Something my wife said one day when I was trying to justify my wanting to buy an expensive piece of coinage for my collection. I told her what it was worth and how much I was saving with the good deal I was getting and it was surely going to be worth much more later. She said "don't give me any of the c--p, you know you will never sell it so what it's going to be worth doesn't matter, you will never see it. If you want it, just say so, if you like it, just say so, but all this justification is just belogna!"

And you know what, she is right. We all have our excuses and justifications for collecting what we collect, but in the end, the only people who "MAKE" money are the people who have what we want and the people we leave it to when we die and they sell it. Value is simply: are we willing to pay what is asked for what we want. I just bought a Hatteras mold 2 (102R). I bought it because I was willing to pay the price asked now but I wasn't 5 years ago because the price was more than my resources allowed. I will also mention I will get the price of it back in the appreciation of the piece and the joy of having it; And of course, the bragging about it.

So, my advice is, buy what you want within the resources you have and enjoy having what you have without worrying about the money you have spent and the excuses you use to justify what you spent.

Enjoy collecting, That little old collector, me.