The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Thumbnail Lighthouse Trip

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Thumbnail Lighthouse Trip
mombo
Cruise Director

posted 03-30-1999 11:53 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adding pictures

albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=39476&a=258352

Insignificant other and I embarked on "his" first lighthouse trip Monday. It was a beautiful sunny day so hope I got some good pictures. We went to see the lights at Sodus Point, New York. At the "old" lighthouse we talked with a local carpenter who was working on restoring the porch steps, railings. He told us that the front steps were to be relocated to the left of center and another set of steps were to be installed a the right side of the porch. He stated that these changes were requested by the Historical Society as they would replicate the original design. While the lighthouse didn't open until May 1st we enjoyed seeing it and were able to take pictures from all sides. The "new" light Sodus Outer Light is also visable from the grounds. We drove over closer to it but walking out to it on the end of its pier wasn't possible because of the wind. Hope again that my pictures are good with waves crashing into the pier. Sodus Point is very seasonable and just barely coming to life with the first spring fishermen. Stopping at a local eatery and being the only ones there gave us the opportunity to learn about the area from the owner. Going "out of season" has its advantages!

Eating out for breakfast and dinner also helped make it a great day!

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 06-10-99).]

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-10-1999 04:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Added pictures.

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 06-11-1999 12:00 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nice pics here, too! Now that you know how to do this we need to work on more timely posting!

Dave

Kaiz
WACKO

posted 06-11-1999 05:35 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Kaiz   Click Here to Email Kaiz     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sue,

Great pictures of both places. Still have to get to Sodus...not really that far from home.

Patty

p.s. You're welcome for photopoint...I don't remember how we stumbled on it but it has been very easy (and free) to use.

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 06-11-1999 11:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dave, speed is not my middle name!

Patty, Sodus should be open for visiting now, can't remember if it's just weekends but they have a website so you can probably find out there.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers