With all these straw polls in abundance trying to ascertain how and why we buy certain Harbour Lights, I have to say I just read 'em and chuckle.

Now, don't get me wrong; I mean no disrespect. I think polls are a meaningful way to acquire important data and I admire those who try to pin down the demographics of HL sales.

Why I'm chuckling is....I think the whole thing is quite amusing. I mean, if my own experience is any credible guide.

You all will have to pardon me in that I seem to spend a not inconsiderable amount of time laughing at myself. And here's why:

I started out buying HL as a solitary piece, a gift to my wife for suffering ten long years of medical school and surgical residency. I thought a meaningful and memorable lighthouse sculpture might ease her overloaded and troubled mind during times of stress.

The trouble is, without being quite fully aware of it, I was hooked myself. I bought one for me, too. BASS HARBOR HEAD, which we had climbed around during our honeymoon in Maine.

Suddenly, I had to collect ONE lighthouse from each state in the union which had lighthouses. Starting from Maine, my grand and logical, well-ordered and methodical plan was to buy ONE piece in each state, working my way southward and clockwise around the U.S. Yep, that was my plan and I was sticking to it.

Of course, being a johnny-come-lately to HL meant that no lighthouse was available in New Hampshire (WHALEBACK, alas, was retired and out of reach). Durn!

I bought several more, working my way south, picking up THOMAS POINT GLOW since that piece appealed to my sense of fine engineering, then decided to join the Harbour Lights Collectors Society, and this meant receiving BALTIMORE. Uh oh! TWO lights from the same state! Well,there goes my fine ordered plan.

Might as well pick up HL pieces which appeal to me without considering whether I'll end up with more than one from each state.

I got down to Florida, picking up CAPE FLORIDA just before it disappeared from the dealers shelves, and suddenly realized what a close-run thing this had been!

Now I was becoming more fully aware of the "mortality" of HL pieces. You couldn't count on a particular piece being available later on when your taste dictated finally buying it.

And so it came to pass that I bought HILLSBORO INLET before it was gone even though I thought it was largish and unattractive.

Then I read on this forum that a great many folks couldn't find this piece, and so, I bought another, thinking I'd be able to help out a fellow collector someday who wanted this one and couldn't find it. Then a Hallmark store in my area had a BIG sale, and then, and then ...I bought another! Yes, I now had three! What kind of planning is this?

At this point I realized that logic and planning play no part in purchasing decisions when you're a wacko. You just cave in and respond to your basic animal instincts.

My local dealer asked to have one of my extra HILLSBORO pieces since he couldn't get them anymore and needed it for a good customer. I was able to trade it to him for his personal SEA GIRT and AMELIA ISLAND, plus cash from him to make up the difference.

Was I a speculator? No, I don't think so. Was I hoping to reap a windfall? No, the money really had no bearing on why I bought three HILLSBOROs. I was simply responding to the fast-disappearing item, picking them up when able to do so and anticipating that someone out there would want them someday for the retail price I paid.

With 10 HL dealers in the Minneapolis area it's a supreme advantage for those who wish to shop around.

I still have two, and think I could have sold 25 of 'em if I had them.

Will I buy AMERICAN SHOALS? You betcha! Will I buy LIBERTY ENLIGHTENING THE WORLD? Why would you ask? Of course I will!

Who has a plan anymore? Who needs logic and a rational system of purchasing? Not me. I fought it hard and long; it was an epic struggle, but now I've seen the light! I have the truth in hand: I just react! I just do it!

Only problem is, I have to hide the new ones in the closet in the laundry basket so my wife continues to think all is well with me.

You see, she is unaware of the existence of wackos!

--From the confessions of a wacko, 1999.

------------------
Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild

Bob Steinbrunn
Nautical Research Guild