The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers.
The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The Baltimore 2001 Reunion
  Christmas in October!

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Christmas in October!
Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 02-24-2001 11:16 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Some while ago, Rod Watson floated an idea for a gift exchange among connected collectors. It was posted not long before Christmas, and nothing happened that year. This past year the idea was not resurfaced. For the past several months I have harboured an idea for an ice-breaking activity for the Reunion based on this concept. A chance to get to know in person others we only know from the internet, to renew old friendships, make new friends, and to have some lighthouse fun. What I am proposing is Christmas in October.

What I was thinking was that we have a little get-together prior to the reunion, probably Tuesday evening. Many will arrive Tuesday, to go on John's bus-capade on Wednesday. The bus trip would eliminate Wednesday evening, as John will have us on the road well past our bed-time. Thursday evening the reunion will be underway. The intended audience is the Connected Collector, but hopefully we will also see some collectors who are not part of our internet family.

Here are the basic ideas, using as a basis how our agency does its' gift exchange at our Christmas dinner. They can be modified or improved upon.

• Anyone can participate
• Each participant will bring a wrapped gift with a value of around $10
• If you want to participate more than once, you simply bring more than one gift (do we need to have a limit?)
• Gifts should be lighthouse related, but not Harbour Lights
• All the gifts are placed in one place
• Each participant draws a number to determine the "picking order"
• Low number starts by choosing any gift based on whatever criteria they may have. How well can you "disguise" what is in your package?
• Person opens gift and lets everyone see what they received. Don't get real attached to this gift.
• Next person chooses. They may choose a new gift, or take away a gift previously picked by another. (If this happens, the person who lost their gift gets to pick again - either new or take-away, but can't take away the gift they just lost.)
• The third person to possess a gift gets to keep it. After 2 "take-aways" the gift is retired and out of play.
• Repeat until done

What do you think?

Santa Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 02-24-2001).]

oseabee
WACKO

posted 02-24-2001 02:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for oseabee   Click Here to Email oseabee     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This sounds like it could be a great get together and a way to meet others but dont forget we get an early start Wednesday AM. Bill O'Brien oseabee

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 02-24-2001 02:51 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Won't be arriving until Thursday afternoon and leaving Sunday afternoon, Dave. But it's a nice idea for whenever it might be done.

[This message has been edited by mombo (edited 02-26-2001).]

LADYBUG
WACKO

posted 02-24-2001 09:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for LADYBUG   Click Here to Email LADYBUG     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We will be arriving on Thursday also; any thoughts to doing one Sunday night for those of us who are staying over instead of arriving early? Darlene

GAIL
WACKO

posted 02-24-2001 09:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GAIL   Click Here to Email GAIL     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I would love it! I will be coming in on Mon most likely. If you get it off the ground, just let me know when & where?

TGIFIF

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 02-25-2001 07:43 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Definitely a nice thought, but we will be arriving on Thursday, and from my recollection of the last Reunion, we will all have a very busy Harbour Lights schedule to follow.

Sounds great for those who are participating in the bus tours prior to the official start of the reunion!

Bob

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 02-26-2001 09:48 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like a great idea Dave . You can count on Hunt and I attending.
Thanks for suggesting a fun way to get us WACKO'S to interact.

KYKEEPER - Pat

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 02-26-2001 12:47 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds like a neat gathering. We just haven't decided on our plans yet. At this moment we are planning on arriving Thur morning but we are seriously thinking about making a full week of it. Of course we don't know of room availability at the alternate hotel(s) or seats on the tours at this point. May be full-up. Would we need to rent a car or are all activities within walking distance from the alternate hotel if we decided to come on Mon.? Help us make-up our minds!

Suzanne Murphy
WACKO

posted 03-03-2001 10:44 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Suzanne Murphy   Click Here to Email Suzanne Murphy     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I plan on arriving on Tuesday. Let me know if we have some kind of connected collector get-together.

Suzanne

Gravedigger
WACKO

posted 03-03-2001 05:36 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Gravedigger   Click Here to Email Gravedigger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in!!! Arriving sometime Tues. Looks like we are staying at the Marriott on Tues and Wed nights. Registered for the NJ bus tour also. John, can I bring my shovel?

bright eyes
WACKO

posted 03-03-2001 09:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for bright eyes   Click Here to Email bright eyes     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We are thinking about flying in Sunday/Monday..anyone arriving either of those days?

JChidester
Saint

posted 03-03-2001 10:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I'll probably arrive Monday

Digger - no shovels, but feel free to bring brushes, paints & easel.

0 :>)

Dave H
Cruise Director

posted 03-04-2001 10:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Dave H   Click Here to Email Dave H     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sounds as if there is some interest in this idea, but not for ahead of time. I had made that suggestion to avoid any conflict with what HL has scheduled. I have spoken with Maureen at HL, and she has offered to assist with a room to use Thursday after the opening events. This would be around 10 to 10:30 PM Thursday evening. Late, but not that late for a reunion.

Sean has noted that unless we arrange a specific Wacko gathering we may not happen to meet each other during this weekend. I would be disappointed to have missed the opportunity to meet my fellow forumites face-to-face.

Is there interest? Do we want to just make it a gathering, or do you want to have some additional fun and try some kind of gift exchange?

Dave

[This message has been edited by Dave H (edited 03-04-2001).]

GAIL
WACKO

posted 03-04-2001 10:26 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GAIL   Click Here to Email GAIL     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I will also be arriving on Sun or Mon also. Do ya'll that have said you are arriving have plans for these days yet?
I think a gift exchange would be great!

TGIFIF

Iris1
Registered Member

posted 03-07-2001 11:48 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Iris1   Click Here to Email Iris1     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My friend Sue and I are arriving Tues late afternoon. We'd love to meet as well as have the gift exchange ...either Tues eve or Thurs eve, either one is fine!

Can't wait, I know it will be lots of fun.

Iris

Pat PalmerBall
WACKO

posted 03-08-2001 08:40 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pat PalmerBall   Click Here to Email Pat PalmerBall     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunt and I will be arriving on Sunday late. Planning on 2 days of DC sightseeing. We spent our Honeymoon there 32 years ago so I thought I would plan a little time revisiting some of the favorite sights.
I think the idea of gathering all the WACKOs together would be wonderful. Tuesday evening or Thursday would work fine for Hunt and I. After all who needs sleep, you can do that after the reunion is over. And Dave the gift exchange idea is a good one, count us in.

KYKEEPER - Pat

SThompson
WACKO

posted 03-08-2001 09:25 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for SThompson   Click Here to Email SThompson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I think the meet is a must. We are all going to be tired from traveling and limited to luggage space. IMHO I recommend that we keep it simple. I would hate to lose one second of face to face chit chat. We never know everytime we go whether this is the last Reunion or not. 10PM sounds ok to me if we can't get in earlier. It would be just like a regular Thursday nite Chat. I'm game for what ever is decided, as long as I am in town of course.

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 03-08-2001 10:30 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Count me in for Thursday. I probably be staying in Glen Burnie until Thursday, and driving in to park and bus for the lh tours.

Lorie Roe
WACKO

posted 03-08-2001 05:18 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Lorie Roe   Click Here to Email Lorie Roe     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thursday night is fine for me. I will go along with what works best for the majority of people. I do have a time advantage coming from mountain time. Starting at 10:00pm will only feel like 8:00pm. I will participate in a gift exchange if that's what we all decide to do.

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 03-08-2001 07:29 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gifts could be optional. If you bring one, you get one. If you don't, you don't. Personally I would rather spend the time meeting the other Wackos than messing around with a gift. The opportunity to meet them is gift enough for me!

Rich Kirkpatrick
Registered Member

posted 03-17-2001 01:36 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rich Kirkpatrick   Click Here to Email Rich Kirkpatrick     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A gathering would be fun for a couple of newbies from the west coast. I'm with Mambo,
the meeting of people will be gift enough. We want to meet as many LH lovers as possible. We land on Tuesday, bus trip on Wednesday and Thursday morn and Harbour Lights activity in the evening. There's got to be some time to shake some hands!!!!

Keepin' The Flame, Rich & Marilyn

Jo Ann/Texas
Registered Member

posted 04-15-2001 01:32 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Jo Ann/Texas   Click Here to Email Jo Ann/Texas     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We will be flying in around 11 pm on Tuesday but would love to be in the group if you have it at a later date.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers