The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  CT & RI Lighthouse

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   CT & RI Lighthouse
wheland
WACKO

posted 11-06-2000 08:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Day 1 11-3-00
We made a trip up to CT and RI to visit my daughter and my brother-in-law and his family.

We had time to stop at several lights in CT on the way.

Our first stop was at Stratford.I used the Hoeckel book for my directions , mostly (supplememted by Delorme Street Atlas). they were very good . No problem finding any of the lights.

We got to Stratford ,and as i read in the book we went up to the house to ask permission to look around. Unfortunately, no one was home. According to the bok if you get lucky the resident Coast Guard personnell will allow you to climb the tower. It's not very tall, but it is a beauty. It's in a very nice setting also. I'll have pictures soon. There was a couple from outside Albany, NY there also. They were Heretics though,they prefered Lefton's to Harbour Lights- because they were cheaper. Nice people, anyway.

We left there and drove on to New Haven to get a look at Five Mile Light and Southwest Ledge (it's replacement). Five Mile Light is a near duplicate of Sandy Hook. the tower is almost exactly the same, but the lantern room is very different and has no light in it any longer. It's in a nice park (called Lighthouse Park) and you can see New Haven from it. There is a breakwatere that you can walk out about 700 yards to get a closer look at Southwest Ledge. You can walk right up to Five Mile Light (name indicates how far it is from the center of New Haven). It looks to be in fair condition. No big problems. The park was being decorated for a Christmas drive trhough tour. The Lighthouse had strings of lights attached to it.Might be nice for anyone in the CT area to take a drive thru in late Nov/ Dec. If so, don't forget the pictures.

We ran into the same couple there and talked a little more. We left there to continue on our way across CT.

Our next stop was to be Old Saybrook, but it was getting late and my sources were divided on access to the lights there. I was traveling with my wife, 85 year old mother-in-Law and her livi-in caregiver so I did not want to be on the road too long for her, so we skipped them for now.

We did stop at the New London Harbor light. It's hard to get a close look at it as the light is surrounded by houses and the keeper's house is a private home. We were able to park on the road and get a look at it from a short distance. You can also see New London Ledge from here. It's not the closest place to view it, but you can get a nice look at it from here. It was just about sunset, so I'm not sure how the pictures will come out. The light is also a partial copy of Sandy Hook and a near identical twin to the New Haven Five Mile Light

This particular spot actually had a light before Sandy Hook (1764), but the tower there now(1801) is not the original tower(1760).

We left there and went on to the hotel.

Day 2- 11-4-00

We drove over to the Avery Point Campus of the University of CT. We took a walk over to the Avery Point Memorial light. It is roped off and has signs warning of danger . They are definitely needed. The walls a re falling apart from the outside in. It is in great need of repair work. It's in a very nice setting, butit's in bad shape. You can see both New London Harbor Light (distance view) and New London Ledge ( closer, but still a distance view.) You can get a slightly better view from a small park just outside the campus ehich during the summer is open to only Groton , CT residents (the park at New Haven has similar restrictions- seems to be a recurring theme for CT lighthouses).

We left there and drove to Mystic, Ct and went to the Aquarium there. We did see the reproduction of the Brandt Point LH at Mystic Seaport form the Scenic Overlook jus tbefore the exit on I-95. No other lighthouse activity this day. spent the afternoon and evening with my brother-in-law and his family.

Day 3 11-5-00

We got on the road to Narragannsett, RI to visit my daughter and stopped on the way at Watch Hill, RI. Had to wake up the Security Guard to get permission to drive down to the lighthouse (only possible with a person over 65 or handicapped- my Mother-in-Law qualified). We drove right up to the lighthouse. You can see the light rotating in the lantern room. You can also see the Stonington LH from here. We walked around a bit, but it was too windy and cold for my mother-in-Law so we proceeded on our way to my Daughter's. We had plans to drive over to Newport and get a close view of Castle Hill at the least and a few other between Narragennnsett and Newport if possible.

Unfortunately it was not to be. My Mother-in-Law was feeling slightly under the weather so we stayed at my daughter's house (well the house she's living in with 4 other URI students) for the afternoon. No more lighthousing this day either. We all went back to the hotel and met with my brohter-in-law for dinner.

Day 4 11-6-00

Drove straight back. Personal weather conditions still not favorable for lighthousing. Better luck next time.

Dennis

RFoster
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 07:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis, I sure wish I knew you were in the area. It would have been nice to meet you and to show you some of the lights from different vantage points.

Yes, Avery Point Light is in desperate need of repair. It is in a beautiful setting and will make a wonderful centerpiece for the waterfront when she is fully restored.

As you mention, you are able to see New London Harbor and New London Ledge Lighthouses from here but you can also see Little Gull, Race Rock and North Dumpling Light. It is a wonderful spot.

Next time you are planning to come through CT please look me up and hopefully (weather permitting) we can do some lighthousing together.

"Keeping The Flame in New England"
Ron

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 11:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I guess I should have looked more carefully with my binoculars.

I did not realize that you could see them from there. the Kochel book does not state that. It looked to me that they were too far out to be seen.

I was unsure of how much time I would have to lighthouse on this trip. It was not high on the priorities with all of the participants.

Hopefully we can get together at some point. I'll be back in the area at some time in the future. I'll extend the same invitation to visit NJ and do a little lighthousing.

Avery Point may be in bad shape, but it still has a beauty about it.

Dennis

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 11-08-2000 10:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
No disrespect intended, Dennis, but this did make me chuckle a bit!

quote:
I was traveling with my wife, 85 year old mother-in-Law and her live-in caregiver

And this one reminds me that I.O. almost qualifies!

quote:
Had to wake up the Security Guard to get permission to drive down to the lighthouse (only possible with a person over 65 ...)

Thanks for sharing your trip!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 11-08-2000).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-08-2000 11:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mombo,

Believe it or not those two parts were the toughest to write.

I needed to put the trip into perspective without being too disrespectful to all involved.

The Security guard was a nice older man- he gave me a free map and two calendars that I can stick anywhere I want (as he told me). He was very nice about getting into the lighthouse.

Dennis

rscroope
WACKO

posted 11-09-2000 09:19 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oh, now we get the real story Dennis. You were using sound bites to make your trip more interesting! LOL Next time you should take the ferry to/from New London/Orient Pt and you'll pick up many more LHs(5-7 on a clear day) from the water. And a few more on land.
Bob

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-09-2000 06:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll have to try that route next time. It will be when only my wife is along.

Our total is up to 108 as of this last trip.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them back. I still use the old fashioned way.

Dennis

TD
WACKO

posted 11-09-2000 11:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis, you are one heck of a son-in-law! I did enjoy your recap of your trip. To bad you didn't get to Castle Hill, I got to see it at the last reunion. Very unique light.

DeDo
WACKO

posted 11-10-2000 08:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Dennis,

Got quite a chuckle reading about your adventure. I saw Five Mile light for the first time this past June. The family was on its way back home from the yearly Cape Cod trip. Now I've seen this light for years in the distance from I-95.

I'm driving so I decide to detour, no Kochels book with me. Finally get there to the park. Fee is $7 or $8. Kid at gate won't let us thru for pictures and we have two cars! Park one on a side street, pile into the other & park.

I had three angry guys in my family 'cause now we would be getting back on 95 in the height of Friday rush hour. But I got my pictures up close & personal. Glad to know about the breakwater for closer shots of SW Ledge, I got mine from the beach.

I guess it is trips like this that have burnt out my kids re lighthousing. So for the past two years they have stayed home when my husband & I have traveled to Maine & NC.

It really is a delicate balance, the lighthouses become the focus of anywhere I go, where the others prefer some variation. So we leave the kids out of it whenever possible.

Donna

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-10-2000 11:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Donna,

We were luckier. There are no fees or residency retrictions in November.

CT seems to have a thing for fees at the small parks near lighthouses, and to restrict them to residents only. I know of at least 4 in CT that have at least a partial ban on "Aliens".

I'm not sure which is worse- restricting access to just residents or not letting anyone near the lighthouse. I vote for universal access, but that has it'a own problems. Too many stupid people out there. It's the reason there are resrictions at a large number of privately owned lights.

I've been making an effort to not bore those around me with too much info about lighthouses, but I have found that if you don't give them too much info, they actually ask for it.

Dennis

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 11-13-2000 09:42 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Dennis, you think if I bring my birth certificate with me they would let me see some of the restricted lights? I'm originally from Bridgeport, CT.

KYKEEPER - Pat

wheland
WACKO

posted 11-13-2000 11:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here are some pictures. I have not finishd the other roll so I have no pictures available of Avery point area yet.

width="125" height="66" border="0">

I'll post them as soon as i get it developed.

Dennis

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers