The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Lighthousing at Norton’s Point, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Lighthousing at Norton’s Point, Coney Island, Brooklyn, New York
rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-15-2001 02:00 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I had the opportunity today to stop by the Lighthouse after a equipment demo in the area. Getting to the LH was fairly easy: Belt Parkway to Stillwell Ave South Exit 6N, south to Neptune Ave, west on Neptune Ave to the end at a guarded entrance to a private community. Now comes the fun part. Pull out your “I’m a LH person” business card and drop the lighthouse keepers name at the gate (you can email me for the name).
Now continue on Neptune to Surf Ave bear right and make a left on Beach 47th. Remember it’s March so I parked right across the street on walked on to the property. Nobody around, I had hoped to meet the 84 year old keeper. Cruised into the amusement area back by Stillwell and revisted my youthful pursuits – Wonder Wheel, Parachut Jump, Cyclone Rollercoaster, and Nathans. Nice morning, especially since there was no traffic, and the 112 mile roundtrip was completed including the exploring in 3 hours door-to-door. Don’t use these estimates for yourself!
Here's a Look!
The back
http://www.geocities.com/rscroope/ConeyLHGrass.jpg

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-20-2001).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 03-15-2001 04:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,

Thanks for the info. I don't know why, but I'm not getting any picture.

I'm going to try and get there myself sometime in the near future. Especially now. It will be a special trip this year.

Dennis

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 03-15-2001 07:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glad you were successful getting in Bob!

(No picture here either, maybe we'll see one later this evening???)

oseabee
WACKO

posted 03-15-2001 08:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
just click on the adress under the box and it will bring up a great picture of coney light.Bill O'Brien oseabee

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-24-2001 07:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
New website under construction
http://scroope.net/lighthouses/coneyisland.htm

------------------
<FONT FACE="Haettenschweiler" SIZE="+2" COLOR="Red">Long Island BOB
</FONT>

JChidester
Saint

posted 03-24-2001 09:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just knew this was coming. No one is more interested in Long Island Lighthouses than Bob Scroope - except for his friend Bob Muller.

Since Bob runs www.longislandlighthouses.com -- it was inevitable that Long Island Bob would have one soon.

Good start, Bob. I see you've enrolled one of the offspring in the job. So will you now also have an email address of bob@scroope.net?

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-26-2001 10:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This is totally Kristin's website. I've given her my pictures to post. She claims to have discovered her lighthouse addiction on her own but the Harbour Lights disease was passed on by me. This site is meant to be lighthousing(lh visitor) friendly with maps and directions as well as many views of the lighthouses as they currently exist. From there, we'll see where it goes.
[b]Here's the main lighthouse page:
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-26-2001).]

kscroope
Registered Member

posted 03-30-2001 10:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FYI - I have had to reorganize my website a bit - Too many lighthouses to keep in one file folder. The updated link to see Coney Island Lighthouse is at http://www.scroope.net/longislandlighthouses/coneyisland.htm
I tried to keep the lead pages of the site where they were...and I did make up a 404 error page to help you get to the new page from the removed page, just in case you use(d) the old link. Sorry for any confusion.

------------------
KRISTIN ERIN SCROOPE
kristin@scroope.net
http://www.scroope.net/lighthouses/lhlist.htm

GerryBu
WACKO

posted 04-01-2001 01:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GerryBu   Click Here to Email GerryBu     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kristin, Very nice WEB site and great photos Bob. GerryBu

kscroope
Registered Member

posted 04-08-2001 08:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, this response is probably a little late...but ok, Dad, I guess I can't CLAIM to have discovered my lighthouse addiction on my own. Maybe it has something to do with vacations at Montauk every summer and beach vacations practically everywhere else ever we went to (on the East Coast!). Maybe it was a "conditioned" lighthouse addiction? Just call me Pavlov's dog. LOL! It has gotten to the point where I can't go out to Montauk with anyone who's never been there before and not take them to see the lighthouse.

[This message has been edited by kscroope (edited 04-08-2001).]

kscroope
Registered Member

posted 04-28-2001 08:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FYI - In case anyone gets a chance to visit the South Street Seaport Museum in southeastern Manhattan, the original Coney Island Lighthouse lens is supposed to be on display there. http://www.southstseaport.org

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 04-29-2001 02:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the info Kristin on South Street Seaport Museum. I will be in Manhattan from June 2-4. That is one of the places I wanted to visit while I will be there.

wheland
WACKO

posted 04-29-2001 06:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If I remember correctly they have the Titantic Memorial Lighthouse that was atop the Seaman's Institute.

It was located in the area and the lighthouse was salvaged when the building was torn down. It was displayed at one time at the entrance to the south Street Seaport area.

I have not been there for some time so it may have been moved. The Lighthship Ambrose should still be there though.

I have an old postcard of the Titantic Memorial perched on top of the Institute. The caption states that one can se right down the Narrows all the way to Sandy Hook

Dennis

kscroope
Registered Member

posted 04-29-2001 06:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for kscroope   Click Here to Email kscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The National Parks Service webpage for Coney Island Lighthouse says that the original lens is at South Street Seaport Museum, as I had heard. http://www.cr.nps.gov/maritime/light/coney.htm
It's funny though...the picture they have on their page looks like it was developed backwards. I recall the cottage being on the other side of the light...and all of my dad's pictures look that way too.
Anyway, I browsed throught the South Street Seaport Museum site, and couldn't find any info on the Coney Island lighthouse lens...so I e-mailed them to see if they have anything on it and if the lens if actually displayed there. I'll let you know what I hear. Still looks like a cool place to visit though. I don't think I have actually ever been there? Maybe I was and just don't remember?...but I know I have driven by it a zillion times in the last few years going down FDR Drive though. Actually, the day I got to see the Coney Island lighthouse in the fall, I drove down from a job I was on in the Bronx...down through Manhattan on FDR Drive (I think heading towards the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel to get to Brooklyn...I had another job to get to on Coney Island on the corner of Mermaid Avenue and 37th Street?...right around the corner from Seagate!...that's how I got in to see the lighthouse.), and the "Tall Ships" were all there...and since I was stuck in traffic for a while, I got to take a pretty nice look. I should really go there some day...especially if the lens is there. I think it would be interesting to see, amongst other things there.
OK...so nice long story, right?...and I'm not even a wacko...at least not yet!

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers