The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The General Forum
  Great Finds This Week Part V

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Great Finds This Week Part V
Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 08-31-2000 08:49 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Since Part IV is at 49, I'm starting a new thread.

Part I: http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum1/HTML/000218.html

Part II: http://216.46.163.97/forums/Forum1/HTML/000370.html

Part III:
http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000576.html

Part IV: http://www.lighthousekeepers.com/forums/Forum1/HTML/000730.html

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 08-31-2000).]

Sonic59

posted 09-03-2000 06:06 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Sonic59   Click Here to Email Sonic59     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Returning from a camping trip over the Labor Day weekend, we stopped at a dealer we haven't been to in some time. We found a Seven Foot Knoll and Old Field Point at 40% off. We've been wanting these two pieces to add to our collection. We are glad we waited.

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-04-2000 09:21 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Congrats on a great find, Sonic!

Bob

Rrronne
WACKO

posted 09-05-2000 12:40 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rrronne   Click Here to Email Rrronne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Stopped by a Hallmark shop that was closing out some overstock HLs. Got A Gray's Harbor
variation for 1/2 price and a Yaquina Bay at
75% off.

------------------
Randall Ronne

Rusty
WACKO

posted 09-06-2000 03:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rusty   Click Here to Email Rusty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Congratulations Sonic and Randall! They are so much fun when you find a real steal!

Rusty

Brent
WACKO

posted 09-06-2000 07:56 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Brent   Click Here to Email Brent     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
While I was on my trip to Michigan I got a heck of a deal on the Anchor Bay Ship, "Chesapeake"......77 Bucks!! The small gift shop was located in Mackinaw City and it was the last one they had. Apparently they will be closing down for the winter (soon) and alot of their general merchandise is on-sale. I guess its a case of being at the right place, at the right time.

TD
WACKO

posted 09-17-2000 02:31 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TD   Click Here to Email TD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Purchased the following at 50% off on Saturday:
1. Round Island
2. Hudson Athens
3. South Bass
4. East Quoddy
That's the good news. The bad news is the store is dropping Harbour Lights.

TDSimpson
WACKO

posted 09-17-2000 12:09 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TDSimpson   Click Here to Email TDSimpson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Congrats to all on your great finds. The only great find that we have found recently is that since our regular dealer dropped the Harbour Lights line we somehow have a lot more money in our checking account.

Tom & Diane

akmn
WACKO

posted 09-17-2000 04:14 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for akmn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
What store did you get those four at TD? We're in Minnesota too ...any left???

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-2000 04:20 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Well, ...I almost had a great find. I saw a Portland Head LE on eBay with a starting bid of $249, no reserve. There were several pictures of it showing a minor paint flaw on the roof. Good buy for the opening bid I thought. No one bid all week except for me. A few hours before the close of the auction, I ran my proxy bid up a little to cover in case of a last minute bid. I was the winning bid until there was one minute left, then the war began. To make a long story short I was outbid in the last 36 seconds. The computer wouldn't accept my final bid. So close but yet so far.

Bob

rscroope
Cruise Director

posted 09-17-2000 08:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for rscroope   Click Here to Email rscroope     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I got a Rose Island Reunion set - reunion and mini from a post on Marketplace that seemed to good to be true. But it was legit!

TERRY BARFIELD
WACKO

posted 09-20-2000 07:22 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TERRY BARFIELD   Click Here to Email TERRY BARFIELD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Great Captain Island: $65 total.
Primo condition,from the Marketplace.

TerryBarfield

Rock
WACKO

posted 09-25-2000 09:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rock   Click Here to Email Rock     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
From the PacNW: La Martre & Whitefish Pt both 40% off from OR dealer going out of business and rarer regular-edition Toledo tugboat 50% off from WA dealer dropping Anchor Bay line.

[This message has been edited by Rock (edited 09-25-2000).]

easya
WACKO

posted 09-25-2000 04:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for easya   Click Here to Email easya     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rock, Triple WOW!
Joe

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 09-25-2000 10:12 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Purchased a Currituck Beach online for retail, and received it Friday. I am extremely happy with this purchase!

Tim - Keeping the flame lit...

TERRY BARFIELD
WACKO

posted 09-28-2000 12:11 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for TERRY BARFIELD   Click Here to Email TERRY BARFIELD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
At a nearby dealer today, I found a Motor Yacht "Kim" and a Tugboat Toledo on sale.Total for both:$79.I`m getting that "I CAN RULE THE WORLD" feeling.

Terry

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 09-28-2000 08:41 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Good deal there Terry! Between those and Chesapeake, you have done very well. By chance, were those puchased at the same dealer as Chesapeake? By the way, look forward to seeing you at the regional.

pharologst
WACKO

posted 09-28-2000 11:57 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I live near CYPRESS GARDENS (FL) and they carry HL's in the gift shop. As a season pass holder I get 10%off PLUS $20 off every $100 spent. For instance i just got Sturgeon Bay (retail $90) for $61.60. Buy one every time I go there!!
Pharologst, KEEP THE

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-28-2000).]

TERRY BARFIELD
WACKO

posted 09-28-2000 08:44 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TERRY BARFIELD   Click Here to Email TERRY BARFIELD     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
White River LH arrived.Ordered from a dealer in WI. It pays to ask questions in emails.This one had never been on display.$45 plus shipping($6.50)!

Terry Barfield

pharologst
WACKO

posted 09-29-2000 03:37 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

Got the tip from Rmau here on-site, and I purchased a MIB St. George's Reef (#115), SIGNED for $65 total delivered!!!! This Gift shop (Dewitt, NY) has one more left at $60+shipping(unsigned). (Email me if you want contact info on the shope, for some reason they willl not accept CCards over the phone, so you have to use snail-mail and checks!!)

Pharologst

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-29-2000).]

JimJohnson
Cruise Director

posted 09-29-2000 04:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JimJohnson   Click Here to Email JimJohnson     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey Pharologst, thanks for your note. Yours is the first complete cycle I have seen at R@R, I sent that lighthouse sighting to Rick, and now I know who got the light. What a great system.
Jim
Johnson

pharologst
WACKO

posted 09-29-2000 04:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for pharologst   Click Here to Email pharologst     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimJohnson:
Hey Pharologst, thanks for your note. Yours is the first complete cycle I have seen at R@R, I sent that lighthouse sighting to Rick, and now I know who got the light. What a great system.
Jim
Johnson

A BIG THANKS ! to you for your eagle eye!!
Pharologst

[This message has been edited by pharologst (edited 09-29-2000).]

mombo
Cruise Director

posted 09-29-2000 09:08 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for mombo   Click Here to Email mombo     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hey JJ, I think I also reported St. Georges Reef! I'll take credit for the one they have left!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 09-29-2000 09:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I know I mentioned my latest find in another thread but I am extremely pleased to announce in this thread that I purchased a Ch-2 in mint condition. I find out it right in the "Marketplace" thread here at the forum. I consider it to be a "great find".

Bob

RMau
Cruise Director

posted 09-29-2000 10:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for RMau   Click Here to Email RMau     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jim & Mombo,

It is kinda neat that you can see the results of your sharing leads with R@R. Thanks for your continuing efforts to help other collectors around the country.

R@R

Cana Fan
WACKO

posted 10-04-2000 02:15 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cana Fan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A shop near my home (Oakshire Shop in Schaumburg Il.) is going out of business. 20% off Harbour Lights. This alone is ok, but I picked up their Red Legacy Light for $79.00. Perfect condition, with the box to boot!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 10-04-2000 08:05 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
My second great find of the last week or so arrived today. It's the limited edition St. Augustine. I was very fortunate to get it for a good price on eBay. Until about a week ago I needed 4 LEs to complete my collection. Getting CH-2 and St. Augustine in the same week was a little tough on the wallet but well worth it. Now if I could only find Portland Head and Coquille at a yard sale...

Bob

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 10-09-2000 10:58 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi Folks,

I have a request as Cruise Director of this forum. In fairness to other dealers honoring their contract with Harbour Lights not to sell at reduced prices, please do not give out specific information as to where you found your great buy, not even a city location. We all want to share in your good news, but leave out the details on the retailers.

Thanks,

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-09-2000).]

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-11-2000 08:54 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I found a place that is going out of the HL business. They are selling their entire stock at 30% off.

I bought 3. I'll be back there in the near future and may buy more.

I got the following items-
Hunting Island, SC- 52
Old Point Comfort, VA- 57
Fenwick, DE- 57

Dennis

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 10-11-2000 10:39 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I purchased yesterday a Bald Head, NC for $80.00 plus shipping, edition number 64. That (other than a CH1) has completed my NC collection.

TURBO271
WACKO

posted 10-15-2000 05:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for TURBO271     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I ran into some good luck today as we toured Rhode Island looking at Lighthouses. I found a Red Legacy HL600 at a store for $64.00. It was a good find and rounded out a great day of lighthousing.

Turbo

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 10-16-2000).]

akmn
WACKO

posted 10-19-2000 03:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for akmn     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Picked up a Stonington Harbor for 55.00 with tax at a dealer going out of business. No box, but we did get the society pin of that year pin as a consolation!

akmn

wheland
WACKO

posted 10-19-2000 04:42 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for wheland   Click Here to Email wheland     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I picked up a signed matched set of Morris Island Now/ Then for $99 on ebay.

I'm not sure this qualifies as a great deal as it's only one of a number available at that price. But 1/3 off retail is a deal to me.

Dennis

Joanne
Cruise Director

posted 11-06-2000 09:23 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Joanne   Click Here to Email Joanne     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was driving and happened to come a cross a clearing warehouse sale for a store move and stopped in to see what was available.

I bought a Sunken Rock for $19 and an Umpqua River for $38, both MIB. Unfortunately I found a chip on the Castle Hill which was also selling for $38. I passed on the Castle Hill. But did great on the other two.

Joanne

[This message has been edited by Joanne (edited 11-06-2000).]

Bill Harnsberger
Cruise Director

posted 11-07-2000 07:52 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bill Harnsberger   Click Here to Email Bill Harnsberger     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
There are certain lighthouses I'm just not moved to buy at full price. It doesn't mean I don't like them, it's just that other pieces take priority. So it's fun to find the occasional "scratch and dent" deal.

I got a Haig Point for $20 because of a tiny chip on the picnic table. I got an Old Point Comfort for $25 because there was a little lump of resin under the felt at the base that made it sit a little funny. Otherwise the piece was perfect. And I snagged a Kilauea for $20 because the ventilator ball had been sheared off. I glued it back and it's barely noticable.

I'll disclaim this by saying I would never ever consider re-selling them to anyone---they're damaged goods. But for purposes of my own personal collection, they work just fine. And the price was certainly right.

Cana Fan
WACKO

posted 11-07-2000 08:55 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Cana Fan     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
This isn't a great fing this week, but it was a great find a few months back. On a business trip, I stopped in a shop and bought a L.E, Sanibell at 30% off. On a later trip, found a Point Arena at retail. Store owner had just uncovered it from the warehouse a day earlier. It pays to shop around!

Bob M
Cruise Director

posted 11-07-2000 01:27 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Bob M   Click Here to Email Bob M     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I was the high bidder on the Anchor Bay 108S, Purse Seiner, on eBay. Picked it up for $81.68. I consider that a good deal. Now if it can get here without any breakage I'll be really happy.

Bob

jchesher
WACKO

posted 11-13-2000 08:32 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for jchesher   Click Here to Email jchesher     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I am very proud to say that I just brought home a Big Bay Point at retail ($75.00) from a collector who is selling part of his collection. See my post in the Marketplace. That is certainly the best deal I have ever walked into and it is the last of the Christmas pieces that I needed. I wish I would have called him a week earlier when I first got his name and I probably could have gotten the couple of other old ones I was looking for. Oh well I'll just take my BBP and be happy!!!

Torchbearer
Cruise Director

posted 11-13-2000 09:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Torchbearer   Click Here to Email Torchbearer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just so everyone doesn't misunderstand Jim's post (jcheser), not all of the lights for sale are at retail. Tybee for instance, is going for $250.00. Jim... thanks for posting as I just purchased a light from this gentleman as well.

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers