The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Map Room
  Icy Adventure

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Icy Adventure
Todd Shorkey
WACKO

posted 01-21-1999 12:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Shorkey   Click Here to Email Todd Shorkey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
While I can't really call this a travelog as I didn't leave my hometown, it was somewhat of an adventure.

As some of you may know from my previous posts, The Saginaw River Lightstation was built in 1839 and served as a USCG station from 1938 to the mid eighties. It was vacated when the USCG built a new station across the Saginaw River from the old lighthouse. Of course the light has long been extinguished.

This light is landlocked by Dow Chemical and is very difficult to get close photographs of it unless you have access to a boat, or an aircraft. (Just ask Rod Watson as he visited the light last summer)

(Enter the ice adventure) Wintertime, ice, access problem solved! I do not recommend the following unless you are very sure of the local conditions and understand the risks involved.

The Saginaw River up until a few years ago did not freeze do to contamination. Since then, the river is becoming cleaner, and we are getting better ice conditions. So, I decided to walk down the river to the lighthouse and get some photos. Armed with my camera and cell phone for safety, (in hindsight I guess a cell phone wouldn't work very well underwater) I set out across the ice. It is approx. a half mile walk which isn't too bad, until you run into deep slushy snow. At times, the snow was above my knees and the water on top of the ice, above my boots. Determined, I pushed on.

Reaching the lighthouse, It became clear just how neglected she had been over the years. Since the Coasties moved out, no maintainence has been done and the tower and quarters are beginning to fall into disrepair. Doing some research, it seems the light is now privately owned, but Dow is not allowing any access across their property, preventing the current owners from doing much in the way of upkeep.

I got some great shots, despite an overcast sky and cold, wet feet. I wanted to wait for a sunny day for my trek, but with all the recent warm weather and rain, ice conditions were deteriorating and I didn't want to take that big of risk.

If you have read this far, thank you for listining to my babble. I promise I won't make it a habit.

-Todd

[This message has been edited by Todd Shorkey (edited 01-21-99).]

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 01-21-1999 12:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Excellent job, Todd!!. Can't wait to see the photos. Later this winter when Lake Erie starts to freeze up a little I am going to try my hand at a similar trek to Fairport Harbor West Breakwater Light. I'll let you know how that one goes.

-RodW

Art
Cruise Director

posted 01-21-1999 01:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You're a braver soul than me, Todd! I wouldn't have attempted the slushy crossing, but I can't wait for the photos either.

RFoster
WACKO

posted 01-21-1999 07:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Being a fireman, Todd, you know firsthand the benefits that water has on saving lives (of the people in burning buildings). Now walking on water is a different story (unless you plan on changing professions). Glad that you made it ok and look forward to seeing your pictures.

Ron

JChidester
Saint

posted 01-27-1999 12:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd's great pictures of his icy adventure arrived by mail today and I've put them into a forum. Take a look - very nice work, Todd!

www.HarbourLights.com/galleries/index.htm

Then click on the first photo on the page. Otherwise you'll only see one of many great pictures

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 01-27-99).]

Polly
Cruise Director

posted 01-27-1999 02:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Polly   Click Here to Email Polly     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great photo Todd!

As I recall my brothers used to float down the river on ice chunks in spring. Will you be doing the same and posting a video clip?

rscroope
WACKO

posted 01-27-1999 07:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great story, terrific pictures ,Todd.

Todd Shorkey
WACKO

posted 01-27-1999 11:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Shorkey   Click Here to Email Todd Shorkey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Floating downriver with video.... there's an idea.

If I would have been thinking, I would have borrowed one of our Mustang Cold Water Survival suits from my F.D., a "Gumby" suit as we call them.

As of 1-26-99, most of the river is now wide open due to copious rain and warm temps. I am glad I made my trip when I did. Thank you all for the kind words about the story and the photos, and a special thank you to John, for posting them.

-Todd

Art
Cruise Director

posted 01-27-1999 01:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super pix, Todd! We're sure glad that you and your camera made it back to shore!

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 01-17-2000 02:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just saving a few "oldy but goody" threads from the eventual wrecking ball.

Todd Shorkey
WACKO

posted 01-17-2000 04:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Shorkey   Click Here to Email Todd Shorkey     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just about enough ice back on the river to try it again this year. I hope to be making my trek in the next few weeks. I am hoping for sunshine this year. The gloom last year was nice, but I want something brighter this time.

Thanks for saving this thread from obscurity Rod!

-Todd

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers