The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  Lighthouse Humor
  Beavertail's History of Color Changes Revealed

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Beavertail's History of Color Changes Revealed
JChidester
Saint

posted 02-21-1999 12:52 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Up in the General Forum, ( http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000230.html ) KT asked "WHAT'S ACCURATE", referring to the tan vs. gray tower on HL's Beavertail lighthouse.

That question got me doing some research and what I uncovered about Beavertail's history may well result in yet another color change or two for the Harbour Lights model.

In this famous photo by Man Ray of Rock Hudson (left) and Jayne Mansfield (right), the tower's color certainly looks gray:

But a similarly posed photo by Man Ray taken just a few hours later shows how the lighthouse tower takes on the tan color as the sun is setting.

What's not generally known is that the Coast Guard experimented with different colors for BeaverTail lighthouse during the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.

In the 50's, the charcoal gray tower was painted pink:

During the 60's the tower looked to many locals like one giant Lava Lamp:

By the 70's the tower took on a more patriotic "All American Red" look:

The 1980s was a very interesting decade. No one at the Coast Guard would talk about it, but I now believe that Lockheed's 'Skunk Works' famous for the U2, SR71, and Stealth Fighters, received a contract to see if a lighthouse could benefit from application of 'stealth' technology.

I've learned Harbour Lights is considering re-releasing a new sculpture of Beavertail as a set of 5 matched edition numbered sets as soon as they master the 'stealth' coloration.

jakescol
Cruise Director

posted 02-21-1999 02:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jakescol   Click Here to Email jakescol     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
John, could we get a tye-died one. It would make a great conversation piece. If we can get one do we have to buy one of each of the other colors to get it.
Jake LOL

Rod Watson
Saint

posted 02-21-1999 02:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rod Watson   Click Here to Email Rod Watson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
...appears that Rock & Jayne has not aged through all those years...a tribute to plastic clothes and surgery.

-RodW[This message has been edited by Rod Watson (edited 02-21-99).]

FredKuhl
Cruise Director

posted 02-21-1999 04:35 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FredKuhl   Click Here to Email FredKuhl     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tried to get ahold of SeAnDiEgO to check on the accuracy of this report and got ahold of the beaver instead. I asked him and here is his reply: "Don't step on the Beavertail and certainly don't try to paint it!".

Art
Cruise Director

posted 02-21-1999 11:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The lava lamp version was probably an effective day mark, albeit a bit brutal to the senses. The coverse is true of the stealth version. Seems like a lack of direction from the top to me!

(Lack of direction? Our government?)

Rudderless,

-Art

rscroope
WACKO

posted 02-22-1999 12:55 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Thank you John for the REAL Story of Beavertail. Now, did you know that the "Beavertail" LH was renamed "Psychedelic Light" by a group of Hippies in the 60's who established a commune nearby. They often saw all these colours and more on their visits to the LH.

Art
Cruise Director

posted 02-22-1999 01:23 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Art   Click Here to Email Art     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was also quite impressed by the patience of Janet and David Lee as they watched the various iterations unfold before them. Figure 48 hours minimum between coats of paint... those two must have been standing there at least 10 days!

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers