The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Jupiter, Hillboro Inlet, and Cape Florida

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Jupiter, Hillboro Inlet, and Cape Florida
rscroope
WACKO

posted 03-06-2000 11:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I found a new use for lighthousing this week. I was in Florida on a family emergency, and found the solace of the LH trip, a great way to put the reality of the day behind me for a few moments.

2/27/2000 – Stationed in Ft Lauderdale, I rose at 6:30 am for a trip to Jupiter Beach about an hour and 15 minutes north on 95. Get off at the Jupiter exit and follow that road east to the beach about 8 miles. You can turn left when you get to US1 or continue all the way east to the end then turn left (north) and go about a mile. Go over the bridge to Jupiter Lighthouse Park where there is a museum and tour at normal hours. Unluckily the LH is still being restored and the framework is still around it. When I got there I remembered someone had warned us about this on the Forum but it wouldn’t have made a difference. The fire engine red paint is now gone, and the natural red brick can be seen through the skeleton. Best pictures can be taken from the west side of the bridge on the dock at the Blue Pelican restaurant. You can get reflection on the water and an unobstructed view of the tower from this point.

2/29/2000 – 3pm break provided for a perfect short trip on A1A north from Oakland Park Blvd to Hillsboro Beach. As you approach the bridge in Hillsboro, look for a park on the right side. If you miss it you’ll take a road under the bridge and soon arrive back where you started. Good photos of the tower can be taken from the park but you’ll have to go exploring to get the best shots from the beach across the inlet. Take a left out of the parks parking lot, and travel along the southeast side of the inlet. As you turn the curve all the houses have beachfront property. I found a house under construction and asked the carpenters if they minded me cutting through to the beach. WOW! I found the mother load – the tower, keepers house, reflecting water, neat little boats, etc. I left MaryAnn in the car and she said when I returned that she was ready to send out a search party!

3/2/2000 – Another 6:30am trip special to Key Biscayne by way of Miami Beach to Cape Florida. Take 95 south about 40 minutes and I guess follow the signs for Key Biscayne and the Miami Seaquarium. I didn’t go this way but returned that way. Pay a dollar toll to go over the bridge and travel by tons of pleasure cruisers and sailboats, pass the Seaquarium, by very upscale houses, and you arrive at the entrance to an untouched South Florida park. Except for a paved road and limited parking, it must be the same way it was in the early 1900s with alterations provided by the hurricanes that travel through.

Pictures to follow in about 2 weeks!

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-07-2000).]

rscroope
WACKO

posted 03-07-2000 10:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Reports here, see above!

Art
Cruise Director

posted 03-07-2000 12:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks Bob. Looking forward to the photos. I hope that your family emergency has worked itself out and that all is OK now.

------------------
-Art

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 03-07-2000 12:16 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bob,
Thanks for sharing. Unfortunate that a family emergency took you to FL, but nice that you were able for find some peaceful time visiting the lights. Look forward to your pictures.

Dave

Nana
WACKO

posted 03-07-2000 05:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great lighthousing, BOB.

The tips you gave on photoing spots are tried and true. I did not see any signs saying I couldn't photograph beside the restaurant although my mother thought someone would come out and get me then she thought I had gone "Wacko" when I asked carpenters if I could go around back of a house under construction and take pictures of Hillsboro. This was several years ago and I am glad to see that building is still going on so that others, like YOU, have a chance to get great photos.

We will look for your photos.

Derith

rscroope
WACKO

posted 03-21-2000 09:29 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jupiter LH from the Dock at the Blue Herron Restaurant
The back

Hillsboro from Beach Across the Canal
The back

Hillsboro Lh from The Park
The back

Pelican View of Hillsboro LH
The back

Hillsboro through the Palms
The back

------------------
Long Island BOB

[This message has been edited by rscroope (edited 03-21-2000).]

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 03-21-2000 12:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK Bob....now I am really jealous. GREAT PHOTOS. Wish I were there right now! Thanks for sharing....and keep posting. For those of us that haven't had the opportunity of visiting many lights in person, your photos will eventually motivate us.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Art
Cruise Director

posted 03-21-2000 01:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I especially like that first shot of Hillsboro, Bob. Jupiter looks like something out of The Jetsons with all of that scaffolding. Heard a rumor ... are they really going to repaint it white??? 'Twould be a shame.

------------------
-Art

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 03-21-2000 07:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Apparently not, Art!
http://users.erols.com/lthouse/jitd.htm

Nana
WACKO

posted 03-21-2000 08:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great photos, Bob.
Derith

vsnlex
WACKO

posted 03-21-2000 08:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for vsnlex   Click Here to Email vsnlex     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mombo's links has another link found on the "take a tour" highlight that take you to:
Aerials Only photographs of lighthouses. The Jupiter ones are very nice and this is another great link to bookmark. thanks to all you detectives.

Art
Cruise Director

posted 03-22-2000 12:14 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks mombo,

You're a real blessing to have around for a busy and/or lazy person.

------------------
-Art

NiagaraLady
WACKO

posted 03-22-2000 08:24 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NiagaraLady   Click Here to Email NiagaraLady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great photos Bob(and fellow New Yorker) - thanks for sharing. Sunshine and palm trees - sure brightened my day! These are on our list for the next trip to Florida. Sorry about your family emerg.

DeDo
WACKO

posted 03-22-2000 10:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DeDo   Click Here to Email DeDo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about your emergency trip but at least there were some positive points. Like visiting and photographing some wonderful lighthouses! I enjoyed your pictures not every having visited any Florida lights. Hope all is well,

Donna

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 03-23-2000 06:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Bob

Sorry to hear about the family emergency! Hope all is well now.

Thanks for sharing your pictures. These three lights were the first that my wife and I actually went looking for. We saw Key West by chance on a tour on the conch train. Didn't get a chance to tour it and plan to return someday. When we got back to Fort Lauderdale we had 6 hours until our hotel room was ready so we decided to tour the area. After seeing many signs with lighthouse in them we decided there had to be a lighthouse nearby. We found Hillsboro. We stopped in at the shop on Pompano Pier and they told us about Jupiter. Bought the Florida Lighthouse book there which gave directions to Cape Florida. And as they say the rest is history.We even drove over to the gulf coast and saw Boca Grande, Gasparilla Rear Range and Sanible on that trip. 38 lighthouses later we found the Alcatraz Harbourlights on one trip and have been hooked ever since. Our goal is to see all of the west coast lights in the next three years and the rest of the Florida and east coast before I retire. I find the hunt for the lights both relaxing and exciting. Especially when you find one you can climb. Glad that you found solace in your trip. Again hope all is well.

Dale|:-{

rscroope
WACKO

posted 06-02-2000 10:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cape Florida through the Majestic Palms
The back

Cape Florida's Tall Tower Emerges from the Beach
The back

------------------
Long Island BOB

Art
Cruise Director

posted 06-02-2000 12:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Finally picked up that last roll at the photo processor, eh Bob? Nice shots. Thanks.

------------------
-Art

rscroope
WACKO

posted 06-02-2000 02:03 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks Art, I didn't want to be the one to say it! "finished is more accurate."
...But I guess you were following the trip and were to polite to ask where the heck they were? lol
Thanks for your interest.
- Bob

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-02-2000 09:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Worth the wait, Bob, thanks!

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers