Here's my opinion of why.

When you're looking for things short-term, I tend to look for them within the last month or so. In that month, each date only occured once. With the DD/MM/YYYY method, you only need to look for the date in your papers or filename or whatever, and don't have to dig past the months - most of which could be the same, or in the case of spelled out words, varying lengths - to find the specific date.

With long-term, YYYY-MM-DD is best, especially when using a computer. Example: I bring my laptop to school, and use a filing system like this to classify my notes and stuff. Today's Latin notes are 2006-4-3 LAT notes. I can easily go into my Word documents and immediately see all my notes organised by date. It makes life much easier when we have to refer back to old notes - all I have to do is know when we learned the subject (or use clues in other filenames like "industrialrevstudyguide" to get an idea) and immedately open all the notes from a unit.

So for me, it's grown from my Anglophilic quirk to a real logic thing. Kind of like how my spelling words in the international way has grown from Anglophility to a protest against what is basically a language created by Webster to be different from the British in the 19th Century.

Hi, my name is Greg, and I think about things way too much.