The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The General Forum
  Didn't Want My Business

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Didn't Want My Business
FrankB
WACKO

posted 11-24-1999 12:21 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for FrankB   Click Here to Email FrankB     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
A short while ago I placed an order with Lighthouse Depot - a book on the Cape Hatteras Light, the Lighthouses of the United State map (excellent), and the Harbour Lights 1998 ornament set. I received the book and the map with a packing list that indicated "No Longer Available" for the ornament set. I was surprised that Lighthouse Depot would stop carrying a HL item that was not yet retired.
I was going to call them and ask about this, but before I did I went near one of my local dealers and asked about the set there. They told me they couldn't order the set because it had been discontinued.
So, I decided I had better check out my facts before I called Lighthouse Depot. I called HL and they confirmed that the 1998 set was still available.
I then called Lighthouse Depot to ask about the sheet sent to me saying "No Longer Available". The rep I was speaking to told me this was because the manufacturer had discontinued the item. I informed her of what HL had told me earlier in the day. She put me on hold for a moment, then returned to tell me their their purchasing rep assured her that the item had been discontinued; and that perhaps the HL rep had misunderstood me and thought I had said "1999" when I spoke to them.
It was certainly a possibility that I had been misunderstood, so I asked her "If when I call HL back to find out if I was misunderstood, they confirm that the 1998 set is still available, then should I ask for anyone specifically when I call Lighthouse Depot back to reorder the item?" She told me that if HL told me the set was still available, then I should ask them to refer me to a dealer who could order the item for me. I was amazed that Lighthouse Depot would not want my business and had no interest in having a misunderstanding, if it was on their part, being corrected.
I then called Emily's Hallmark, a local dealer, to ask them about ordering the set for me. They also told me the set had been discontinued. I told them about what HL had told me and asked if they would mind checking with HL. They said they would be glad to call the HL sales rep right away. A few minutes later they called back to say the item was on order for me.

Which bring me back to the Lighthouse Depot rep. I don't think it was a case of having no interest in my business. I believe her comment reflected the attitude that she considered their being in error impossible. I found her attitude to be arrogant and insulting, especially since it did in fact turn out to be Lighthouse Depot that had their facts wrong.

FrankB

JChidester
Saint

posted 11-24-1999 08:46 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for JChidester   Click Here to Email JChidester     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lighthouse Depot should have gotten a call today to confirm that the 1998 set was still available.

On average, I'd say Lighthouse Depot does a great job for all us lighthouse nuts with unique items and a great selection of Harbour Lights. Sounds like they dropped the ball on your recent order. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Michael and Karen Power
unregistered

posted 11-24-1999 10:00 PM           Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
When we left the Reunion in Providence, we had reservations at a time share in Central Maine. Our first thought was, finally we will be able to stop at Lighthouse Depot in Wells on our way up.

We arrived about 20 minutes before closing. We were both so excited and went rushing into the store. We were promptly met with a very curt "We are closing in just a few minutes." We explained that we had come from the Reunion of HL in Providence and on our way north and may never get back this way again. We assured them we would hurry and asked how much time we had before they closed. One lady told us five minutes. Another said, (I believe), Oh no, we don't close until 5 pm, which gave us about 18 minutes to browse. We were followed throughout the shop by two different clerks. One on my tail and one on Michael's and we were reminded every few minutes by the people following us that they were closing soon.

So, I can't say that our experience with Lighthouse Depot was that great. Frank, maybe you and Michael and I got the same clerks who needs to do a little attitude adjusting.

We did tell a couple in an antique shop just down the road (who are friends of the people who own the Lighthouse Depot) about our experience. They assured us they would pass on the story of our experience to them. Sounds like these ladies may still be there.

On the more positive side, it's a really great store for those who have not been there. We managed to enjoy it thoroughly even with our bird dogs breathing just over our shoulders.

Randy Kremer
WACKO

posted 11-25-1999 10:47 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Randy Kremer   Click Here to Email Randy Kremer     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
We stayed in Wells, Maine for 2 days just before the reunion started last year. We visted the store about 4 times during our stay! (Too much to take in with just one visit!).
On our last visit on the last day the new Lighthouse Digest was setting on the counter for sale. So I asked the clerk if I could have one for being such a good customer.(We spent over $500.00 in there during our 2 day
spending spree! The lady clerk told me they were giving away copies to the bus tours that
came through on the previous days. I told her
that I had spent over $500.00 in the store during our stay and I thought it would be nice if she would give me one! After some hesitation, she gave me one! Wasn't that nice of her? It's a great place to visit, but they need to work on customer service. Also, does anyone know
if they installed bathrooms in the store yet? As of last October, the only facilities were
port-a-potties in the back of the store!
How's that for customer srevice?

NiagaraLady
WACKO

posted 12-05-1999 10:28 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for NiagaraLady   Click Here to Email NiagaraLady     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
In all fairness to Lighthouse Depot, I have
to comment on the excellent customer service we received while vacationing in Maine in September, 1998. I don't recall the salesman's name but he was a retired gentlemen working part time at the store - he spent over an hour with us telling us all about Harbour Lights. We purchased four (the beginning of the Harbour Lights Syndrome we now have and may have to seek counseling for.....or at the very least, a supportive group)!!! He had our purchase held and Bill Younger signed all four pieces
the next day and they were shipped to us in
New York all arriving in perfect condition.
I can still remember our excitement opening
those blue boxes........

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers