The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Yerba Buena Light

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Yerba Buena Light
DocJ44
WACKO

posted 03-11-2001 06:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Does anyone have any information about possibly arranging a visit to Yerba Buena lighthouse?

I know its closed to the public and this is a long shot question but I figured I would ask to see if anyone had any leads. I have one Saturday free when I am in the bay area in a couple weeks and its one I haven't seen yet. If not, I can still plan to see Point Bonita (the trail to it was closed when I was there 2 years ago).

Doc John

Kaiz
WACKO

posted 03-11-2001 07:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kaiz   Click Here to Email Kaiz     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi John,

Good luck. I tried everything to try and get a tour over there for pictures. I e-mailed, called and wrote to the Coast Guard. It came down to the Admiral (whose residence it is) refused our request mostly because the site is contaminated (at least that is what I was told).

Patty

easya
WACKO

posted 03-15-2001 08:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for easya   Click Here to Email easya     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Since when do they make C.G. Admirals live in contaminated sites? If it's unsafe for us to visit, it must be hell for that poor admiral. Lol
-Joe

oseabee
WACKO

posted 03-15-2001 10:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like its contaminated by too much brass.Bill O'Brien oseabee

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-20-2001 02:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This has become a regular excuse for limiting access to Coast Guards LHs. Eatons Neck has been using absestos contaimination for more than two years.

SThompson
WACKO

posted 03-24-2001 09:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SThompson   Click Here to Email SThompson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My guess as to the true reason is that it would be a security issue for the Admiral's residence. This Admiral has a little more responsibility than most, he wears two hats, he is the District Commander for the 11th Coast Guard District (California) and the PACAREA Commander which in a nutshell puts the responsibility of U.S. interest in the Pacific Ocean on the Admirals agenda. The Coast Guard has a significant law enforcement stature on top of all the other things they do. Needless to say there are lots of Bad Guys out there that aren't real happy about what we do and the Admiral is the top of the Chain of Command in PACAREA. I hope this offers a better excuse than Lead, Mercury or Asbestos contamination, of course if you don't mind inhaling or ingesting these goodies then maybe security issues don't offer much of an explanation either. [tic]

DocJ44
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 01:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DocJ44   Click Here to Email DocJ44     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well...as expected I no luck with Yerba Buena, but I did get to the Point Reyes Light on Sat and Point Bonita Light on Sun. Both were extremely windy experiences to say the least!!! But the views were fantastic. I was treated to a couple bonuses too. I saw a humpback whale at Point Reyes and I arrived in time to get a ranger guided tour of Point Bonita. A sucessful lighthousing weekend after all.

Doc John

SThompson
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 01:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SThompson   Click Here to Email SThompson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like you had a great time John, I wonder if the whale got any snapshots of you for it's family photo album? {tic}

Barb Kepple
WACKO

posted 04-04-2001 08:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Barb Kepple   Click Here to Email Barb Kepple     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Glad that you got to see both of those lights, Doc John, wind notwithstanding!

Barb

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers