The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Cape Cod Lights & Birds

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Cape Cod Lights & Birds
Stan
WACKO

posted 05-05-2001 08:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Stan   Click Here to Email Stan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've got a rare opportunity to travel to Cape Cod next week and would like to see as many lighthouses as I can. I'll have one full day and part of another to see them. I'd like to combine LH viewing with some birding, perhaps a chance for this Florida boy to see some northeast pelagic's. Can anyone enlighten me as to which LH's I'll be able to view during this brief visit and where some Cape birding hotspots might be? My base of operations while on the Cape will be Brewster. Many thanks in advance.

oseabee
WACKO

posted 05-05-2001 10:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If you want to spend a day along the outer cape to see some wonderful lights follow the mid cape highway and turn of at Chatham where you can visit Chatham light if you stop in at the base office they have usually been good about letting you look around and possibly climbing the tower.the base of the old north tower is still there the tower is now the Nauset light.Get on the shore rd.rte 28 and follow it to eastham and stop at the seashore welcome center and they can steer you to Nauset and the three sisters.Then continue on rte 28 to truro where on the right you will see a sign to Highland(cape cod) light after that get back on the same rd and follow it into the end to the national seashore parking lot where you can see the Old Harbor LSS and the can point you to a spot where you can view race point.But if you feel like a long couple mile hike in the sand you can walk out to Race point.there are also two more lights way out on the point but they are a long way and you need 4WD to get there. Hope this helps you.Bill O'Brien

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 05-06-2001 08:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Stan, ...Bill has given good advice. I would recommend that your drive all the way to Provincetown first. Traffic will be a little lighter going on Cape than off Cape at that time of the morning. Take Rte 6 all the way. You can view Race Point from a distance right from a convenient parking lot. A long walk through the sand may take up more time than you're willing to give.

As you head out of P-Town, you will see the signs for "Cape Cod Light" (Highland Light) in Truro. You can drive right up to within a couple of hundred feet of the light.

Get back on Rte 6 and continue on till you see the junction of Rtes 6 & 28 in Orleans. Stop and ask for directions to Nauset Light. It's only a few minutes from that junction. When you're at Nauset Light, the Three Sisters are a short distance up the road. You can walk it in less than five minutes.

Get back on Rte 28 West and head to Chatham. Chatham Light is right at the USCG Station. Once again stop and ask directions from one of the local businesses. Chatham Light is easy to find.

Get back on Rte 28 West and drive to Falmouth. Once again ask for directions to Nobska Light. They will direct you to the correct left to take to drive along the road adjacent to the beach. Stay on it and you will come to Nobska Light. When you leave Nobska don't back-track. This road will take you to another road that leads into Woods Hole.Take a left and you will go into Woods Hole. If you take a right you will head back to Rte 28 which will take you back towards the bridges over the Cape Cod Canal and back on to the mainland.

Well, I hope this is a little bit of help to you. These lights aren't difficult to find if you take the time to ask for directions when you get close. Bring plenty of film and get some great pics!

Bob

P.S. You mention a day and a half of time. Have you considered doing the Rhode Island Lights?

[This message has been edited by Bob M (edited 05-06-2001).]

JChidester
Saint

posted 05-06-2001 11:07 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan - here's a cheap, but good, guide to the Lighthouses of Massachusetts. Call LH Depot or check locally for it:

http://www.lhdepot.com/Order.cfm?orderitem=93360

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 05-06-2001 04:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just did some Cape Cod lighthousing this past September. It's really fairly easy to find lighthouses there. Since it wasn't quite beach weather when we were there, we picked up a Rand McNally Cape Cod map to go exploring. This map actually worked quite well for the purpose of finding the lighthouses since the lighthouses are actually marked out pretty precisely on the map, along with the major roadways to get to them. We never stopped to ask for directions or anything like that, and we were still succesful in finding the lights we were heading for without really any trouble at all. The only ones that I remember being a little tricky were the Three Sisters because we missed the little sign that showed you how to get to them (after we finally found the lighthouses, I could have kicked myself...it was easy to get there...but maybe I was just very blind at the time...it happens.)- You don't drive to them, you just walk down the road a little on this small dirt path and head into a little clearing in a wooded area where they have been moved to. Speaking of which, I think once you got near many of the lighthouses, there were signs directing you towards them, which always helps. It was a fun adventure anyway. If you need more specific directions, I can get you them. I have notes that I had kept to put up on my webpage lighthouse guide (when I get around to it...for now, I have some pictures up http://scroope.net/lighthouses/capecodmass.htm). Anyway, I don't think you'll have to worry much about tourist traffic this time of the year (and parking/admission will be free at all the beaches and parks since it it before Memorial Day) - It will actually probably be very similar this time of year to when I was there. Keep in mind that people live there on a year round basis and there will be traffic around 8-10 in the morning when everyone is heading to work and school, and then return traffic around dinner time...and there also seemed to be heavy traffic in the towns around 2 to 3:30 when schools were letting out. If you stick to major highways at these times, you should be fine (although the scenic routes are much nicer, and not to be missed), but you could get held up driving through the towns at these times. We did! While you are there, definitely try to hit the shore roads on the east coast, especially around the Chatham area. It's really beautiful there. Have fun!

[This message has been edited by kscroope (edited 05-06-2001).]

Stan
WACKO

posted 05-08-2001 08:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Stan   Click Here to Email Stan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Many thanks to all for your comments & suggestions. I've printed your responses and will carry them along on the journey. Sounds like I'll be able to get to each of the lights you all mentioned. We launch outta here tomorrow and will be back Sunday. Will let you know how it went.

oseabee
WACKO

posted 05-08-2001 09:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Two more things FYI this time of year the cape gets busy on weekends,my son and daughter said the last two weekends have been busy.Number two on the way to Provincetown on rte 6 in the Truro,Eastham area on the left is an Audabon sanctuary.Bill O'Brien

Stan
WACKO

posted 05-13-2001 09:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Stan   Click Here to Email Stan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Back from my Cape Cod lighthouse/birding trip. Located & viewed all the lights previously discussed (well, viewed a few from a distance -- Race Pt and the two small lights at Provincetown were a bit of a walk). Finding them was easy -- Highland, Nauset, & Chatham are well marked and close to the major roads. Nobska presented the only problem -- no signs directing you to it and Church Street (the turnoff road from Woods Hole Road) is poorly marked -- the street sign is about 4" X 12" and is all but surrounded by a large shrub. John, I appreciate the recommendation on the guide -- was able to locate one with no problem. It's really all anyone needs -- good directions, images, descriptions, histories, etc. Bill, I stopped at the Massachusetts Audubon Sanctuary in Wellfleet -- a terrific place; however, the best birding I found was up near Provincetown in the Cape Cod National Seashore.
Next trip is in June to Long Island & Baltimore area. Will have one day for lighthousing on L.I. -- any thoughts on which ones I should try for? My base of operations will be the Islip area.
Thanks again to all for the help -- it was a fun trip.

kscroope
Cruise Director

posted 05-26-2001 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stan,
See the following to get a better idea of Long Island lighthouse locations: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum15/HTML/000260.html

------------------
KRISTIN ERIN SCROOPE
kristin@scroope.net
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers