The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Long Island Lighthousing August 27-28, 2000

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Long Island Lighthousing August 27-28, 2000
JChidester
Saint

posted 08-28-2000 11:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Having a business meeting in Garden City NY on the 30th, I managed to arrive a few days early and hooked up with Bob Scroope (Long Island Bob). In fact he met me as my flight arrived at Islip airport holding up one of those signs with "Webmaster@HarbourLights.com" like he was a limo driver. And wearing a red baseball cap with what I found later was the "St. Johns" college logo.

Bob drove us out to Fire Island Lighthouse. He had called the lighthouse earlier to see if anyone could keep the lighthouse open after the usual closing time of 5 PM. That wasn't necessary, however, as they were having a special evening for the volunteers who work at the lighthouse.

Bob Scroope (left) talks with Bob LaRosa. In the background is the entry to the Fire Island lighthouse.

Meeting us there was Bob Muller (Wildbird). The three of us climbed the tower and got what I hope are some great photos from the top. Unfortunately during the climb up, I discovered that the battery in my camera went dead. Wildbird offered me his Nikon to shoot my photos with. This was his second visit to Fire Island in the day. He had led a pre-dawn climb to watch the sun rise from the top of the tower.

After picking up a new battery, Long Island Bob dropped me at the Holiday Inn Express near Stony Brook. Next morning at 8:00 AM, we started a blitz tour of the eight lighthouses in 11 hours!

Stop #1 - Old Field Point. Just after we pulled into the driveway, the Constable came out in uniform and hopped into his car and began pulling out while we were getting out of Bob's parked car. Bob mentioned Mike Seewald's name (worked like magic) introduced us and asked if it was OK to take photos - 'Absolutely' he said! And we had the run of the grounds.

Bob talks with the constable about viewing Old Field from the grounds.

Old Field Point Lighthouse

A closer fiew of the tower dated 1868. This building and tower are very much like several other New England lighthouses.

Stop #2 - Horton Point. It is open weekends and so we could not visit the gift shop or climb the tower. But the lighthouse is in a park and the grounds were open.

Stop #3 - Bob had called Merle Wiggins Sunday and made arrangements for us to see several North Fork lighthouses by boat. We met Merle at his office and had lunch. We then drove to the marina where Carol & Jim House made their charter fishing boat available for a 2 and a half hour tour that included close views of 4 more lighthouses.

Carol & Jim House aboard Coyote.

Lighthouse #3 - Long Beach Bar (Bug) Light. This unique lighthouse exists today because the community came together to restore it -- almost from the water line up. The original building had been burned by vandals. The replacement lighthouse was built on shore in three pieces that could be taken apart, and loaded on a barge, floated back out to the original foundation and restacked like Lego pieces. Quite an engineering feature. I'm sure it helped that Merle is a mechanical engineer by trade. He says much of the materials and labor to rebuild and set up the lighthouse were donated.

Lighthouse #5 - Plum Island - almost a 'twin' of Old Field (which also looks much like Great Captain's Island).

Plum Island Light sits very close to the bluff.

Lighthouse #6 - Cedar Island - (or Cedar Point?) This lighthouse was gutted by a fire many years ago and all the windows and doors have been sealed up with cindar blocks. The building itself appears to be constructed of large granite blocks. A very impressive lighthouse.

Lighthouse #7 - Orient Point (also known as "Coffee Pot Light". It's a caisson type lighthouse.

From the North Fork of Long Island we took two short car ferry rides and arrived near East Hampton. A relatively short drive took us to the 'end' of Long Island and...

Lighthouse #8 ...beautiful Montauk Point Lighthouse. This one we also climbed. We left the grounds at closing time (6:00) and stopped at the town of Montauk for a great lobster dinner enjoyed on a patio over-looking the water.

Wow! Thanks so much to Bob Scroope, Bob Muller, Merle Wiggins and Jim & Carol House for making this all possible for a guy from Arizona (the land of NO lighthouses) to view so many lighthouses in so short a time!

I've got about 8 rolls of film to get processed and I'll post the best here next weekend.

I'll add some more images later today.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 09-03-2000).]

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 08-28-2000 11:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like you had a great day, John! Isn't it great that we have made all these internet friends who are so willing to help each other enjoy our love of lighthouses. I'll be looking forward to your pics. I sure hope you got one of Bob with his limo driver get-up!

Dave

rscroope
WACKO

posted 08-29-2000 10:51 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'd also like to add to John's thank you list : (so many faces in so little time - 29 hours)
Bob LaRosa from Fire Island
Mike Seewald and the Constable at Old Field
Courtney and Isabelle at the East End Seaport Museum
for their behind the scenes help and hospitality.
- Bob

ps We kept looking for Art's $15 sandwich
but only found a $13 veal parmigian dinner, $12 blackened catfish and a $13.95 twin lobster culls. (lol. yes, yes - local knowledge)

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 08-29-2000).]

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 08-29-2000 04:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like you got the royal treatment John! Glad you got to see so many!

Nana
WACKO

posted 08-29-2000 09:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Speaking from personal experience, those Long Island lighthouse Wackos are the best when it comes to tours. Brings back fond memories of Mike Seewald last November.

So glad you had this wonderful world of HLs to bring all of you together in Long Island, John.

Keep that flame glowing,
Derith

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 08-29-2000 10:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John... sounds like you had a very full plate during this trip. I'm glad you had a wonderful time, and hope the photos turn out for you. We look forward to seeing them.

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

MrsTLC
WACKO

posted 08-30-2000 02:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for MrsTLC   Click Here to Email MrsTLC     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John it sure sounds like you are having a great time. Does it ever make you wish you lived on one of the coasts to be able to see those great type of lighthouses every day!
As you know we don't have too many lighthouses back here in Arizona. Us Zonies have to leave the state to see those wonderful sites.

Ruthie

Pam Baggett

posted 09-10-2000 10:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pam Baggett   Click Here to Email Pam Baggett     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow, what a trip. All the pictures! As Derith said it brought back fond memories of last year. Mike Seawald was the best guide, he took us just such a tour. We saw 7 light in one day! Mike must have a lot of clout at Old Field Point, he was able to get us in and climb it! Thanks to all our contact on Long Island.
Pam

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers