The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  san juan islands

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   san juan islands
CarolZ
WACKO

posted 11-06-2000 06:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here I am in Seattle contemplating a trip to the San Juan Islands. Has anyone been there to see the lighthouses? Are they easily accessible? It looks like the ferry runs from Ascotes to Friday Harbor and a 3 lighthouses are on that one island. Let me know Thanks!

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 03:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Carol
Welcome to Seattle; I'm just 20 minutes to the north
Friday Harbor has Lime Kiln and Cattle Point which are both easily accessible; with a good pair of binoculars you can see Burrows from the ferry between Anacortes and Friday Harbor; have you made it to Mukilteo Lighthouse yet? if not email me and I will try to meet you and give you the grand tour. Enjoy your stay here in the great Pacific Northwest.
Darlene

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 05:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Carol,

I was just in the San Juan Islands the first week of October. Like Darlene posted, you can easily see Lime Kiln and Cattle Point if you stay in Friday Harbor. They are easy to locate and you can get up close for pictures. If you happen to go to Victoria, BC, go tour through Fisgard Lighthouse. It is in Fort Rodd state park and the lighthouse is open for touring.

CarolZ
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 11:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the tip. This is my second trip to Seattle. I have to come out here twice a year on business. Last time I did the world-wind tour...13 lighthouses in 3 days (including Mukilteo- that lighthouse was one of my favorites!!). This time I flew into Oregon and saw all 9 there and then drove into Washington. It loks like I may have Thursday free so I was thinking of taking the ferry over to Friday Harbor and drive around San Juan Island. I haven't seen Burrow Islands yet. I did go to Vancouver last year on business and was able to see quite a few lighthouses in B.C. including Fisgard. I'll let you know how I make out.

lmyhre
WACKO

posted 11-14-2000 11:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lmyhre   Click Here to Email lmyhre     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
While they're not technically in the San Juan Islands, you should consider visiting Admiralty Head Lighthouse on Whidbey Island and Point Wilson Lighthouse in Port Townsend. The ferry at Mukilteo takes you to Whidbey Island and then there is a ferry from Keystone (very near Admiralty Head Lighthouse) to Port Townsend. It's a great day trip starting and finishing from Seattle.

Larry

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers