there because the traffic was so bad - It shouldn't have taken me more than a little more than an hour and a half at worst!
Anyway, I guess the middle suburbs are just too boring...everyone is always travelling from one extreme end of the Island to the next...and it's not like it's a small Island...just too many cars on it. Haha.

[This message has been edited by kscroope (edited 06-06-2001).]

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 06-11-2001 06:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good Long Island Lighthouse to visit next time is Eatons Neck Lighthouse.
See the following for pictures and more information: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000278.html

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers