The last month or so, some lively discussions have been banterer about. I thought awhile before I decided to type this post but here it goes.

We've talked about loyalty to our dealers, not buying discounted pcs., keeping the better dealers viable etc. BUT, here again the company starts a promotion that takes business away from my area dealers!!!

GOLD = GIMMICK = the beginning of the end??

First are the regionals, where you have to buy a regional pc. or any LE from a participating dealer to obtain a voucher so as to be included in the GOLD drawing. Again, hurts the "autoship" collector and his/her dealer. Lets penalize the longtime collector who possibly has a complete or very near complete collection and probably has a great relationship with his dealer, to buy from another to have a chance to win "The Gold!"

These Regionals should be about seeing old friends and having pcs. signed and not "how many vouchers" do you have in the drawing. I know for most of us, the Regionals are still about being with friends. Lets keep it that way. Each person who makes the effort, whether a long or short journey, is given one voucher. It doesn't matter if you only buy one or a dozen of the Regional pcs. It is just nice that you came.

Now, we have the signing events. The second quest for the "GOLD!" Longtime collectors who made the journey before to say hi to old friends and have a couple of pcs. signed. Now, we have to buy LE's from different dealers than our own in order to get a chance at another "GOLD" bauble. In our area, we haven't had a Rep in about two years. The one we did have, for a very short time, was a "joke" and I hope he went back to selling candles. The question is -- why do we not still have a rep? I know, someone will say that HL doesn't hire the reps and it is done through agencies etc. Fine, but HL needs to make sure that it does happen.
Good dealers do not always know what is going on and the Reps help with that.

I know it is a very hard time in the collectible market and I have to believe my cherished Harbour Lights are hurting and are also fighting to survive. I just do not like the way it is starting to go. They have to find new collectors out there somewhere but do they really believe "GOLD" is the way. If they do, I hope they find them. What I see, is that they are losing the old and the proud, the longtimers who are starting to give up their autoship numbers and selling some of their real "treasures."

Some out there might say I am just saying this because I haven't been lucky enough to win the "GOLD!" Truthfully I haven't, but I do have the real gold - the Coquille, the Hatty, the Belles and my old and dear friends.

It seems that the collectors aren't talking as much about the old classics anymore and more about the "GOLDS" but unfortunately the classics are what keep the collectible going. The new collectors need to know that as much as the old. I hope they have time to learn this while doing their quest for the "GOLD!"

I hate to see old friends giving up their numbers and maybe some of the HL tradition along with it. I know dollars and space are always going to be problems. Somehow though, I think there is more to it than that.
You see, I am one of the lucky ones that do have them all. I just have not been one to talk about it. The funny thing is, the first time I decide to mention my collection is when I am starting to debate about selling some of it.

So to close, I hope I am wrong about the beginning of the end. But - because I am even thinking about it - has to bring it to question. I just hope Harbour Lights is still listening.

"GOLDLESS" Kaiz

[This message has been edited by Kaiz (edited 02-10-2002).]