That's depressing, though I saw it coming. Lasting three months is pretty good, though, for a light in that state.

The sad thing is the lantern room. If they had been able to remove that before, then it was in perfect shape. It would have been a great way to crown off a replica. Sad...

But, at least, the way it collapsed, everything is pretty much there...it's easier to replicate and restore (the latter in the loosest form of the word).

Don't know if any of you watch NBC Nightly News, but today and yesterday, they've been reporting from NOLA...yesterday from the Superdome, today from the Ninth Ward. Today, watching Brian Williams standing in front of what used to be houses blocks away from one of the burst levees, it put New Canal into perspective for me.

The lighthouse was right near one of the canals, and maybe a levee (I don't remember). Even if it wasn't flooding of 9W magnitude, it's still a miracle that it survived this much this long. Look at lights like Chandeleur and West Rigolets - they're completely, 100% gone - no trace left. At least here, they have somewhat-whole ruins to work with.

I guess it's a sort of lemons/lemonade thing...