The Collector Forums are provided as a service to Harbour Lights collectors and others Interested in lighthouses world-wide by Lighthouse Keepers. The posts reflect the opinions of the individual. Not affiliated with Harbour Lights or Younger & Associates.

UBBFriend: Email This Page to Someone!
  Collector Forums
  The General Forum
  Florida Visit

profile | register | preferences | faq | search

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Author Topic:   Florida Visit
dwood
WACKO

posted 08-16-1999 11:33 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for dwood   Click Here to Email dwood     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I just returned from a meeting in Miami. While there, I visited (almost) Cape Florida. The first time I went out there (after the meeting was over for the day) I discovered that one could tour the lighthouse at 10:00 and at 1:00. So the next day I went out at 12:45. When I got to the gate for the State park, the person at the booth informed me that the tour was full for the day. Apparently, they take 10 people at 10 am and 10 people at 1 pm. You have to get there 1/2 to 1 hour prior to to sign up. I did prevail on the park ranger to let me inside the fence so I could get pictures of the lighthouse and the keepers house. But no climbing.

I made a quick trip to Key West. The lighthouse there is part of a museum. They had no guided tour as such. You just paid your money and went in to the grounds and climbed the tower by yourself. The light and the museum in the keepers house were beautiful.

Dixie

GAIL
WACKO

posted 09-06-1999 09:31 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for GAIL   Click Here to Email GAIL     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hi, I'm glad you got to see Key West. I'm sorry you missed Cape Fl. But thanks for the information on the tours. I will probably try to get down there early next year (I'll be sure to put my name in early)

Rusty
WACKO

posted 09-10-1999 09:46 AM     Click Here to See the Profile for Rusty   Click Here to Email Rusty     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Just got back from Florida a few weeks ago, and visited St. Augustine, and Ponce. Both are self guided tours, and in excellent condition. Enjoyed both of them. It was well worth the trip!
Rusty

Pam Baggett

posted 09-11-1999 10:10 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for Pam Baggett   Click Here to Email Pam Baggett     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rusty,
I too just returned from St. Augustine and Ponce. I was inspired to go by the pictures posted by someone here on the forum and decided to take a quick trip from TN to FL over the Labor Day weekend.
You are absolutely right!!! Well worth the 11 hour drive and I really enjoyed both of them. By the way I got the same pictures from atop St. Augustine that inspired me to go. These two beacons are highly recommended.
Pam

DALE LAWRENCE
WACKO

posted 09-15-1999 11:50 PM     Click Here to See the Profile for DALE LAWRENCE   Click Here to Email DALE LAWRENCE     Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
I too recently visited St. Augustine and Ponce. I also went to St. Simon, Jupiter, Hilsboro, and Cape Florida. I ran into the schedule problem at Cape Florida too. I did get to go into the park and get some great pictures but sure would like to have climbed. A lot of Driving but well worth the trip. I Saw Key West, Egmont Key, Sanibel, Boca Grande, and Gasperilla Rear Range lights on another trip. Great Lights in Florida. Hope to return for those in the Pan Handle next spring.
Dale

All times are ET (US)

next newest topic | next oldest topic

Administrative Options: Close Topic | Archive/Move | Delete Topic
Hop to:

Contact Us | Collector Forums

Contents Copyright Lighthouse Keepers