Why do I always drag myself into these things?

I have to throw in a few things, I just can't sit by on this one.

Harbour Lights are made in Communist China. So be it! So are our shirts, toys, electronics, etc., etc., so on and so forth. It's part of life! Just because a country is not just like ours doesn't mean it's evil, and over the years China HAS made some steps in making life better for their people. Most of us have been raised in a Cold War atomosphere and just because someone is a "Damn Commie", we automatically think they are a bad person. It's just a basic fact of life that most of the manufactured products in this country are maunfactured in China.
I have, like you Crusader, been collecting since 1998 (so, yes, most of my collection has the little "Made in China" sticker). I have been invovled in these forums for about 3 years now, and I feel that if any "clique" exists, it is among people who frequently post, or frequently participate in the weekly chats. Just because you burst in with your 1st post and expect everybody give you the same attention as someone who's been involved for a time, doesn't mean it's going to happen. This group has no problem accepting new people, regardless of age location, race, etc. And if they do, they have the common courteousy to keep it to themselves. I feel that you need to gain some credibility, let people get to know you. When you posted, no doubt you were a complete stranger, and if a complete stranger came up to you and said "Stop doing this." Would you give it any thought? I wouldn't!
And I love America. It is my home, and I'm glad it is. It is one of the best countries in the world, and I love the fact that our country has a constitution that guarantees us rights others in the world don't have. But just because a country doesn't have them, mean they're bad.
Finally, knowing the Youngers, I highly doubt that they would accept their product being made in terrible conditions. To know that that is happening in the manufacture of your product, you have to have a cold heart. And TRUST ME Crusader, these are some of the warmest people I know! They also send someone over to China quite frequently (I think every month?) to inspect their operations there. I assure you, if the conditions did not meet their approval, Harbour Lights would not be manufactured there.

Whew! That was a biggun!

Stephen (Jakers)

PS- And If you still think that it's such and exclusive group, keep this in mind: When I first started on these forums, I was 13 years old. And let me tell you, I was actually quite surprised that I was accepted so warmly. In most other places like this, I think it would've gone differently. Many time have I discussed my interests with adults, and I have come across my fair share of those who just see me as "some kid." These people in this forum got to know me, instead of just shunning me. That is a testament to what a great bunch this is!

[This message has been edited by Jake (edited 05-07-2001).]

Jakers