The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Baltimore 2001 Reunion
  Eddystone Begins

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Eddystone Begins
Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 03-06-2001 06:43 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Step 1....Sky colors are blended

Step 2....Clouds are added (4 colors blended to get desired result)

Step 3....Rough sketch of lighthouse is laid out, ready to add colors.

Step 4.... The construction begins!

The colors of these photos are terrible. Couldn't get the camera to cooperate at all tonight. The colors in the real painting are very nice, 3 shades of blue, creams and whites and the sketch is a nice shade of graphite!

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 03-07-2001).]

JChidester
Saint

posted 03-06-2001 07:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve - I moved the thread here to the Collectors Reunion 2001 Forum.

Nana
Cruise Director

posted 03-06-2001 09:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Looks like a great beginning to me. The first one reminds me of some finger painting canvases I did years ago. But, the second one left me out in the cold....couldn't do that if I tried and by the third one I was envious that you just move your pencil around the canvas and create such nice work. How long will it be before we see the finished product?
Derith

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 03-07-2001 08:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Oh the talent before us, you are GOOD!
Love seeing the beginning of what will be a wonderful gift. Thanks for sharing.

KYKEEPER - Pat

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-07-2001 08:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This is great Steve! I've never painted, and this will be like I'm doing one. Very Interesting. I look forward to the updates.
- Bob

Joanne
WACKO

posted 03-07-2001 09:02 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
It's fascinating to see how it develops from canvas to art. I know that artists have many different techniques so it's nice to see how you work.

It looks like it's going to be spectacular, as are all the others.

Joanne

Barb Kepple
WACKO

posted 03-07-2001 10:25 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Barb Kepple   Click Here to Email Barb Kepple     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Thanks for the step by step, Steve - it's really interesting to see how a painting progresses.

Barb

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 03-13-2001 05:57 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sorry for the delay everyone. Computer picked up a virus last weekend that had to be attended to over the weekend and then I also picked up a virus that has kept me in bed the last 3 days. Feeling better now and hopefully I will get back to painting in the next day or two as soon as the room quits spinning.

JoAnn
WACKO

posted 03-13-2001 07:11 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JoAnn   Click Here to Email JoAnn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Take care Steve,don't push yourself.GetWell!
We all appreciate your beautiful work!
JoAnn -Astoria

RFoster
WACKO

posted 03-13-2001 11:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RFoster   Click Here to Email RFoster     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This is a great thread and so fascinating to see the painting evolve. I hope that you are feeling better Steve. All the best and thanks so much for sharing this with all of us.

"Keeping The Flame Alive"
Ron

Walt Mills
Registered Member

posted 03-16-2001 11:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Walt Mills   Click Here to Email Walt Mills     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve, it's great viewing the progress, it is like being there with you. Thank you for sharing your exceptional talent.

------------------

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 03-23-2001 03:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The strike finally ended and construction has resumed at Eddystone. Here's the continuing progress.

Step 5.... The Gallery, Iron Bands, Bedchamber window, State Room window and stone tablets are added. The workers also finally realized work would be easier if they finally installed that ground level doorway.

Step 6.... The Open gallery, Kitchen and Hexagonal Bedchamber are completed.

Step 7.... The 15' high "Lanthorn", Lightning rod, chimney and railings are installed. Also you will notice the giant wooden ornamental candlesticks (on actual lighthouse but not on sculpture) are added.

Step 8.... Weathervane, Signal Gallery and cranes are completed. I used actual "gold leaf" paint on the Lightning rod/weathervane, 8-point stars and window dressings and metallic paint on the open gallery wheels and hoists for added impact.

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 03-23-2001).]

Nana
Cruise Director

posted 03-23-2001 04:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mighty Fine, Mighty Fine!!

The finished product will have so much more meaning to me since I have been able to see the work as the painting progressed. Thanks Steve.

Derith

MrsTLC
WACKO

posted 03-23-2001 05:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for MrsTLC   Click Here to Email MrsTLC     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve...it looks great!! It is even more fun watching it progress. Thanks for doing this.

Ruthie

Barb Kepple
WACKO

posted 03-23-2001 09:38 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Barb Kepple   Click Here to Email Barb Kepple     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

You're giving us all a course in painting, Steve, and it's great! I love seeing it develop - thanks!

Barb

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 03-26-2001 08:50 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wonderful progress....you are sooooooo goooood Thanks for letting us watch the process.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 03-29-2001 07:26 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Step 9.... Work begins on the 17th Century Ship-Of-The-Line that will be sailing past Eddystone.

Step 10.... Basic sail details and rigging are added as ship nears completion. Finishing touches will be added later.

Step 11.... To add depth to the painting, a 2nd ship appears passing in the distance. Started work on the trees and dunes of the shoreline.

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-29-2001 08:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wow Steve, especially Step 10 to 11. This one goin' to be a KEEPER!

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 03-29-2001 12:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve...I just can't wait to meet you in person and shake the hand of such an extremely talented individual. Each phase is so wonderful! I love it!

KYKEEPER - Pat

Art
Cruise Director

posted 03-29-2001 02:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You are amazing, Digger. Keep it coming. How 'bout a shot of the entire canvas now so we can see the 'big picture'in it's present state? Thanks!

------------------
-Art

Iris1
Registered Member

posted 03-30-2001 01:06 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iris1   Click Here to Email Iris1     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Truly awesome. Digger, you has amazing talent. Thank you so much for sharing the step by step process.....makes me feel so much more involved with it!!

Thanks again,

Iris

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 06:45 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Step 12.... Ship is completed, water and shoreline are added. Also note the flag has been raised and H. Winstanley has taken position on the observation gallery.

Step 13.... Final touches to the tower. Engravings are added to stone tablets, supply boat, workers, seagulls.

Step 14.... The Final paint stoke.

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 06:53 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Step 15.... Now all that is needed is to find a place for the shovel! A gravedigger's job is never done...

FINISHED! Here's the final result, your painting is complete.

[This message has been edited by Gravedigger (edited 04-02-2001).]

Randy Kremer
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 08:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BEAUTIFUL JOB DIGGER! What a talent you have!

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 04-02-2001 08:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Another Wow, Steve! How long did it take you to clean that shovel before you held it over your painting? LOL
- Bob

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 08:49 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beautiful! Thanks Digger for all your time and talent. The Youngers will love it.

KYKEEPER - Pat

JChidester
Saint

posted 04-02-2001 09:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What a talent you have, Steve!!!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us all and for showing us the step-by-step progress on this very special painting.

Looking forward to meeting you for the first time in Chicago!

Joanne
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 01:01 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Truly magnificent!

It was really nice to see the progression of the painting and to see Digger with his masterpiece.

Joanne

Nana
Cruise Director

posted 04-02-2001 03:30 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Nana   Click Here to Email Nana     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for letting us look over your shoulder as you created this gift of love. After hearing Bill talk so affectionately about this piece, at the FL Regional, I know he and Nancy will be overwhelmed with this gift.

See you in Chicago Steve....

Derith

[This message has been edited by Nana (edited 04-02-2001).]

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 03:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
You're painting is awesome Digger! I am jealous that I can't be in Chicago when you present it to the Younger's. Thanks for sharing your talents with the forum collectors to be a part of the process. I can't wait to receive my copy to display.

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 04:19 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lorie, the painting will presented in Baltimore. Not sure what night though.

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 07:17 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thanks for the clarification on the presentation to the Younger's. For some reason I thought all your paintings were going to be unveiled at the Chicago event. I will for sure be in Baltimore for the reunion.

Barb Kepple
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 08:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Barb Kepple   Click Here to Email Barb Kepple     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Absolutely awesome, Digger! Nice to see you too!

Barb

Chesapeake Bryan
WACKO

posted 04-02-2001 09:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Chesapeake Bryan   Click Here to Email Chesapeake Bryan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great job Digger!

oseabee
Cruise Director

posted 04-02-2001 09:58 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Digger your talent is amazing to me you made eddystone look even better than the HL piece and the galleon sailing by is a real putting the frosting on the cake.that really makes the picture.Bill O'Brien oseabee

Medicman
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 08:12 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Medicman   Click Here to Email Medicman     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
what can I say but...... WOW! Glad I'll be in Baltimore for the show and glad I'm getting a copy of it too..

Rrronne
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 09:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rrronne   Click Here to Email Rrronne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Digger,
Absolutely amazing.

JCRice
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 10:09 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JCRice   Click Here to Email JCRice     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Absolutely AMAZING !!!

JChidester
Saint

posted 04-03-2001 10:56 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just a reminder - you can own a copy of Digger's beautiful painting of Eddystone by making a contribution of $20 towards this gift from Forum users (and viewers).

http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum13/HTML/000067.html

Lonnie Davidson
WACKO

posted 04-03-2001 09:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lonnie Davidson   Click Here to Email Lonnie Davidson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
WOW

Iris1
Registered Member

posted 04-06-2001 07:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iris1   Click Here to Email Iris1     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Absolutely ....WOW!! Beautiful job Digger. Such talent! Thank you for letting us watch the masterpiece unfold. Can't wait for Baltimore ... I know Bill & Nancy will love it.

I am just tickled to death that I will get to have a print of this as well.

Just awesome!

Iris

Walt Mills
Registered Member

posted 04-07-2001 02:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Walt Mills   Click Here to Email Walt Mills     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Absolutely incredible work

Walt

lightbear
WACKO

posted 04-07-2001 08:45 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for lightbear   Click Here to Email lightbear     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Like everyone else, I'm very impressed by your painting and will look forward to receiving the print. Thanks, Digger, for giving all of us the chance to watch it unfold. It'll be fun to watch Bill & Nancy receive it, too!

Marilyn

Joanne
WACKO

posted 10-15-2001 12:41 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Is there a posting somewhere as to the presenting of the painting to the Youngers?

Joanne

JChidester
Saint

posted 10-15-2001 03:13 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There will be soon, Joanne.

Also The mailing of the prints to those who supported this project should happen this week. Right, Paul?

engbrady
Saint

posted 10-15-2001 03:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for engbrady   Click Here to Email engbrady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Yep!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-15-2001 09:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This may be a great week for me. I just received the Lightships Columbia and the Portsmouth, plus the HL Christmas ornies for 2001 and 2000. I'm expecting my four HSRE in a couple of weeks, plus I should receive my HL Reunion sweater and shirt that I ordered. Now I should be getting my Eddystone print soon! This makes me look forward to receiving mail.

Bob

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Harbour Lights Web Site

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers