The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Rumor Mill
  Multiple GOLD for 2002 Regional Events

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Multiple GOLD for 2002 Regional Events
RFoster
Cruise Director

posted 10-28-2001 01:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill was asked about the regional event pieces for next year. I thought that I overheard someone (BILL???) at the Northeast Regional slip and say there would be 4 different Gold Harbour Lights pieces made for next years regional events and that one of them would be Portland Head?

If next year's Gold-Giveaways follows this years tradition of the Cape St. George then I would conjecture that we can expect a new rendition of Portland Head as a release next year. Who knows, maybe it will be a winter piece with snow and a sleigh.

If there are multiple Gold-Giveaways then what will the others be of?

Ron
(CT Keeper)

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-28-2001 02:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good question, Ron! One of the great things about Harbour Lights is their element of surprise that keeps the collecting faithful speculating and anticipating the next HL step. Don't you just love it...

Bob

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 10-28-2001 10:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Original Boston Harbor, SE Block, Portland Head and Barnegat Glows will return as Golden Oldies?

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-29-2001 05:38 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Glows??? I would think HL would use the limited edition models rather than the GLOWs. The lights you mention would certainly be great candidates for such a special piece.

Bob

CarolZ
WACKO

posted 10-30-2001 08:13 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There are 4 different regionals each year, right? Maybe HL will do a piece from each of the 4 regions? Wouldn't that be nice!

TheLightkeeper
WACKO

posted 10-30-2001 10:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheLightkeeper   Click Here to Email TheLightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
They would have to be GLOWS if the original molds have been destroyed.
Anyway they could be called:
"The Golden GLOW Awards"

The Lightkeeper
Mike

FrankB
WACKO

posted 10-30-2001 11:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for FrankB   Click Here to Email FrankB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Does this mean we have confirmation that the Regional Events (vs. in-store BY appearances) will still be in effect?

FrankB

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-30-2001 01:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yes, there will be regional events in 2002 for Harbour Lights. That's the only thing I know for sure. Don't know if one Regional Event piece or different ones for different events (seems unlikely to me.) Or where or when.

Look for news in the next Legacy.

oseabee
Cruise Director

posted 10-30-2001 05:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
For myself the gold does no good and I would either give it away or raffle it off.I would rather see a different light done right.

Randy Kremer
WACKO

posted 10-30-2001 10:04 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill, I would gladly take yours if you ever win one to give away! If I had to sell my collection for some tragic reason, my "gold" or my wife's "silver" would never be for sale!

CarolZ
WACKO

posted 11-20-2001 12:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I noticed on one of the forums that there will be 4 different regional pieces next year. The same lighthouse but during 4 different seasons. I noticed our northeast even piece is covered with snow.
What an incentive to try to make it to all 4!!

Cana Fan
WACKO

posted 11-20-2001 01:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cana Fan   Click Here to Email Cana Fan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would have rather seen 4 different lighthouses that 4 versions of the same light. Too much money and takes up too much room to have 4 of the same light. This one doesn't do anything for me.

Mike

oseabee
Cruise Director

posted 11-20-2001 04:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bill did say in Tampa someting about just dropping into dealers and signing a bunch of pieces instead of the regular in store signings this way he could visit more dealers and he talked about nancy making more visits next year. that is with her ok.Bill O'Brien

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 11-20-2001 09:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I have to agree with Mike, I too would rather see 4 different lights one from each region istead of four of the same in different seasons.

|8-{ )
Dale

RFoster
Cruise Director

posted 11-20-2001 09:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
How about 4 different lights (one from each region) but have each light represent a particular season? West Coast - Spring; Southeast - Summer; Northeast - Fall; Great Lakes - Winter.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

JTimothyA
Saint

posted 11-20-2001 11:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JTimothyA   Click Here to Email JTimothyA     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
And gold seems to go well with all seasons. :-)

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 11-20-2001 11:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Latest Legacy states:
2002 event piece will be Fort Tomkins Lighthouse, NY
SPRING version available exclusively for the Berkeley Heights, NJ event on April 6, 2002
SUMMER version for June event in Rosemont
FALL version for West Coast event in September
WINTER version for the Southeast event in November

Cana Fan
WACKO

posted 11-21-2001 08:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cana Fan   Click Here to Email Cana Fan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Right on, Ron!

cavevader
WACKO

posted 11-21-2001 12:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for cavevader   Click Here to Email cavevader     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OK, so now that we know what is going on with the regional piece(s), how is one suppose to collect all 4 if he/she wishes to collect the 4 versions and has enough room in their display case(s)?

Would the collector be expected to travel around the country to each of the regional events in order to complete the set?

I find this troubling as my favorite season is Autumn and that the Fall version associated with the West Coast regional event is quite a drive from Virginia.

Does any one know if they will be available at participating dealers within the regional area of that particular event so that non-local HL collectors are able to call and purchase a particular version?

Christopher

CarolZ
WACKO

posted 11-21-2001 12:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for CarolZ   Click Here to Email CarolZ     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Can you purchase more than one? Maybe we can have a swap meet at the end of the year.

Cana Fan
WACKO

posted 11-21-2001 01:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cana Fan   Click Here to Email Cana Fan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Christopher, I'm sure it will be just like other Regional's in that you will be able to order from the dealers around where each Regional is held. Like the Fall version will be available from dealers on the West Coast and so forth.

Mike

engbrady
Saint

posted 11-21-2001 02:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The following is taken verbatim from the Legacy (just out) about this year's Regional Event Lighthouse….
quote:

Four Regional Pieces,
One for Each season!

Our Spring Regional Event in 2002 is set,
So mark your calendars now:

Date: Saturday, April 6, 2002
Time: 1-3pm
Place: Mount Carmel Hall 56 River Road
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey 07922

Each of the four Regional Events in 2002 will feature their own exclusive rendition of Fort Tomkins Lighthouse, New York. The Northeast Regional Event features Fort Tomkins in the Spring. Then don't miss your chance to order the completely different Summer, Fall and Winter versions of this unique lighthouse from Participating Dealers in each of the regions. Look for a list of Participating Dealers on the website and in the next Legacy Newsletter.

Basically you will be able to buy each different version of the Fort Tomkins Lighthouse from a different group of dealers for each different Regional either from their store in person or by mail...

Paul L Brady (WackoPaul)

tarbaby
WACKO

posted 11-21-2001 05:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tarbaby   Click Here to Email tarbaby     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Has anyone heard a price on the Fort Tomkins ?

terry

RFoster
Cruise Director

posted 11-21-2001 08:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Retail X 4 !!!!!

Ron

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 11-21-2001 10:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I asked the price on the chat tonight, was told it would be $59.

engbrady
Saint

posted 11-21-2001 10:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Spring Version of the Tomkins Lighthouse, NY Regional Lighthouse

AZlightkeeper

posted 11-21-2001 11:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for AZlightkeeper   Click Here to Email AZlightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm with Mike, four of the same light is alot of money and room. Are we going to get a preview of all four so that we may order our favorite?

SThompson
Saint

posted 11-21-2001 11:34 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for SThompson   Click Here to Email SThompson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'm with you Mike. 4 of the same Lighthouse in different seasons? This ain't Hatteras and it ain't Portland Head, other than a local, what's the attraction of owning 4. As a collector who is committed to owning all the Limited Editions, I don't appreciate this marketing tactic! Harbour Lights are you trying to drive away your gravy collectors or what? Moneys tight if they haven't noticed, It's not hard to say no. In two years I could have 8 versions of 2 Lighthouses. Yuck! I'm board already with all the versions of Hatteras.

Thumbs down to this idea.

I give them the benefit of the doubt until I read about the Regionals for myself.

flacoastie
WACKO

posted 11-22-2001 09:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for flacoastie   Click Here to Email flacoastie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ditto for me. Even with the price as low as it is ($59.00?), who wants 4 versions of the same lighthouse. If HL starts doing this I will have a curio full of the same lighthouses. I'm also committed to buying all of the limited editions but now this is starting to get both insane and expensive, not to mention the fact that space in my existing curios will be eaten up by a variation of the same piece.

I sure hope that this isn't HL way of decreasing their ammount of yearly issues but still making their company profit. This could be another way of still putting out the number of lighthouses each year while they are developing their new historic buildings. I for one am very unhappy with this concept and wonder why, if they planned on doing this they didn't ask their collectors first about this concept. And, if they wanted a separate lighthouse for each Regional, why didn't they make four different sculptures, one from each region?

I do hope they at least have the business sense to show a picture of all 4 lighthouse so that a person can decide which version they want, if they only want to buy one lighthouse.

Rich

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 11-22-2001 09:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Before I started collecting (12/98) there was one small event piece for $25-30. Then the small piece became a large piece. Last year there were 2 pieces. And now there are 5. I'd much prefer HL went back to the one piece or at least no more than two. And yes I'd also like to see all of the versions of the Fort Tompkins light in advance of ordering.

TheLightkeeper
WACKO

posted 11-22-2001 10:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TheLightkeeper   Click Here to Email TheLightkeeper     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I agree Sue.

The Lightkeeper
Mike

KEWEENAW

posted 11-23-2001 08:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for KEWEENAW   Click Here to Email KEWEENAW     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'M NOT REALLY FOND OF THE IDEA OF FOUR VERSIONS OF THE SAME LIGHT, EITHER. HOWEVER, I REALLY LIKE THE IDEA OF FOUR DIFFERENT LIGHTS, ONE FROM EACH REGION. WHILE I'M ON THE SUBJECT, WOULD ANYONE ELSE LIKE TO SEE THESE PIECES NUMBERED, OR IS IT JUST ME?

flacoastie
WACKO

posted 11-23-2001 06:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for flacoastie   Click Here to Email flacoastie     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I've always preferred to have numbered pieces. It sorta keeps everything in prespective and neat. It lets you know where you stand in the grand scheme of life.

Rich

Daniel
WACKO

posted 11-23-2001 11:02 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Daniel   Click Here to Email Daniel     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like the number idea;
AND,
All us Forum members should have the low numbers reserved for us, starting with the longest on the forum getting the lowest number.
John you would get that number one.

Daniel

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-23-2001 11:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Then, what the Heck! I'm all in favor of numbering them!!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-24-2001 06:18 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I like your way of thinking! (lol)

Bob

Gary Toth
WACKO

posted 11-24-2001 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gary Toth   Click Here to Email Gary Toth     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I also agree with Sue's comment. Four different event pieces may be a good idea whose time has not yet come. It's difficult enough trying to figure out what to do with one of each, much less multiples. And those of us who collect variations, well.... My worst nightmare would be a mold change followed by a painting variation on a four piece event release. Sounds like a whole shelf!

JoanieO
WACKO

posted 11-24-2001 04:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoanieO     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
If Harbour Lights does produce 4 different editions of Ft. Tomkins to represent the different seasons, I agree that I would like to see a picture of them in order to decide which season I would like to purchase. I definitely cannot afford all four. (Now, if there were 4 different lighthouses, that might be another story.....)
JoanieO

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-26-2001 06:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow - that was fast:

Here's the 'without' photo for comparison:

You will be able to see all four versions before you need to order any one of them. Perhaps in a couple of weeks.

[This message has been edited by JChidester (edited 11-26-2001).]

tarbaby
WACKO

posted 11-26-2001 06:59 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for tarbaby   Click Here to Email tarbaby     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yes,much better with the railings. Thanks JC.

terry

RFoster
Cruise Director

posted 11-26-2001 09:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There seems to be color variations. The gizmo on the front porch looks reddish in the one without the rail, while the gizmo on the one with the rail looks more brown.

Also the posts for the clothsline appear to be different. Is this due to lighting or the fact that one was an earlier version?

Ron
(CT Keeper)

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 11-26-2001).]

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-26-2001 09:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ron - yes.

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 11-26-2001 09:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The gate is opened up more on the lower shot, and the gray pants are hanging a little differently. LOL.

Chesapeake Bryan
Cruise Director

posted 11-26-2001 10:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Chesapeake Bryan   Click Here to Email Chesapeake Bryan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks John. I would have to say that the railings really do add a nice touch to the piece.

cavevader
WACKO

posted 11-28-2001 10:22 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for cavevader   Click Here to Email cavevader     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

With the railings....which I luv, this piece could go either way...the Munsters or the Adams Family!

Yup...Definitely the Fall version with the railings.

Christopher

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers