Dennis,

The yyyymmdd format is used heavily in things related to communications especially. Used it for 20 years in my former life. It allows the quickest sorting by date of any system because it is the logical progression. There are no hyphens or other punctuation used, and it is always 8 digits long. Sometimes you will see a time stamp attached (sererated by a space), usually in Zulu time.

If you think about how a computer sorts numbers, 20060403 comes before 20060404 and after 20060402. Anything that uses computer logs really benefits from a system such as this.

However, the common use of date indicator in the US is mmddyyyy, often seperated by a hyphen or a slash, sometimes a period. I think the tidbit you shared is interesting. Are you going to stay up to observe the happenin - thanks. Are you going to stay up to observe the happening and report for us?

Those that use the non-US format while in the US tend to screw things up on a fairly large scale. I have a birthday that is a single digit day in a single digit month. Those that do not adhere to the standard methodology move my birthdate by 3 months and can cause issues because all of a sudden data in one system does not agree with data in another.