The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Hillsboro and Jupiter Inlets.

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Hillsboro and Jupiter Inlets.
Weasel58
WACKO

posted 10-15-2000 07:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel58   Click Here to Email Weasel58     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hello Gang,
I just got back form a short trip over to Jupiter Inlet for the Florida Lighhouse Assciation meeting. And I wanted to share a couple of pictures I got from Hillsboro Inlet. We were lucky enough to get the Coast Guard to open the tower and grounds to us for 2 hours this morning. But what was really special was that they let anyone who wanted, to climb the light. I was one of the first people to get to the light itself. When I got to the top the Coast Guard member there said He shouldn't do this, but would allow 2 or 3 of us at a time to climb up into the lens area. We were strongly cautioned not to touch the delicate lens, but we could walk all the way around it. So for those of you who have ever wanted to climb this light here are a few photos.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/esharp/images/hills.jpg
Hillsboro Light from infront of the Keepers Cottage.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/esharp/images/hills2.jpg
Hillsboro Form the Beach
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/esharp/images/hillslens.jpg
Front of Second Order Bi-Valve Lens. Just restored to active duty August 18, 2000, after about 5 years of non-use.
http://home.tampabay.rr.com/esharp/images/hillslens2.jpg
Finally inside of the Second Order lens.

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 10-15-2000).]

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 10-15-2000 10:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great pictures, Weasel. Thanks for sharing. How was the climb up the tube, or is there some kind of stairway inside? Another example of the power of belonging to a group- you get more opportunities to do things like this.

Dave

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 10-15-2000 11:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the great pics Weasel, I really appreciate it. Those Coasties are pretty good guys, if I don't mind saying so myself!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 10-16-2000 12:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What a treat for you and for us to see your great pictures! That itty bitty bulb and that great big lens, just amazing. Thanks Weasel!

Weasel58
WACKO

posted 10-16-2000 12:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Weasel58   Click Here to Email Weasel58     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You Guys and Gals are welcome. I will post a couple more photos, tomorrow. I still have to sort through the Jupiter Pics to get a few good ones.
Yes Dave there is a stairway inside. A very tight stairway! But the watch room was very spacious, and it had a new floor. I wish I had taken a shot of the newly redone oak floor.

[This message has been edited by Weasel58 (edited 10-16-2000).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-16-2000 11:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Looks like you got a much closer view than we did a week ago.

Great pictures. Nice to see what we missed.

Dennis

rscroope
WACKO

posted 10-16-2000 03:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for sharing Weasel, boy am I jealous. I thought I got close by sneaking through a house to the beach across the canal.

Art
Cruise Director

posted 10-16-2000 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nice pics, Weasie. Glad you were able to get up close & personal with Zilla. Thanks for sharing with us.

Mombo, that "itty bitty bulb" is probably 5-6" long and 1,000w. (Maybe Sean can confirm). Those Fresnel lenses sure are amazing, though. I recall standing perhaps 15' away from a fourth-order lens powered by a mere 15w refrigerator lamp on display inside the Hereford Inlet lighthouse. You could actually feel the warmth of the beam as it scanned across your body at that distance.

I also noted the strength of the beam from another fourth-order lens at Mukilteo. This working light (not just a display) was powered by what appeared to be a standard halogen desk lamp bulb about 1-1/2 inches long. That little bulb threw a beam that I could see clearly 3 miles across Puget Sound in broad daylight. Fresnel's lenses are incredible devices.

------------------
-Art

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-16-2000 08:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Here's a photo of a 1,000 watt bulb in the hand of 'Keeper' Bob Hanford at Fort Gratiot.

And that bulb plugs into this beacon (actually a non-functioning duplicate of the one at the top of Fort Gratiot.) Once it passes through the reflector it generates 1,000,000 candlepower. Fort Gratiot's light has a green glass on the front giving it a rather unique color for lighthouses.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers