I'm into my second year of going into the classroom and talking to these young folks about lighthouses. Its been alot of fun and I find they really get interested in the folklore and history without much prompting. I find that it takes about the first 10-15 minutes "to break the ice"....then it becomes shear pleasure. I've been with 4th, 5th & 6th graders and one thing is obvious....no matter whether they've ever been to a lighthouse or not....there is something quite magical about the "lights" that the youngsters are totally facinated with. When you talk to them you can see their eyes really light up because, in alot of cases, not only have they never been to a lighthouse, but they don't know what they are or that there was such a thing.
From my vantage point....that's where the treasure lies. Its as though someone has empowered me to enlighten them about these fantastic structures. Talk about a feeling of joy when I leave the classroom...man....that's what it all about!

My next project is to go into some of the senior citizen centers and do the same thing. They may not be the "future" as in the case of the children....but they were a part of the past when the "lights" were a working part of our culture. Maybe they'll teach me a few things about'em!!

[This message has been edited by Brent (edited 09-19-2000).]

Brent
OBLHS Charter Member