Quote:
New Canal is way beyond repair or restoration.
I must disagree. Have you ever seen the pictures of the keepers house at Currituck before it was restored? It begged to have a match put to it. Once, I was told about West Rigolets, let it fall, it will be easier to build a duplicate. That may be true in a practical sense, however, there is something missing with all new parts, like workmenship. Locally they made a replica of Fort Christmas as the original had rotted away many moons ago, but they did too good of a job, the fort is too perfect. The original was built in less than one week, the replica took one year. Yes better to have a replica then nothing, but better to have at least some of the orginal in the project. Not only that, those who save the Light will continue to work hard for that Light and to pass on the stories etc.

There is a new car that looks like a classic, but I bet most people, given the choice, would take the restored classic. (Sorry, I can't think of which car it is.)

Eric, Florida Keys Reef Lights Foundation; Godfather of Jones Point River Lighthouse; member and District Commissioner of Florida Lighthouse Association et el